• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

United buys 40 EMB175s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The 570 were trained before the strike. Management's plan was have them cross the line along with the predicted droves of UAL line pilots that would follow. Unfortunately, only 6% of line pilots struck and almost all of the 570 struck.

They are far from what any rational person would characterize as scabs.

https://crewroom.alpa.org/ual/DesktopModules/ViewDocument.aspx?DocumentID=43002

No login required

Hey I'm a fan. Mostly you post good stuff, doesn't mean I agree all the time but it's interesting. Not counting the high water thing.

As for the rest you have to get your numbers straight. The 539 are scabs ie they did turn a wheel. The group I think you are referring to is the 550 which I would say about half of them would have crossed.

I agree with and appreciate what you post most of the time as well. I have not met an Eastern guy I didn't like. I'm right around the seniority level of a large number of them that I've known since I got here. So no matter the dialog we have on here, in the back of my mind I envision you're part of a real sharp group.

The 570 were trained before the strike. Management's plan was have them cross the line along with the predicted droves of UAL line pilots that would follow. Unfortunately, only 6% of line pilots struck and almost all of the 570 struck.

No login required

Fair enough. I didn't realize the timeline was as such. Thanks for the link.

If those 570 had been at CAL, they would be on the Master List. Anybody who started class at CAL in '83 to '85 during the strike is a scab. At LUAL during their strike, you were only a scab if you turned a wheel.

That being said, which airline currently has more scabs per the LCAL definition?

I found it surprising that the LCAL definition was more strict than those "hardcore" unionists at UAL. Guess you can't believe much of what you hear through the grapevine.

Don't forget the scabs kids, many of whom l-cal picked up with reaaalll low time.

No login required

The 570 were new hires in the face of an emminent strike, and I think most of them knew that getting hired and training when they did, mgt hired them to cross the picket line. Kuddos to them for not getting off the bus and crossing the line, BUT their actions up to that point would have put them on the CAL list. (from what we all know about the CAL strike) That was 85. In 86 when the Frontier acquisition was being planned, it was mainly the 570 (others too) who went to UAL ALPA leadership and insisted that they deserved better than to allow Frontier pilots in with any seniority. So, even though all Frontier pilots honored the picket line, they were dropped to make the 570s happy. (no other way to do it. ALPA Merger OR fragmentation policy, either would have given the Frontier pilots more than the 570 were comfortable with) That's how these pilots have been captains forever. That's also what set the example for the proposed actions UAL planned for USAir and America West in the late 90s. BTW: You won't read this in Flying the Line. BUT, you can bet each arbitrator remembers. They were set to handle Frontier/UAL SLI.

So here we are now, L-UAL ALPA thinks merger policy [longevity] is great once again. For that 1000 or so hired after 1986: You wouldn't have that longevity if UAL ALPA had done the right thing by merger policy in the first place.

Last edited:
The Frontier pilots were integrated into Continental by Nicalau. In fact, L-UAL's current SLI opener holds up that specific integration as an example they feel helps their case. How arrogant can you get?!

*edit* I will admit, I think that SLI example is there because it's valid. It was done right. I imagine the arbitrators find this in equally poor taste as any of us who remember what UAL ALPA did, however I don't think they will factor it in as it's only going to really hurt the very junior, who've been hurt enough.

Last edited:
With 70 large RJs on order, UAL can't even add the last couple of them until a Small narrow body aircraft is placed on property. UAL is already hiring like gangbusters, wait til they add the SNB aircraft.

SCOPE CHOKE!

Well done UAL/CAL MECs!

You must also believe there is a pilot shortage?

Latest resources

Back