Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Who's code is the flight operating under? Who's airline purchases every seat on that flight?
Obviously mainline. However, mainline also outsourced the work. I don't see why some mainline pilots (most seem to remember that they too once worked for a regional) feel that all regional pilots are scum. It makes no sense to me. We all do the EXACT same job.

I don't know why some mainline pilots feel that they have priority on an a/c that is being operated by a different company, regardless of the colors on the airplane.

This is a simple fix. Code the computer to recognize the different flight #'s and be done with it. To me, the current situation is mainline being stubborn and the regionals finally getting tired of being walked on.

If I ever go to fly for a mainline, any mainline, I hope I don't forget where I came from.

Huh?
I think the letter is working. Enough that PCL called a friend at UAL and is talking about it. Bet your friend didn't even know there was a problem did he? Sometimes a slap upside the head is all thats needed with a young one.

They purchase every seat in the cabin. The extra seat up front doesn't belong to the mainline partner.

Agreed. That seat belongs to the Captain. Look people, this shouldn't be a big problem. The gate agent and her computer system don't own your jumpseat; you do. If the computer system isn't prioritizing the way you'd like, then you prioritize yourself per your FOM's guidance. I sure as hell didn't need a computer program to tell me who was riding on my jumpseat. If a UAL and a UAX pilot both show up for a UAX jumpseat, the computer may give the UAL guy priority, but you have the final decision as to who rides. You don't need the software to agree with you.

Huh?
I think the letter is working. Enough that PCL called a friend at UAL and is talking about it. Bet your friend didn't even know there was a problem did he?

No, he didn't, but he immediately got off the phone and told the CA he was flying with. How much you wanna bet that this CA won't be allowing UAX jumpseaters on his airplane anymore? And how much you wanna bet that word of this idiotic letter is spreading around UAL and pissing them off? They aren't going to demand a change from their MEC. They're going to demand a counter-attack. That's what happens when you threaten an already pissed off group. They aren't going to suddenly sympathize with your plight when you threaten them. The smart solution would have been a letter that was only informative and contained no threats. Adding the threat into the letter was a huge mistake. Prepare for war.

....it worked with the Soviet Union.....

That seems to be the rub here. But.....

1. The UAL MEC didn't write the software.

2. They are not the enemy here.

3. They want to get to work too.

I find it hard to believe there was a conspiracy with the union and management to block regional pilots from the jumpseat. I also find it hard to believe they wouldn't put pressure on United management to get the issue resolved.
Well,
1)I did not write the software either, but my jumpseat will be given to a pilot from another company ahead of me.

2) Agreed, just want my jumpseat to remain my jumpseat

3)If they wanna go to work on my jumpseat they better get the agreed upon recriprical jumseat agreement deets fixed.

PBR

Frankly, I'm not too concerned about what big ol' UAL is going to do. Like others have said/written, I can get from coast to coast on any UAX carrier. Let's see how easy it is for a UAL guy to get out of many of the small markets served only by UAX carriers starting August 1.

GD UAL MEC has been the problem the entire time here, and it's time he fixes it, or starts eating some of the crap he's been shoveling.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back