Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If you pass out that letter, prepare for war. I just got off the phone with a friend of mine from UAL. His response was, shall we say, not friendly towards UAX. Most rank-and-file UAL pilots will probably support you if you go about this the right way. If you hand out threatening letters, they'll go on the offense and tear you to shreds.

You must not have read the letter that you plan on handing out. From the letter:

"UAX pilots will be left with no other choice but to deny all UAL pilots any requests for the jumpseat, regardless of aircraft tail-colors beginning 07/31/08"

Threats aren't a great way to fix problems.

Oh my, time for a reality check. PCL, the quintessential know nothing big mouth of this group, called ONE FRIEND AT UAL and from that has determined that the UAL pilots will "shred" the UAX pilots. Everybody get that?

PCL, give it a rest. Nobody cares what you think. And quit acting like the authority on ALPA just because you were a rep at Pinnacle for a few years. Cause, you know, Pinnacle is really the "flagship" of ALPA represented pilots with that great contract an all, right?

PCL, this is none of your business. Stay out of it. I for one, am tired of seeing you inject your opinion of how ALPA pilots are saving the world into every stinking thread. Besides, you're not even an ALPA member anymore!

This is a colossal mistake. I don't know about most folks but I had no idea that we were drawing a line in the sand. I had heard that the problem existed and that JSCs were working to get it fixed, but there was no hint at this type of escalating confrontation. I can see this potentially getting way out of hand. I use mainline UAL to get to work and have always been treated professionally. I don't see the point in punishing other pilots for something management controls. With regard to UAs MEC being the problem, I'm guessing that they have now and have had for quite some time quite a lot on their plates. Their situation is pretty serious. Not saying they shouldn't help, but I may understand. I'll ask Ua pilots to try to facilitate this change, but I will never advocate the denial of a jumpseat.

Asking will never do anything. Status quo (doing nothing, or its equal continuing to ask nicely) supports the UAL pilots because they currently have the advantage.

The only thing that will move this situation forward is to "motivate" the UAL pilots.

I'm impressed that everyone banded together like this. Even with SAPA. It's refreshing to see. I hope it works, and if not, than too bad for the UAL commuters, because I'll wager that more UAL pilots commute on UAX than commute on mainline.

Agreed. That seat belongs to the Captain. Look people, this shouldn't be a big problem. The gate agent and her computer system don't own your jumpseat; you do. If the computer system isn't prioritizing the way you'd like, then you prioritize yourself per your FOM's guidance. I sure as hell didn't need a computer program to tell me who was riding on my jumpseat. If a UAL and a UAX pilot both show up for a UAX jumpseat, the computer may give the UAL guy priority, but you have the final decision as to who rides. You don't need the software to agree with you.

What part of "the gate determines who gets to talk to the captain" confuses you? You can't just march down to the plane and talk to the captain. Especially in IAD.

As I said, why don't you butt out, PCL? Airtran doesn't even let us ID-90/ZED on them. Why don't we talk about that?

Well for one thing the "SkyWest Pilots" did not sign this letter. They lack a union and a spine. Besides why are you asking for something to be fixed when its not going to matter anyway when United Disappears.

You are just wasting your time.
Thats the spirit.....just do nothing ! Why did we all overlook that? Man, you could be a democrat.......er.....wait....I bet you are !

United actually tried to force us (Mesa) to give their pilots (UAL Mainline) priority over our own pilots on Mesa planes. We respectfully declined and we were subsequently re prioritized as "L" (Luggage). Some other airlines played but Mesa didn’t. They started this crap so let the fun begin.

Same thing happened at Colgan

But the gate agent owns the jumpseat pass and owns the door to the jetway.

There's a simple solution to this problem: "this airplane isn't moving until the proper jumpseater is onboard. I can sit here all day. What's it going to be?" Gate agent will back down every time.

Airtran doesn't even let us ID-90/ZED on them. Why don't we talk about that?

Which airline do you work for? We have pass agreements with many airlines. Unfortunately, some airlines refuse to work with us on reciprocal pass privileges. For instance, DAL refuses to offer us domestic pass benefits because we're the "competition." Their employees suffer as a result, but DAL management doesn't seem to care. If pass benefits aren't available, you can bet it's because your carrier won't allow it, not the other way around.

There's a simple solution to this problem: "this airplane isn't moving until the proper jumpseater is onboard. I can sit here all day. What's it going to be?" Gate agent will back down every time.

And your phone melts from messages from the Chief Pilot. PCL, you really need to pull your head out of your @$$. I don't mean to put you down because I hate the whining on here but seriously man. You don't even have a dog in the fight but you continue to cheer for old school ALPA. Does it occur to you that the reason no one likes ALPA is because they always cuddle with these angry old legacy carriers - screw everyone else?????

The UAX carriers should be able to dictate who has priority on the jumpseat. End of story.

Box Office - Still have a crush on you

Assuming you know there is more than one jumpseater standing at the top of the jetway. And before you spout off...no one has time to police the gate agent on a 25 minute turn.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back