Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

UAX Letter to UAL Pilots over jumpseat dispute.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Agreed. That seat belongs to the Captain. Look people, this shouldn't be a big problem. The gate agent and her computer system don't own your jumpseat; you do. If the computer system isn't prioritizing the way you'd like, then you prioritize yourself per your FOM's guidance. I sure as hell didn't need a computer program to tell me who was riding on my jumpseat. If a UAL and a UAX pilot both show up for a UAX jumpseat, the computer may give the UAL guy priority, but you have the final decision as to who rides. You don't need the software to agree with you.

But the gate agent owns the jumpseat pass and owns the door to the jetway.

Frankl, I'm not too concerned about what big ol' UAL is going to do. Like others have said/written, I can get from coast to coast on any UAX carrier. Let's see how easy it is for a UAL guy to get out of many of the small markets served only by UAX carriers starting August 1.

GD UAL MEC has been the problem the entire time here, and it's time he fixes it, or starts eating some of the crap he's been shoveling.

Welcome back....Now duck......:beer:

Nope. The smart captain will continue to allow UAL pilots to jumpseat while passing this letter out to each jumpseater.

Nobody was told to deny anyone the jumpseat. Sorry if you read it that way.

The letter is asking for a simple fix. It's up to UAL MEC to fix it or leave it broken.

Hope that helps.

Why would the UAL MEC want to fix a system that works to their advantage? Diplomacy should always be the first step. That is what this letter is attempting to establish. However, there is an established deadline should the other parties not obtain a just and fair remedy. APA and WN can and have dictated in the past a just and fair RECIPROCAL policy that they need in oder to play ball. Why is this any different? What is viewed as undiplomatic in this letter? The letter, as well as the request, seem nothing but reasonable. The ball is in the UAL pilot's court.

Why would the UAL MEC want to fix a system that works to their advantage? Diplomacy should always be the first step. That is what this letter is attempting to establish. However, there is an established deadline should the other parties not obtain a just and fair remedy. APA and WN can and have dictated in the past a just and fair RECIPROCAL policy that they need in oder to play ball. Why is this any different? What is viewed as undiplomatic in this letter? The letter, as well as the request, seem nothing but reasonable.

I agree Speedtape.....The part that is being viewed as "undiplomatic" is the fact that "regional" pilots are standing up to the "mainline" pilots....That isn't the way we regional pilots are supposed to act.....We are supposed to grovel and beg for table scraps.....

There is a double standard......

I agree Speedtape.....The part that is being viewed as "undiplomatic" is the fact that "regional" pilots are standing up to the "mainline" pilots....That isn't the way we regional pilots are supposed to act.....We are supposed to grovel and beg for table scraps.....

There is a double standard......

Are you trying to say that we are being viewed as UPPITY? Hopefully, good people with cool heads on both sides will simply see this as what it is--a diplomatic approach to obtain a fair and reasonable agreement. Otherwise, the advantaged party is no different than the various managements that we all deal with. The process and outcome should prove interesting.

Are you trying to say that we are being viewed as UPPITY? Hopefully, good people with cool heads on both sides will simply see this as what it is--a diplomatic approach to obtain a fair and reasonable agreement. Otherwise, the advantaged party is no different than the various managements that we all deal with. The process and outcome should prove interesting.

Indeed!

But the gate agent owns the jumpseat pass and owns the door to the jetway.

Yes, that is the prevailing reality at a few carriers. The Captain owns nothing. The Jumpseat belongs to the FAA, then the company through efforts by ALPA years ago. Only at a few companies do pilots have any say so as to who actually gets on the Jumpseat. However, at all times, the Captain can refuse to let someone actually sit on the Jumpseat--but with some consequences and/or justification required by some companies.

Yes, that is the prevailing reality at a few carriers. The Captain owns nothing. The Jumpseat belongs to the FAA, then the company through efforts by ALPA years ago. Only at a few companies do pilots have any say so as to who actually gets on the Jumpseat. However, at all times, the Captain can refuse to let someone actually sit on the Jumpseat--but with some consequences and/or justification required by some companies.

Or I can set the brake until policy is followed. I have no problem explaining that to my Chief Pilot. I'm expected to follow policy. Why should that not be expected of others?

Latest resources

Back