• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"TSO Approved" Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, so I looked up all these regs and 121.359(g) and 25.1457 only refer to boom mikes and CVRs. The other two sections didn't even mention headsets anywhere that I saw (121.305 is instruments and 121.317(b) is No Smoke Sign/Fasten Seatbelt Sign usage). Anyhow in all these sections no where did it say anything whatsoever about TSO applicability or headsets needing/required to TSO'd. So where specifically does it state all headsets used in 121 ops must be TSO'd??? I don't see it anywhere and it's not required per the SKW FOM.

25.1457 Refers to CVRs, and supports the requirement for Boom Mics.

121.581 Refers to the observers equipment, they decide.

AC20-110L Refers to TSO items, see TSO C57a.

The requirement to use TSO qualified equipment where a TSO exists are implied. The requirement for "boom mic" requirement also implies that for a part/product to be satisfactory it must be meet TSO approval. One of the requirements of the TSO process deals with the failure modes, all TSO approved products requiring power failure to the safe mode. The uFlymike unit is fail unsafe, when the batteries go dead, the unit stops working.SKYW policy manual/SOP requires "headsets to be used below 18,000MSL" This debate is like almost all the debates in aviation, no one will know until something happens. What are you gonna do when the batteries fail in cruise and you miss the descent call from ATC, or you miss a heading and fly into restricted airspace, or even worse miss that traffic call/turn? As cheap as pilots are, it is mind boggling that you would fiddle with a product that cause so much havoc if it were to fail. uFlymike has a vested interest in this debate, I have none, except for the academic. Do the math and your own research. Sorry 'bout the mistyping on the reg numbers, I am tired after a long flight day.
PBR

I use a uflymike on the crj. It takes one AAA battery. I can change the battery on my headset faster than I can don the damn O2 mask. PBR, don't think that's gonna cause us to bust airspace. Not to mention the headset itself gives you something like 5 hours of warning before the battery dies. That question was even in one of our (skyw) quarterly training bulletins. The only requirements/regs are that we use a headset with a boom mic on it. Nothing in our op specs. Nothing in the FAR's.

I use a uflymike on the crj. It takes one AAA battery. I can change the battery on my headset faster than I can don the damn O2 mask. PBR, don't think that's gonna cause us to bust airspace. Not to mention the headset itself gives you something like 5 hours of warning before the battery dies. That question was even in one of our (skyw) quarterly training bulletins. The only requirements/regs are that we use a headset with a boom mic on it. Nothing in our op specs. Nothing in the FAR's.
You keep telling yourself that, over and over. That will make it legal. You won't use that setup while you fly with me. Good luck.
PBR

The FAA published a letter 12 Oct 07, answering a request for clarification from an AA pilot and attorney on whether TSO'd headsets are required.

Bottom line, no requirement. A pilot can use any headset he/she wants as long as he/she doesn't mess with any installed equipment.

Battery powered headsets may be used as long as their use wouldn't cause you to go NORDO. As long as you're not flying solo and there's other comm equipment available in the aircraft. That's not going to happen.

The recipient of this letter coordinated a conference call with AA reps and Paul Greer, the FAA rep in D.C. who drafted the letter for Rebecca McPherson, FAA Asst Chief Counsel for Regulations. They confirmed what the FAA letter states.

Here's a link to the letter: http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org...interpretations/data/interps/2007/Whatley.pdf

Mike,
2 day to get to defend your personal ATM! Dang you are slipping. Come on man step it up, the cheap SKYW guys are buying your product depend on you to make them feel the $500.00 they just spent was a "good" investment. Bottom line any device that fails unsafe isn't worth the money. I will ask the question again, If the battery goes dead , does your product still work? Didn't think so. If the perfect storm of stupidity comes together in a CRJ(most likely), both pilots wearing your product, and both have a battery failure, and miss a critical radio call causing......you fill in the blank, how will you feel?
PBR

PBR,

First thing I'd think is Skywest needs to re-evaluate their hiring criteria... the example you give is the mentality and lack of SA that causes airplanes to run out of gas or run into the side of a granite cloud.

Sennheiser ANRs fail without warning and have no warning system other than FAILURE; the QC2 is the only ANR headset I know of that gives a low battery warning. In order to restore audio in a Sennheiser, you have to realize you've lost audio. IF you realize it, you have to turn the power switch OFF to restore audio.

Direct your question to Sennheiser or one of the other ANR headset manufacturers that actually make headsets that TRULY fail without warning.

There's nothing but "what if" speculation that a QC2 is any more at risk of failure than other headsets. There's nothing to justify the concern.

We're still pursuing TSO certification, in spite of the fact it's a worthless system. It makes the ignorant feel more secure, so we're going to make them happy, too.

Lightspeed, Sigtronics and others are not TSO'd. They realize there's no requirement and a huge pain in the @#ss.

Mike

Bottom line any device that fails unsafe isn't worth the money. I will ask the question again, If the battery goes dead , does your product still work?
PBR

If your headset has a failure does it still work? I understand the battery issue (I have the QC2 setup), but you show me any headset that is fail proof. I've never had any issue with my QC2 in the 3000 hours I've flown with it.

Latest resources

Back