"TSO Approved" Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TSO'd has to do with two things:

1. Testing, testing, testing, at minimum temperatures, and maximum temperations, vibration levels, etc. If the unit makes it through the testing, it gets a TSO.

2. Insurace liability for the manufacturer, and higher levels of accountability. Translated, a higher price to the end consumer, you.

So you decide if a headset is something that should be tested, tested, and further tested, and whether that extra measure of testing is worth the extra cost.

I'm hoping the UFlymike gets the TSO. So far I'm liking it the best for the CRJ (vs the Telex 850). I know the TSO isn't required, it would just be nice to not have to worry about it where ever you wanted to use it.

I use Uflymike and love them and had a fed on my jump seat the other day. I just didn't let him see them and used company headsets for that flight. I do love them though. They are awesome.

You can probably get away without TSO headsets as long as you have a hand mic and overhead speaker.
Nope! maybe 135, not 121, check yer regs!
PBR

The fed himself on my captain fed ride was wearing a uflymike, I'll leave it at that...
Read the regs sometime, the regs require a boom mic below 180000ft. The regs also say that the Fed is determines the headset they use. Start with 121.359 (g), work your way over to 121.305, take a whiff of 121.317(b), then slide over to 25.1457 and read em and weep.
PBR
Suks to be you, and wrong all at the same time!

I use Uflymike and love them and had a fed on my jump seat the other day. I just didn't let him see them and used company headsets for that flight. I do love them though. They are awesome.

What about if your A/C doesn't have company provided headsets?? I'm not going to carry 2 around just in case. It'd be nice if the feds could be consistent...either we can use 'em or we can't.

Read the regs sometime, the regs require a boom mic below 180000ft. The regs also say that the Fed is determines the headset they use. Start with 121.359 (g), work your way over to 121.305, take a whiff of 121.317(b), then slide over to 25.1457 and read em and weep.
PBR
Suks to be you, and wrong all at the same time!

Ok, so I looked up all these regs and 121.359(g) and 25.1457 only refer to boom mikes and CVRs. The other two sections didn't even mention headsets anywhere that I saw (121.305 is instruments and 121.317(b) is No Smoke Sign/Fasten Seatbelt Sign usage). Anyhow in all these sections no where did it say anything whatsoever about TSO applicability or headsets needing/required to TSO'd. So where specifically does it state all headsets used in 121 ops must be TSO'd??? I don't see it anywhere and it's not required per the SKW FOM.

Last edited:
If not required now, i bet bose is pushing hard enough, that TSO'd headsets will be required soon.

It's a topic that has generated lots of interest, so i feel prety safe in saying the FAA will visit this and issue a rule

Latest resources

Back