• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"TSO Approved" Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
121.359(g) For those aircraft equipped to record the uninterrupted audio signals received by a boom or a mask microphone, the flight crewmembers are required to use the boom microphone below 18,000 feet mean sea level.

The microphone in the UFlyMike works with a dead battery in the QC2 headset. Hell, it works even if it's not plugged into a headset at all.

That's correct, the mic in the UFM is unaffected by battery failure, thus negating the application of 121.359(g). Sorry.

Furthermore, excellent CRM! I'd be happy to slide the seat all the way back, put my headset away, and let you do all the work.

"Let me know when you're ready to work with me.":beer:

PBR - Read it again. That's not what it says.

Dave Greer, FAA attorney and author of the letter, says that's not what it says. Aircraft EQUIPPED with ANR headsets must not be the type that rely solely on battery power. He's not talking about SUPPLEMENTING the configuration of an aircraft with a personal headset.

Mike

Hah! I knew someone was gonna get tripped up by the last paragraph in the letter!

Mike, when I carefully read the letter by Dave Greer (whom I understand also moonlights as the former finance minister of Nigeria and is seeking my help to transfer five million dollars out of the country!), it's pretty obvious:

1) no FARs require use of a TSO'd headset unless the aircraft's type certificate requires it as part of the original OEM equipment

2) The FAA however is very concerned about ANR headsets and what happens when they go into failure mode with dead batteries, etc.

You're never going to convince PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon?) and pilots of that ilk that UFlyMike is ok to use. Meanwhile, those that use and love it will continue to use and love it. But some pilots, flights ops managers and FAA inspectors are going to continue to raise a stink about it, right or wrong, and spread misinformation.

Best of luck getting the TSO. Yeah, I'm sure it's royal pain in the a** and an expense you don't need, but it'll be the only way to put the issue to rest.

Hah! I knew someone was gonna get tripped up by the last paragraph in the letter!

Mike, when I carefully read the letter by Dave Greer (whom I understand also moonlights as the former finance minister of Nigeria and is seeking my help to transfer five million dollars out of the country!), it's pretty obvious:

1) no FARs require use of a TSO'd headset unless the aircraft's type certificate requires it as part of the original OEM equipment

2) The FAA however is very concerned about ANR headsets and what happens when they go into failure mode with dead batteries, etc.

You're never going to convince PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon?) and pilots of that ilk that UFlyMike is ok to use. Meanwhile, those that use and love it will continue to use and love it. But some pilots, flights ops managers and FAA inspectors are going to continue to raise a stink about it, right or wrong, and spread misinformation.

Best of luck getting the TSO. Yeah, I'm sure it's royal pain in the a** and an expense you don't need, but it'll be the only way to put the issue to rest.

norskman2,

Truer words never spoken. My son wants to coin a new word for those with a battery phobia - ANRanoia: an unfounded and unreasonable fear of things battery powered.

Irksome to have to get a meaningless TSO to satisfy the ignorant, but we're doing it.

We should probably start a campaign to do away with battery bus backups to the electrical system. That should make them REALLY happy.

Mike

Just get a Telex 850. ANR WITHOUT batteries, TSO'd, Around $400, and you can write it off on your taxes. Done, finito, finished.

Peace.

Rekks

Latest resources

Back