"TSO Approved" Headsets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Missed Approach

I am looking at headsets for the CRJ, and a couple I am considering, the UflyMike and Clarity Aloft, are not TSO approved. What does this mean? If the aircraft has TSO approved headsets onboard, am I still required to USE an approved headset?

I know they just came out with a Clarity Aloft that is TSO approved for $700 ($200 more than the original) with no significant changes except the price.

What do you think?

Check yer manuals re. TSO'd headsets... It will say if a headset that is TSO'd is required. Its a company rule thing.

TSO means that the equipment meets FAA requirements for use in aviation. It does not mean that you cannot use the device.

I have a U Fly Mike/Bose QC2 combination, and I like it better than the Telex 850s I had two years ago.

Had a fed on the jumpseat today and he said non-tso headsets are now a big deal with the FAA. If caught using one it could be up to enforcment action, his words. He said depending on the fed, he might tell you you can't use it and let you figure something out, or wait for you to push back and then violate you.

My comapny flight standards guy and my local fsdo said the same thing. They will be cracking down. Sucks.

You can probably get away without TSO headsets as long as you have a hand mic and overhead speaker.

Had a fed on the jumpseat today and he said non-tso headsets are now a big deal with the FAA. If caught using one it could be up to enforcment action, his words. He said depending on the fed, he might tell you you can't use it and let you figure something out, or wait for you to push back and then violate you.

Well, then they might want to make it apart of the Regulations. As of right now there is NO requirement for a headset to be TSO approved.

That FED has no idea what he/she is talking about.

Latest resources

Back