Trouble at Jetblue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
maddoggiestyle said:
In the last year and a half at FredEx, I have blocked 33hrs a month. Ahhh, there's nothing like sitting on reserve and getting paid to sit at home and reply to aviation message boards all day! :)

SHOWOFF!!!! I'm jealous :)

P.S. AND he's only 34!

I wonder what will happen when the music stops and people get hired on the 190 as FO's with little upward movement. $37/hr. doesn't go very far.

Other than that, I wish everyone at JB the best. Hope it keeps rolling.TC

potrack said:
Funny how everyone says that airbus pays for everything?

One thing the don't pay for is cleaning.....they got FAA ATPs to do that...funny how they worked that into the contract?....without even putting it in the contract.

i think JB just paid out 5-6% in profit sharing....$7000 extra bucks @ 5% on capt's pay aint too shabby to cross seatbelts...not much money being made at other airlines i hear?

AA717driver said:
I wonder what will happen when the music stops and people get hired on the 190 as FO's with little upward movement. $37/hr. doesn't go very far.

Other than that, I wish everyone at JB the best. Hope it keeps rolling.TC

TC

You don't want to be this guy:

$37 x 75 hrs (reserve) x 12 = $33,300 - Uncle Sams Share approx 1/3 = $22,000 = $1,833 a month take home

$423 a week to sit in a crash pad in Kew Gardens. Good news is it goes up to $40 an hr in year 2.

Yeah, this guys going to be a happy camper. Mean while the A320 sr capts goes home with big bucks. The haves and have nots will do more to destroy the moral and force in a union then anything else. I was honestly hoping that Dave would have raised the bar on the 190 pay, in the long term it would have been better for everyone, especially the folks at B6

Last edited:
G4 G5 your math does not match reality. Yes on reserve, your outcome may be true. That is not the picture I understand from friends of mine working at JB. First reserve is a very short assignment, most are holding a line their second month. Pay goes up 50% over 70 hours. In addition, bonuses for picking up open time. It is not unusual to get 110 hour pay credit per month and still get 12-13 days off. Let s 110 x’s $37 =’s $4070/mo. That is nearly 50K per year. That is great first year F/O pay at anyplace. Let’s see UPS $24K first year, Spirit 36K first year,

G4G5
Not to rain on your parade, but if the salary being offered is not to your standards don't work at jetblue - there are other worthy jobs to be had. Using AirlinePilotPay.com as a source it would seem first year pay on the EMB-190 is not bad when compared to other company first year pay (and most of them are not even hiring at this date):

AMR: $35.00 for all aircraft types
DAl: $56.00 for all aircraft types
NWA: $39.00 for all aircraft types
UAL: $31.00 for all aircraft types
USAir: $25.00 for all aircraft types
Airtran: $43.00 for all aircraft types
SWA: $48.00 for the only a/c flown
Jetblue: $51.00 for AB320 or $37.00 for EMB-190

I guess if I had to solely judge a job based on an initial salary then it would have eliminated a lot of great experiences I've had over the years. Best of luck in your career search....

You guys are missing my point. When the massive hiring stops, someone WILL be stuck on the bottom, on reserve staring at CA in 5,6,7 or more years. Keep in mind, JB has hired a whole lot of 35-45 year olds. Even $53/hour doesn't go that far. As someone mentioned on another thread, we are in the middle of the post 9/11 recovery. When it ends, who knows what will happen. Maybe people will be happy commuting to NYC making $50k.

My concern is that this disparity will generate a lot of bad feelings within the group unless management equalizes things a bit.TC

P.S.--G4G5--Bill S. says hi.

I expect if low end pay at JB stagnates and hiring slows down, you'll see some of the bottom guys bailing for other carriers when offered the chance. I think JB is a great place. I also know several high quality folks who passed on them for AirTran, Fedex, and SWA. One trait of a company without a defined benefit plan is the "perk" of seniority and monetary importance of longevitiy are not as important as at an old "classic" airline with defined benefit (A) plans. People WILL leave for better pay and benefits.

So...if the pay ain't keepin up with the market, folks will bail with their fit. That's supply and demand. To promote stabilty and reduce training costs I expect pay will also go up.

I also expect JB management wants to keep the healthy atmosphere and prevent the company from forming a union. To prevent both, I expect pay will rise. (...I have, however, been wrong before...)

Bottom line is every since the company began, management has "under-promised" and "over delivered" to its crew force. That has built up some trust. Right now, the pilots there (outside looking in...my impression only) have expressed concern but are also saying "okay...you've done us right before, let's see what happens when the jets get here..."

Time will tell. In the meantime--if you think JB is a bad place to be...apply at UPS, FDX, Netjets, SWA, or Airtran. I'll be glad to help you prep wherever you want to go. That aside, the JB guys and gals I've met and helped have all been highly motivated, professional, and proud of their company. I'll bet they can make this work out to everyone's liking...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back