Trouble at Jetblue?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
chazman said:
How about that property in Florida, anyone interested there? It's real cheap, lots of water (and mud), a few million square feet of fill dirt and you might be able to put a trailer on it.
Chaz

Don't fall for it people there is no such thing as cheap property in central Florida. Maybe along the east coast though. Your gig is up chazman and in honor of Mickey's avatar, the cat is out of the bag.

Carl S. said:
What!!!!
Problems at Jetblue? I thought when you blew your self up for the"Big Guy with the Turbine" you went to JB, not 72 honeys. Say it ain't so, next thing you'll be saying is baseball players are juiced!!!

Help me out here,
I'm still trying to visualize someone with a turbine [engine?] on their head.

Lets' Just assume.......

....for a moment that:

a) jB hasn't paid for jets
b) NYC helps pay for fuel
c) jB doesn't pay for maintenance until they stop buying Airbuses
d) NYC helps with building the new terminal
e) the gates at JFK are paid by Uncle Bloomberg.................

okay, assuming these things are true.............

why wouldn't you want to work for these guys. It seems to me that they have the best mgt (read: leadership) team in the history of the industry if they figured out how to pull all that off and everyone else is paying for their shiiit!!!!

Maybe there is some truth in the 'Mormonism' thing.......

chazman said:
. .<snip>. . .
How about that property in Florida, anyone interested there? It's real cheap, lots of water (and mud), a few million square feet of fill dirt and you might be able to put a trailer on it.

Chaz
I wouldn't knock it, you are describing the Eglin AFB, Ft. Walton area about 50 years ago. . . .
The only problem now is that the environmentalists won't let you drain the swamplands!!

Actually, there is some truth to your post. Upgrades, while very fast, are slowing down. It is running more than two years, which is still great, but longer than the one year point a couple of years ago. And they are slowing. I am not talking about the 190 which has absolutely terrible pay.

The way I see it, the fleet size has to nearly double to upgrade on the 320. That came pretty quick when you had 20 airplanes (JB is getting around 15-16 A320s a year). For a guy starting today (with 71 airplanes), you are looking around four years or more for an upgrade. The FO pay starts out OK, but after the first year, it is pretty low. Not too many people on property now will take the 190, IMO. So, with low profit sharing (assuming JB remains profitable, which I think they will), and stock options that are under water(except people that got on before the IPO), I don't see people happy with their compensation. I also don't see pilots getting raises in the near future. The key to JB's profitability is it's extremely low CASM. And wages are a big part of the equation.

I think JB offers some stability, due to their low cost. But you have to accept that you are a part of that low cost and pay will be low. Captain's pay was considered low (despite the raise in 01), but now isn't that bad since everyone else is heading south. Some people are making a fair amount of cash, but fly tons of overtime.

The 190 pay is terrible. It was considered a great thing when JB announced the 190 and, in particular, that it will be flown by seniority list pilots. But, as far as I am concerned, they could have outsourced the flying since the wages are regional rates anyway. It offers nothing for people on property at the time of the announcement (about 2 years ago).

In short, things are OK at Jetblue. I would bet there are tons of guys applying at Fedex and UPS. I don't want to work 80+ hard hours a month when I am 59. Also, I think many will go back to their carriers that furloughed them if they are lucky enough to get called back (Cal, Delta, NWA).

granted there is no way to compare JB to SWA, but just think of the newhires at SWA today......what would they give to get on with SWA when they had only 70 a/c????

point is...nobody really knew how well SWA was going to get 5-10-20 years down the road. same with JB! anybody can chase the "current industry leader" but you run a huge risk of becoming very junior, furloughed or out of work! think of all the "current industry leaders" of yesterday that are no longer with us today, and those that were leaders 5 years ago that are no longer viable.

pick an airline based on sound economics, management/leadership and a business plan.....you will see that narrows the field of potential employers tremendously!

F.y.i.

iflynights said:
. I would bet there are tons of guys applying at Fedex and UPS. I don't want to work 80+ hard hours a month when I am 59.

In the last year and a half at FredEx, I have blocked 33hrs a month. Ahhh, there's nothing like sitting on reserve and getting paid to sit at home and reply to aviation message boards all day! :)

JB is golden. Neil Diamond anyone? Song Song Jet blue everybody loves you!! Sorry about that it is just a quirky little thing that I have always thought of Neil when I think about JB. Adding to my delima--Delta comes on the scene with Song!! Now which airline should spark my thoughts of Neil??

Latest resources

Back