"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey Mach-
Would you like to explain this to the families of the victims of the GOL 737 midair? Sorry if you had to wait a second to ask if you could "get direct somewhere down the line".

I see your point. My biggest gripe is when pilots, after receiving a traffic call looks in that direction until the traffic is in sight. Now that ATC pointed out traffic we know that the traffic is there somewhere. What we should do is look in all other places and try to locate unknown traffic.

Huh?
Use a little CRM will ya. One set of eyes can look for the ATC traffic and the other can look for the unknowns you suggest. ATC is telling you about that traffic for a reason. How bout getting a visual on the guy so that you can determine IF he will be a problem at some point.

Is that you Doug McCain.... trying to avoid the issue....???

Seriously.... the only two replies are....
1. Negative contact
or
2. Traffic Insight
These are not accpetable

1. lookin'
  2. got 'em on the fishfinder/TCAS
  3. Tally Ho
  4. switchin' to guns
  5. are you going to eat that?

Traffic can be insightful.

I see your point. My biggest gripe is when pilots, after receiving a traffic call looks in that direction until the traffic is in sight. Now that ATC pointed out traffic we know that the traffic is there somewhere. What we should do is look in all other places and try to locate unknown traffic.

That's your biggest gripe, eh? Pretty lucky to have had such a placid career.

And there's this new thing called TCAS. All the kids at the malt shop are talking about it. Bichin!

When a controller pints out traffic during cruise at the flight levels, he/she is only doing it simply so you won't be startled seeing another aircraft coming at you. After acknowledging the call, it is NOT necessary nor required to make another call to center to report the traffic "in sight". The controller really doesn't care too much.

Yesterday there were two blocked transmissions because pilots unecessarily called back to report "traffic in sight". An AA flight bugged INDY center TWICE to let the controller know the traffic was in sight....the second time with great irritation in his voice because he wasn't responded to on the first transmission when it was quite clear the controller was doing some coordination.

instead of posting this here, cause none of us really give a $hit, I think you should track that AA pilot down and give him some dual cause you're so frickin good.....

pathetic aint it?

bringupthebird,

>>>>Would you like to explain this to the families of the victims of the GOL 737 midair?<<<

As far as I recall, no traffic alert was given to either airplane so your point is totally moot, but even if one was given, I would assume pilots would take a look out the window just as I do when a traffic alert is given (I never said don't bother looking!). If a conflict was clearly there, rest asured I would have more than a "thank you" response to the controller as would these pilots I think. This case also has something to do with loss of radar contact on one of the airplanes and for some reason, no TCAS warning.

Last edited:
If a conflict was clearly there, rest asured I would have more than a "thank you" response to the controller as would these pilots I think.

So you are going to clutter up the frequency w/ unnecessary chat?? A little hypocritical, don't ya think?!?! You're a piece of work.

Latest resources

Back