Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Widow's Son said:
..., freight pilots are a whole lot easier to replace with foreigners or scabs than passenger pilots are.
I've got a life-size picture of the Teamsters turning a wheel when UPS tries to fly their airplanes with scabs.

"I've got a life-size picture of the Teamsters turning a wheel when UPS tries to fly their airplanes with scabs"

They already did it in 97 or 98. I remember all the charter guys praying that they wouldnt get called to go to UPS, because the Teamsters had wrongly put out a statement that chartered airplane pilots would be considered scabs. What a load of crap that was.

WillowRunVortex said:
"I've got a life-size picture of the Teamsters turning a wheel when UPS tries to fly their airplanes with scabs"

They already did it in 97 or 98. I remember all the charter guys praying that they wouldnt get called to go to UPS, because the Teamsters had wrongly put out a statement that chartered airplane pilots would be considered scabs. What a load of crap that was.
Fall of '97, Teamsters struck. Only a handful of airplanes moved during that three weeks, and they were flown by management pilots. Pilots who flew struck work are scabs.

As I said, no Teamster turned a wheel.

If the IPA strikes, Teamsters will support it. Period.

TonyC said:
Fall of '97, Teamsters struck. Only a handful of airplanes moved during that three weeks, and they were flown by management pilots. Pilots who flew struck work are scabs.

As I said, no Teamster turned a wheel.

If the IPA strikes, Teamsters will support it. Period.

Pilots of chartered aircraft who flew for UPS then were not scabs. Would the Teamsters have paid their salaries when they would have been fired by their company for refusing a trip?

WillowRunVortex said:
Pilots of chartered aircraft who flew for UPS then were not scabs. Would the Teamsters have paid their salaries when they would have been fired by their company for refusing a trip?
I don't know what your purpose is in bragging that contract pilots flew UPS freight during the Teamsters strike of '97, unless you were one of them. Since there were no Teamsters driving UPS trucks to deliver UPS freight, any charters would have been irrelevant anyway.

Please read my original statement, evaluate its meaning, and then determine if you have any argument with it.

Simplified, and for your review:

If and when IPA strikes, UPS Teamsters will not turn a wheel.

TonyC said:
I don't know what your purpose is in bragging that contract pilots flew UPS freight during the Teamsters strike of '97, unless you were one of them. Since there were no Teamsters driving UPS trucks to deliver UPS freight, any charters would have been irrelevant anyway.

Please read my original statement, evaluate its meaning, and then determine if you have any argument with it.

Simplified, and for your review:

If and when IPA strikes, UPS Teamsters will not turn a wheel.

My point is, If and when IPA strikes, there will be alot of younger charter guys who will be assigned to fly trips for UPS. There choice will be to refuse the trip and get fired or be wrongly acused of being a scab, and told about future ramifications to their career's. Which, I dont think is fair in anybody's book, and a load of B.S.

WillowRunVortex said:
My point is, If and when IPA strikes, there will be alot of younger charter guys who will be assigned to fly trips for UPS. There choice will be to refuse the trip and get fired or be wrongly acused of being a scab, and told about future ramifications to their career's. Which, I dont think is fair in anybody's book, and a load of B.S.

Sounds like you are chomping at the bit to go fly struck UPS work if they strike. And yes you would be a scab if you fly UPS struck work. Maybe you are trying to make points with UPS management in hopes that they will hire you as a manager someday. I for one, want to make it a major the proper way. You can do whatever you like.

WillowRunVortex said:

I think that Tonys trying to say that there won't be a need for any young charter guys if IPA strikes because the trucks won't be running. No trucks, no boxes, therefore no airplanes.

enigma

WillowRunVortex said:
My point is, If and when IPA strikes, there will be alot of younger charter guys who will be assigned to fly trips for UPS. There choice will be to refuse the trip and get fired or be wrongly acused of being a scab

You said it yourself -- they do have a choice. Maintain your integrity or SCAB, seems simple to me.

Moving struck goods = SCAB! Nothing "wrong" about that accusation as you seem to imply.

Below Mins said:
You said it yourself -- they do have a choice. Maintain your integrity or SCAB, seems simple to me.

Moving struck goods = SCAB! Nothing "wrong" about that accusation as you seem to imply.

Are you kidding me? These pilots wont have union protection like the UPS pilots. They simply should walk away from their jobs so that the UPS pilots can squable over the difference from 13.7 million in a career and 14 million? Smoke some more CRACK DUDE

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back