• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I will make a simple statement that is not a reply, just an observation. Why, when UPS made Billions last year, does it still do the contract tango thing with the pilots? Risk strike? Why? Incredible.

WillowRunVortex said:
I will make a simple statement that is not a reply, just an observation. Why, when UPS made Billions last year, does it still do the contract tango thing with the pilots? Risk strike? Why? Incredible.

Same reason United management steals the pilots'/flight attendants/etc pensions and then gives themselves 2 million each in bonuses.

hoover said:
I wouldn't say that UPS is almost guaranteed. Remember that UPS is not an airline. They are a package company that happens to use airplanes in their business. While the company has been around for upwards of 100 years, the aviation division didn't come along until 1988. Prior to that they didn't own an airplane. It was all contracted out. Nothing to say that it couldn't go back that way

On the other hand, SWA's business is entirely based on moving people in airplanes. Take away the airplanes and you have no business. As long as they can keep doing what they are doing they will be in business. UPS doesn't need airplanes to do what they do.

You can't drive a truck to China

ERfly said:
Same reason United management steals the pilots'/flight attendants/etc pensions and then gives themselves 2 million each in bonuses.

No doubt

I've heard from a couple of UPS guys that the attitude there by management isn't very pilot friendly.

One guy described a bigwig coming into newhire class and telling the pilots to check their egos at the door because as far as UPS was concerned the guys who are really important to them are the guys driving the trucks and meeting the customers. He said if they had it their way the pilots would make the same as the truck drivers. If and when a nasty negotiation meltdown occurs, freight pilots are a whole lot easier to replace with foreigners or scabs than passenger pilots are.

Given those two choices, I would take SWA in a gnat's heartbeat. They are the cockroaches of airlines. They will be flying ugly painted aircraft a million years from now.

I would be willing to bet that there are more former UPS and FEdEx guys at SWA than the other way around. The job is important but family life is more important and the lifestyle at SWA is way more family friendly.

i hate to tell u this , but u have been miss informed or basicaly been B.Sed by your so called friends.
Nobody has the ba...s to come in new hire class and say sh..t like that , i don't care how big of a wig they f...ing are.

Widow's Son said:
I've heard from a couple of UPS guys that the attitude there by management isn't very pilot friendly.

One guy described a bigwig coming into newhire class and telling the pilots to check their egos at the door because as far as UPS was concerned the guys who are really important to them are the guys driving the trucks and meeting the customers. He said if they had it their way the pilots would make the same as the truck drivers. If and when a nasty negotiation meltdown occurs, freight pilots are a whole lot easier to replace with foreigners or scabs than passenger pilots are.

Given those two choices, I would take SWA in a gnat's heartbeat. They are the cockroaches of airlines. They will be flying ugly painted aircraft a million years from now.

I would be willing to bet that there are more former UPS and FEdEx guys at SWA than the other way around. The job is important but family life is more important and the lifestyle at SWA is way more family friendly.

u r nuts :)

Latest resources

Back