• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I guess I'll chime in. I was offered interviews at SW, AMR, UAL, NW and DAL when I got out of the military in 2000. I chose to stay at UPS and it was the best decision I could have made. Everybody has their preferences as to whether they want to fly people (self loading cargo) or boxes, and FA's...give me a break. If you want to hit on the 5% that might be worth it, then just jumpseat or of course there are the lbfms.

I'll put it this way. UPS is the BEST or the WORST job in the industry depending on the decisions you make. I live in SDF, bid reserve most of the time, and work in the training center on occasion. I am home ALOT and enjoy a great QOL and get to watch my daughter grow up. I can't stand the night sort stuff, so I avoid it. I also know that I would not enjoy multiple legs a day in a 73 for the rest of my career. Would I have been happy at SW? Probably so, but I'm also happy at UPS (minus contract BS)

Now, if you are a junior commuter flying night domestic stuff here this would be the worst job in the industry as far as I'm concerned. But if you live in SDF it gives you many more options to get the kind of flying that fits your preferences.

As far as what is harder on you. I think spending 900 hours a year in the upper atmoshere absorbing radiation will take about as much toll as the occasional night flight. YMMV

L'il J.Seinfeld said:
UPS is an almost guarantee whereas SWA is just a good bet. 20 years from now UPS will most certainly be here. With SWA anything could happen. Look at Delta/United 5-7 years ago and look at them now. SWA is entirely different, but the comparison is still valid. The pax industry is fickle (sp).

I wouldn't say that UPS is almost guaranteed. Remember that UPS is not an airline. They are a package company that happens to use airplanes in their business. While the company has been around for upwards of 100 years, the aviation division didn't come along until 1988. Prior to that they didn't own an airplane. It was all contracted out. Nothing to say that it couldn't go back that way

On the other hand, SWA's business is entirely based on moving people in airplanes. Take away the airplanes and you have no business. As long as they can keep doing what they are doing they will be in business. UPS doesn't need airplanes to do what they do.

UPS doesn't need airplanes to do what they do.

Basically....wrong.

UPS did own many of the airplanes prior to '88 and used contractors for the aircrews. While it is true that a union busting technique might be to contract out their flying, UPS needs airplanes as much as trucks to do what they do. The airline is by far the most profitable part of the company and UPS must offer time definite air freight to compete with the likes of FDX and DHL.

I don't know if they "need" to compete with FDX or DHL. They are overnight freight companies. UPS does a lot of "non-overnight" delivery business. I don't know of anyone else who is doing that. It would certainly impact their business if they got out of the overnight delivery stuff, but not to the point making them unprofitable.

Just my opinion anyway

hoover said:
I don't know if they "need" to compete with FDX or DHL. They are overnight freight companies. UPS does a lot of "non-overnight" delivery business. I don't know of anyone else who is doing that. It would certainly impact their business if they got out of the overnight delivery stuff, but not to the point making them unprofitable.

Just my opinion anyway

Your opinion be wrong! FedEx will generate more revenue this year from it's ground side vs. it's express side.

Days Days Days. Don't die before your time, been there done it. SWA a great airline but so is UPS, may the force be with you, the best of luck.It's your call my friend.

Backside of the clock is not good for your heath!! I meant to say, but to each his/her their own. In the long run it all pays the same.

Flechas said:
Still, the lifestyle is way better at UPS, at least that's what I think. If you have a family and only want to fly in the 48, stay with SWA.

What the He!! would you know about the "lifestyle" of a UPS pilot.

Latest resources

Back