Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
L'il J.Seinfeld said:
UPS is an almost guarantee whereas SWA is just a good bet. 20 years from now UPS will most certainly be here. With SWA anything could happen. Look at Delta/United 5-7 years ago and look at them now. SWA is entirely different, but the comparison is still valid. The pax industry is fickle (sp).

Kmart was the UPS 30 years ago. Financially speaking.

WillowRunVortex said:
Flechas, the choice was SWA or UPS. SWA is hiring pretty young F/A's as we speak. Who wear shorts! Not like the Legacy's, where they can describe the DC3 for ya. If I had the choice it would be,,,COME TA DADDY GIRLS!

I rather go to a lot of different places around the WORLD, where women are 10 times better, than fly around the 48 states jsut because the FAs "wear shorts" (That's shear desperation my friend).

SWA or UPS,

Tried sending you a personl message but you haven't authorized receipt of those....glad to offer some off line advice if you wish to receive PMs....I'll check back in a few days or you can send me one if you're interested in my drivel.

Flechas said:
I rather go to a lot of different places around the WORLD, where women are 10 times better, than fly around the 48 states jsut because the FAs "wear shorts" (That's shear desperation my friend).

Come on,,,same pay same benefits, who cares whats connected to the yoke. It boils down to stayin up all night,,,trying to keep your eyes open on final. Or,,, bright eyed bushy tailed,,,few short legs ,,,yeah I'll have another Pepsi,,,where do you guys wanna go tonight,,,BEFORE WE GET 8 HOURS OF SLEEP!

UPS, because I am sick of flying people for free.

And they have one of the best training department. They will not let women fly an MD-11 with 1500 hours, like Fedex, just because they want to meet quotas...

Purple pilots and female flyers....3, 2, 1 GO !

WillowRunVortex said:
Come on,,,same pay same benefits, who cares whats connected to the yoke. It boils down to stayin up all night,,,trying to keep your eyes open on final. Or,,, bright eyed bushy tailed,,,few short legs ,,,yeah I'll have another Pepsi,,,where do you guys wanna go tonight,,,BEFORE WE GET 8 HOURS OF SLEEP!

That's another thing. I don't know how it is at SWA, but when I go on a 4 day, unless I have a long overnight, I get there late and leave early, only enough time to get to the hotel and go to bed. If you get to destination after a long a$$ flight, and you are lets say in Amsterdam, you get some rest and have time to go out and have some fun.

720degpersec said:
UPS, because I am sick of flying people for free.

And they have one of the best training department. They will not let women fly an MD-11 with 1500 hours, like Fedex, just because they want to meet quotas...

Purple pilots and female flyers....3, 2, 1 GO !

Agree, only the fact that cargo doesn't bitch makes it better at UPS.
"This plane is so small, it's like a toy" and all that shiet gets old.
I love my job, but given the chice, boxes is the way to go.
Now the qiestion is, What can brown do for me?

SWA or UPS? said:
Please don't flame me!! I am in the fortunate position of having to choose between UPS and SWA. I am in the pool for both and will probably take the first one to give me a class date.

I have 5 factors that I think are important: Job security, pay, benefits, quality of life, and culture. The last factor is pay. SWA is much better now, especially considering the money you lose at Brown during the first year. But if the new contract comes through, maybe UPS will have the better pay.

Like I said, I am in the pool for both and have at least a few weeks to entertain conjecture. NAy inputs?

If you want culture I would move to a major city with good museums.

If its that close for you, I would be asking about trip rigs, duty rigs, and various scheduling issues.

You aren't fooling me, I think you are yanking our collective chains ;)

FWIW, I had a client who had FDX, SWA, JB, and UPS offers, and another who had SWA, UPS, and FDX. Both chose FDX, but geography and commuting certainly were factors in both.

Latest resources

Back