Tough Choice--SWA or UPS?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Big Beer Belly said:
To each his own I guess ... but I (personally) couldn't imagine 6-8 legs per day, in the same small aircraft your entire career, to the same little domestic towns, day after day, month after month, year after year ... short layovers, no ACARS ... can't imagine listening to ATIS and getting clearances manually every single leg. Beyond that .. what's with disconnecting LNAV/VNAV and the auto-throttles? Sounds like a LOT of work to me. Furthermore, at SWA you'll never have the opportunity to be a paid tourist in Honolulu, Sydney, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo, Seoul, Paris, London, Cologne, Vienna, Madrid, Oslo, Amsterdam or any of the other great international destinations. Most of UPS's international layovers are 24-96 hours ... plenty of time to explore the world while getting paid.

As for me ... I'd rather play with my kids, volunteer in their classrooms, go on their field trips, coach their athletic teams, surf, swim, golf, kayak, work out, chase Mrs BBB around the house (all WHILE getting paid!) and let all you gung-ho "people, people" <g> meet new and exciting other "people, people" between legs ... whoops forgot you've got to elbow the passengers out of the way to scramble down the concourse to pre-flight another jet ... while your cohort runs down the concourse looking for yet ANOTHER burrito or whopper (talk about taking years off your life! <g>)

YMMV,

BBB

Some of thats right and most of thats wrong. I am having the time of my life. I always get a kick out of the PAX applauding one of our landings or deplaning telling us we did a good job. Its different from freight and so am I.

To each their own.

I could so care less what pax think.....I don't care if they think I did a good job or not. (That's what 5 years of hearing stupid comments about turboprops will do to you)
I am annoyed after being around pax for 1 minute.
If you like sucking up to pax, more power to ya......I am glad there are people out there that enjoy that so I don't have to do it.

Below Mins said:
That's what hobbies are for!!

Funny you should mention that because my (now ex) girlfriend accused me of being too absorbed with my hobbies. I never actually got the chance to participate in them, mind you, because she insisted on spending every evening together, but apparently I spent too much time thinking and talking about my hobbies, when I should have been thinking and talking about her. I sort of got the feeling that I was her hobby!

/vent

Anyway, don't you worry, I have plenty of stuff to fill up the off days (I could golf every day!) But if I have to be at work, I'd prefer flying to sitting.

Yeah, WN because I like to fly, 737s don't bother me, and I get a kick out of people. In fact, I think long-haul would start to get to me after a while. Like I said earlier, I need action. I like to be busy.

-Goose

Last edited:
BBB,
Where do do you get this 6-8 legs per day stuff? My last 3-day had six total legs. The "Texas two step" while still around is only a tiny amount of our flying. As paxs go if ya don't like them stay in your hole. As far as all the all over the world flying-good on ya' but that FNG I would quess is not going to be seeing that for a while. On a positive note glad you guys are CASS, I look forward to seeing Brown or Blue on my jumpseat...........And to think we could be living in PNS and having a real problem about now..

capt. megadeth said:
I could so care less what pax think.....I don't care if they think I did a good job or not. (That's what 5 years of hearing stupid comments about turboprops will do to you)
I am annoyed after being around pax for 1 minute.
If you like sucking up to pax, more power to ya......I am glad there are people out there that enjoy that so I don't have to do it.

You tell em Beth!!!!

hey here is a better question:

first i should say i am not bragging but i am lucky enough to have the opportunity to choose between--coke and cherry coke.

i want something that offers refreshment, good price, full-flavored, fizzy and something my family and i can be proud of.

i have never had either but i can say-i know for a fact based on my opinions that one is better. please please offer your opinion on why coke is better. until then i will keep drinking my rc cola and thinking of all the possible reasons why coke is better than cherry coke.

thank you (and honestly this question is not to flame cherry coke drinkers but how can you really enjoy it at night)

ILUVURBANMYERS:

<<Where do do you get this 6-8 legs per day stuff?>>

I asked a SWA buddy what he's been flying.

<<My last 3-day had six total legs.>>

LOL! I haven't flown 6 legs in the last 6 WEEKS!

<< The "Texas two step" while still around is only a tiny amount of our flying. As paxs go if ya don't like them stay in your hole. As far as all the all over the world flying-good on ya' but that FNG I would quess is not going to be seeing that for a while. >>

New hires are going to the MD-11 and 767 international domiciles. They'll be flying to all those cities as a new-hire.

<<On a positive note glad you guys are CASS, I look forward to seeing Brown or Blue on my jumpseat...........And to think we could be living in PNS and having a real problem about now..>>

Ain't that the truth! BTW ... you guys at SWA are by far the most accommodating and gracious hosts when it comes to jumpseating ... it is sincerely appreciated.

Latest resources

Back