• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ultra Grump said:
Really? Nice try - here's the language to which you're referring:

Yep.

Originally Posted by Tom Gasta
How can the Company afford “three times current payroll”.
Answer: First, the payroll is only 2 times as much...

Nice editing job....here's the next line...

Tom Gasta said:
How can the Company afford "three times current payroll".

Answer: First, the payroll is only 2 times as much, but "BM" knew that, he simply wants to dazzle you. The three times comes with the Retro pay.

Ultra Grump said:
I actually never said what I make here. I compared my former salary as a regional FO to a first-year captain at NetJets. Never said I was one. But I'll play along...

You dont have to say exactly what you make....you bracket it quite nicely with your earlier statements:

Ultra Grump said:
I came here knowing what the pay was. Overall, it's about the same (a little less, but not appreciably) as what I was making at my former job, with more upside potential.

Ultra Grump said:
Let's see, smart guy, my W2 from my last full year at a regional (as an FO, and nowhere near year 10) says $38,152. Netjets capt pay year 1 (most of those pesky bypass guys) is $37,560. Unless my math teacher was an idiot, last time I checked $38,152 was greater than $37,560.

Ultra Grump said:
I never said I am paying the "basic bills." My wife works as well - 2 incomes allows us to live where we do. I could have Lakers, Dodgers, and Angels season tickets right now as well, if I wanted to. (Maybe if your boyfriend had a job, you could afford those Buckeye tickets...) But if we decide to start a family and have my wife stay at home, we could no longer afford to live here. We could not afford the "basic bills."

Under the current CBA, I would not be able to afford it as a 1st-, 2nd-, 3rd-, 4th-, 5th-, 6th-, or 7th-year captain. Under the latest proposal, I would not be able to afford it as a 1st-, 2nd-, or 3rd-year captain, and just barely as a 4th-year.

Welcome to the United States in the 21st century.....dual income households are a fact of life these days....in fact, the majority of households in the US are dual income families.

Most of the reason for this is that everyone seems to want all the extra 'frills' - the 3,000 sq ft home, the season tickets to the alma mater, the health club memberships, etc....

We are confusing WANTS with NEEDS.

If you want those things, and you decide you're both willing to work to get those things, then that's your choice as a couple.

But you should not be trying to hold a company hostage economically to force them to pay a wage that allows you to get your "wants" on a single income basis.

Let the free market do its job and determine the appropriate level of compensation for a job. This business of artificially inflating wages above the equilibrium point will only lead to pain in the future as the market corrects itself.

Last edited:
Family Guy:

Free Market HAS already determined what is the approprite level of compensation and the averages are well published in this industry. The numbers are out there and have been for years.

Sad to say the pilots at Netjets are NOWHERE NEAR this level...and thats their fault. They accepted these wages.

Dual incomes are a "fact of life" these days? No they are not....maybe if you work for a bottom feeder......Most corp pilots I know can afford to have their wife stay home if she chooses and they are smart with finances.. You simply cant do this on a Netjet salary - (even if you live in a van down by the river.)

Get your money coming in the door or forever hold your peace....a hard lesson.

Family guy does not have kids.

Dual Income.

Its not very possible to have your spouse work and take proper care of your children when you can't pitch in most of the time because you are on the road.

Maybe we should live on a collective farm too.

Pilots need to make a dual income on one job.

Fam guy posted:

Let the free market do its job and determine the appropriate level of compensation for a job

The market has a price for every airframe we operate. We don't come close on any but the BBJ. You can't in good conscience argue that.

It's OK to make money. Just ask your leadership.

Hogprint said:
Fam guy posted:

The market has a price for every airframe we operate. We don't come close on any but the BBJ. You can't in good conscience argue that.

It's OK to make money. Just ask your leadership.

I can argue that.

Its a tradeoff....give up some of the other perks that you've negotiated and you get more pay....its that simple.

NBAA wages are not applicable...not when you have much better work schedules, rules, benefits, stability, etc....

FamilyGuy said:
Originally Posted by Tom Gasta
How can the Company afford “three times current payroll”.
Answer: First, the payroll is only 2 times as much...

Nice editing job....here's the next line...
I know what the next line was. It doesn't refer to our "pay," which you did:
You haven't said you should be paid 3x your current pay, but one of your 'negotiators' Tom Gasta did...
The "pay" is not 3x, it's 2x.
You dont have to say exactly what you make....you bracket it quite nicely with your earlier statements:
I still don't see which years I was referring to in there, but believe what you like. Doesn't change the facts, does it?

But you should not be trying to hold a company hostage economically to force them to pay a wage that allows you to get your "wants" on a single income basis.
How exactly are we doing that? We're not on strike, in case you hadn't noticed. If you're willing to work for a wage that only fulfills your "needs" and none of your "wants," go ahead, that's your choice. I am willing to work to make my wages better so I can have some "wants," too.

Let the free market do its job and determine the appropriate level of compensation for a job. This business of artificially inflating wages above the equilibrium point will only lead to pain in the future as the market corrects itself.
Okay, professor. :rolleyes: As has been pointed out, the free market has done its job - wages have been set in the NBAA averages. The company is artificially deflating them below the equilibrium point. We're trying to put them back where they should be.

I have had an epiphany. I have realized that I have been beating my head against a brick wall here on Flightinfo. I stepped out of a thread once before, now I'm out of the board altogether. I'm done with it. Our contract will be resolved eventually, and I'm certain that FamilyGuy, disptchrNJA, CMHTroll and the others will be VERY surprised at what the company is finally willing to step up and pay us. Time will tell. Enjoy.

famguy posted:

give up some of the other perks that you've negotiated and you get more pay

Told you before. Keep the crew food. I'd rather take the time to go eat.

On another note. Grump, don't give in to the FUD! Resist them to the bitter end! :)

Latest resources

Back