the life as a "corporate pilot"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2000flyer said:
Technically speaking (for pay and regulatory purposes;) ) I am a captain. However, I just consider myself a pilot qualified in both seats on our aircraft. Never been a "title" sort of guy.
2000Flyer,
You're a class act. You really are. No ego, as professional as they come, and nothing to prove except for the fact that you fly the airplane safely. 1st class. They don't make them like you anymore, and that is not a good thing.

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do when (if) you get pared up with someone that is none of the things I just named above? How do you handle that? How do you shut them down? Thanks.

BenderGonzales said:
...and then, of course, there is the benefit of watching your children grow up (and being there to participate!)

and, most importantly, spending almost every night at home in my own bed with my wife.
That's my next project.;)

HawkerF/O said:
2000Flyer,
You're a class act. You really are. No ego, as professional as they come, and nothing to prove except for the fact that you fly the airplane safely. 1st class. They don't make them like you anymore, and that is not a good thing.
Having actually met the 2000Flyer, I can personally verify that he is as you have described him!

GulfstreamSDL said:
I totally understand why your current position is one with high QOL....but, dont you get bored only flying 48 times a year? No offense at all. I would love barely working throughout the year, but still, barely working is barely doing anything. I guess its one of those things that having side-projects get rid of the days spent watching paint dry. :)
You know there's simply more important things in life than going to work. Which do you think is more fun to me, a 4 day, 16 flight-hour international trip requiring 6 overflight permits, or taking my kids to Seaworld?

Hint: I'm fired up to see Shamu!

HawkerF/O said:
2000Flyer,

If you don't mind me asking, what do you do when (if) you get pared up with someone that is none of the things I just named above? How do you handle that? How do you shut them down? Thanks.

You're (and 501261) too kind. Thank you. I'm humbled by your compliments.

We really only have one CAPTAIN ego in the department. He, and his wife of all people, refer to anyone he flies with as "his copilot." Generally speaking, he's a nice enough guy and easy to travel with until his supremacy issues surface. For example, paying for the fuel he'll hand the credit card and receipt to me (especially if there is a good looking CSR behind the counter) and tell me to put it in the log. To this I reply with a chuckle and walk off leaving him holding the card and ticket. Most of the time he knows when he has crossed the line.

Generally speaking, I'm not one to call and ass an ass unless they really cross the line. He made some self glorifying safety remark to the passengers (along the lines of he'd protect them from my landing) on my fourth or fifth trip as a new hire. Well, imagine two big horn sheep butting heads! Ever since (9 years and counting) he's never again made such a statement or joke. Lets just say I pick my battles.

To make a long story short(er), I'm not a confrontational type unless safety is an issue. If there is a issue that comes up, I'll discuss it in private over a beer and move on. I loathe people who decide to pick an argument in front of peers and co-workers (just another example of supremacy issues). I think you'll be more respected and appreciated down the road rather than to jump into it foaming at the mouth. I've found in those situations they only remember that you were completely ticked off and not the reason why you were so angry.

Again, thank you both for the kind remarks!

2000Flyer

Flybet3 said:
Have you ever done the 91/135 deal???

I've done each separately, but never 91/135 while flying for a corporation.

2000flyer said:
I've done each separately, but never 91/135 while flying for a corporation.

oh ok.....How long did you do 135? did ya like it?

Flybet3 said:
oh ok.....How long did you do 135? did ya like it?

Almost 20 years ago I flew 135 for a little more than a year. It was for a "mom and pop" operation doing charter, cargo and air ambulance. I enjoyed all but especially the air ambulance. It's nice when you know you're making a difference by helping someone.

Latest resources

Back