• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

the life as a "corporate pilot"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I hate to rain on everyone’s parade, but at least for me corporate flying is awesome when it’s good but can really suck. Almost everyone I know in the business (including myself) has at one time or another been kicked to the curb by having the flight department close or the airplane completely sold out from underneath them. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do, love the QOL and love the pay, but I never get to cozy because it could end at anytime.

jschroed said:
I hate to rain on everyone’s parade, but at least for me corporate flying is awesome when it’s good but can really suck. Almost everyone I know in the business (including myself) has at one time or another been kicked to the curb by having the flight department close or the airplane completely sold out from underneath them. Don’t get me wrong I love what I do, love the QOL and love the pay, but I never get to cozy because it could end at anytime.

That IS a hazzard of the business--there is no job security anywhere! BUT! At least you can take your experience to another department and have it count. AirTran doesn't give a rats a$$ that I've got 2000 hours of PIC in the 717--"to the bottom you go, junior!".

Portability is a HUGE advantage corporate has over the airlines.TC

One bad thing about corp jobs can be the location. I have a friend who is looking in VT and there is nothing.

jschroed said:
Sorry to say it, but you're right...

However, how is this any different than airline, military or any other type of flying? (Or any other career for that matter?) I've got plenty of airline and military buddies that were furlowed or forced to "fly a desk". I've lost two or three jobs over the years, but guess what? In each case, the replacement job I found was better in every way than the one I left.

In order to find that dream job you've got to be willing to go to it, it probably won't come to you. I've been flying corporate off and on (mostly on) since 1975. During the 25 years that I've flown corporate, we've lived in Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Ohio, Oregon and finally California. If you're only willing to stay in one particular area it will probably be difficult.

Just some thoughts.

'Sled

I fly corporate and enjoy the occupation.

What I don't like is that they are always taking away from the flight department. Sure we have nice equipment to operate, with the oldest bird being 4 years old out of 12 jets. All of the nice little perks I saw when I first came onboard were great. Five years later we are down to 50% of those perks with zero new perks in sight. The cost of living raise is a joke. I am actually making less overall now than I did last year. The company I fly for is nothing to sneeze at either. They are always increasing revenues and capacity but are squeezing us low management guys tighter and tighter.

Anyone else with this same impression flying corporate? QOL is exceptional. Pax are mostly very nice. The pilots I fly with are great to be near in the cockpit and on the ground. Is it just me or do I have a normal gripe?

Last edited:
FlyingPieceOfSt said:
I fly corporate and enjoy the occupation.

What I don't like is that they are always taking away from the flight department. Sure we have nice equipment to operate, with the oldest bird being 4 years old out of 12 jets. All of the nice little perks I saw when I first came onboard were great. Five years later we are down to 50% of those perks with zero new perks in sight. The cost of living raise is a joke. I actually I am making less overall now than last year. The company I fly for is nothing to sneeze at either. They are always increasing revenues and capacity but are squeezing us low management guys tighter and tighter.

Anyone else with this same impression flying corporate? QOL is exceptional. Pax are mostly very nice. The pilots I fly with are great to be near in the cockpit and on the ground. Is it just me or do I have a normal gripe?
Are you a straight part 91 operator with 12 aircraft? Would you like to discuss your salary, perks, retirement, etc. issues with the guys from Delta?

'Sled

Latest resources

Back