the life as a "corporate pilot"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jeff775621

Im not sure if this thread has already been started but i was just wondering how happy are you corporate guys? i have about 60 hours of sic in a citation II and i like the corporate lifestyle so far. What is the quality of life at your jobs are you home alot at nite and mostly day trips? Ive been reading around the site and all i hear how misrable regionals are these days and im starting to think that myself. any advice would be helpful. thank you

-Jef

I like it...the longer you're with a company the more BS you will uncover, but no real gripes. Wish I flew more instead of sitting at an FBO for 6+ hours on the majority of our trips!

I've always loved corporate flying, though it's not for everyone. Most years I average around 300 hours per year, though I have had as low as 150. Typical year is 55-65 RONs though last year I did 90. Looks like I'll do about he same this year. While I fly to typical "repeat" destinations, I do get to see my share of new places each year. Unlike the airline environment where they see a handfull of the same airports year in and year out.

Many like the hard schedules the airline and fractionals provide. My schedule is usually set a week in advance, sometimes more and may change a day or two in advance. Makes my job more interesting if you ask me, which you did ;). I am required to be available 24/7 unless I'm on vacation or have been given hard time off, I do not carry a pager. In nine years I've had one "pop-up" trip. Not bad if you ask me, which you did :D.

I used to say I'd never make what an airline pilot made in salary or retirement. Well, recent events are proving me dead wrong on that subject. I rode in the hotel shuttle with a UAL crew the other day and these folks were worried sick about their pensions and deeper pay cuts. In the words of the captain..."this job isn't fun anymore." That, my friends, speaks volumes.

2000Flyer

2000flyer said:
I've always loved corporate flying, though it's not for everyone. Most years I average around 300 hours per year, though I have had as low as 150. Typical year is 55-65 RONs though last year I did 90. Looks like I'll do about he same this year. While I fly to typical "repeat" destinations, I do get to see my share of new places each year. Unlike the airline environment where they see a handfull of the same airports year in and year out.

Many like the hard schedules the airline and fractionals provide. My schedule is usually set a week in advance, sometimes more and may change a day or two in advance. Makes my job more interesting if you ask me, which you did ;). I am required to be available 24/7 unless I'm on vacation or have been given hard time off, I do not carry a pager. In nine years I've had one "pop-up" trip. Not bad if you ask me, which you did :D.

I used to say I'd never make what an airline pilot made in salary or retirement. Well, recent events are proving me dead wrong on that subject. I rode in the hotel shuttle with a UAL crew the other day and these folks were worried sick about their pensions and deeper pay cuts. In the words of the captain..."this job isn't fun anymore." That, my friends, speaks volumes.

2000Flyer

nice.....are you a CPT or FO?

Some reasons I LOVE my "Corp" job:

1: Our stats for 2005:

Number of days flying= 48
RON's= 19
Total Hrs= 144.4 (including 27.8hrs for Hurricane Katrina Relief flying).
Number of days on call= ZERO
Schedule is known 3-6 months in advance.

2: A brand new PIC at our company makes more than an 18yr Regional RJ Captain. Every 121 pilot familiar with our dept. wants to know when we're hiring.

3: My CP is as professional and cool as they come.

4: Our boss is one of the kindest people I've ever met and makes us feel like family.

5: Our new plane is scheduled to enter pre-buy next week.

FWIW- I know at least 3 other guys locally with the same schedule who make more money than I do.

Good Luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Flybet3 said:
nice.....are you a CPT or FO?

Technically speaking (for pay and regulatory purposes;) ) I am a captain. However, I just consider myself a pilot qualified in both seats on our aircraft. Never been a "title" sort of guy.

HMR said:
Some reasons I LOVE my "Corp" job:

1: Our stats for 2005:

Number of days flying= 48
RON's= 19
Total Hrs= 144.4 (including 27.8hrs for Hurricane Katrina Relief flying).
Number of days on call= ZERO
Schedule is known 3-6 months in advance.

2: A brand new PIC at our company makes more than an 18yr Regional RJ Captain. Every 121 pilot familiar with our dept. wants to know when we're hiring.

3: My CP is as professional and cool as they come.

4: Our boss is one of the kindest people I've ever met and makes us feel like family.

5: Our new plane is scheduled to enter pre-buy next week.

FWIW- I know at least 3 other guys locally with the same schedule who make more money than I do.

Good Luck with your decision.

are you guys hiring??? hehehe

2000flyer said:
Technically speaking (for pay and regulatory purposes;) ) I am a captain. However, I just consider myself a pilot qualified in both seats on our aircraft. Never been a "title" sort of guy.

you're my kind of guy....are you guys flying strictly 91, or doing the 91/135 deal?

Latest resources

Back