T38 Student doesnt turn heat off vid

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gorilla said:
You T-38 guys can thank me, at least one moderator here (who I will not name), and a bunch of other Holloman IP's for bending the jets all to h3ll. Our mission was to teach BFM, ACM, and ground attack in a dedicated course now long gone... it ended in the early 1990's.

Thanks for allowing an ex-T-38 old fart reminisce a bit. :D

Hey Gorilla,

Thanks again to you HMN guys for giving controllers T-38 rides too. :D

I still have photos, didn't :puke: once. (Had the O2 and AC going pretty good though)

Too bad they won't let the new generation of controllers do that.:(

There were two Pakis in my IFF class. It was actually scary to have to fly with them. Nothing like seeing a -38 with around 150 Kts of closure at 1000ft on just a rejoin going to the airspace to make you want to keep an eye on them.

Gorilla, there is no option of resetting the G-meter like in the A/B mod. The electronic nanny is there to tell everyone that you over G'd the jet.

"We're all armchair QBs until you find yourself in a situation feeling helpless because stan can't comprehend what you're saying...or worse, lies about the position of his/her switches."

Every F-4 backseater can relate to this situation. I doubt if any of us would throw a stone at this IP.

V4Fun,
They ARE still flying Air Traffic controllers, at least in my Wing. It's pretty important, especially here, where we have a lot of ATC/Tower issues when it comes to ops/tower understanding each others LimFacs.

Huggy, what base is that? I haven't heard of an FAA controller getting a fun military ride for a decade or so. I think it's a great experience.

Gorilla said:
You T-38 guys can thank me, at least one moderator here (who I will not name), and a bunch of other Holloman IP's for bending the jets all to h3ll. Our mission was to teach BFM, ACM, and ground attack in a dedicated course now long gone... it ended in the early 1990's.

Thanks for allowing an ex-T-38 old fart reminisce a bit. :D
Jeez, that's why none of them fly straight!

"Whatta mean the AOA and airspeed mismatch by 10+ knots...on every jet?"

Now I know who to blame...:).

FastCargo

PS Though it's already been said, when we 'blow' out the system, it gets really, REALLY hot. It doesn't surprise me that the guy (IP) lost it. Imagine your 3rd sortie, hot TX summertime, you're tired, and now you've got something like a hairdryer cranked up to '11' blowing in your face. And you're trying to communicate to a guy who's English is not great.

A situation similar happened to a crew a few years ago. Except what happened is that they lost right AC power just as it went to full hot. When that happened they couldn't depressurise, turn down the heat, NOTHING! It got so bad that they attempted to make a small hole in the canopy with the canopy breaker tool...unfortunately, the small hole turned into a BIG one in the slipstream. Think about how hot it has to get for you to risk something like that....

Gorilla said:
......... They looked like F-4's sitting on the ramp.

Part of that was due to the genius I had for an IP in the 433rd. Direct quote: "You can't over-G the jet asymmetrically if you roll with the rudder". We'd go out and G it up to the 6-ish G straight pull limits and then stomp in a nice boot full of rudder. Nice loaded roll but I'm sure it bent the hell out of the jet.
Some of those jets were like old shopping carts..... you couldn't get all the wheels to touch the ground at the same time. :laugh:

SIG600 said:
Sensitive New Age Pilot

Edit... watch out for Fury... he's the Snapassasin! :)
haha...don't change your profile while intoxicated!

Lesson learned!

I figure some of you CBM folks know the IP on the tape. Is this standard for him, or is he a mild mannered dude?

V4F, the controllers we give rides to are mainly military. But we can and do offer them to FAA types too. It's been a while, but mainly due to us just not thinking of it. I've taken some FAA FSDO folks out in the past. That's good money spent, me thinks.

For those of you railing on this guy...let's put you in a cockpit that is 150 degrees (not bsing) with runaway heat and you have NO ability in the rear cockpit to turn it down with a student that doesn't speak English real well. This is a good dude who got in a bad situation, with the temperature going from 150 towards 200, the next action is punching off the canopy, then ejecting, so it's understandable that he got a little upset, in other words, if you haven't flown the T-38, lighten up on the dude...by the way Otto, how did you get a hold of this tape? I'm sure my coworker wouldn't appreciate you putting it out on flightinfo.com.

Latest resources

Back