• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWAPA might like SWA proposal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The sad thing about this is that my SWA neighbors in ATL are being hosed. I bet they'd give up some seniority for the ATL base...
Greedy seniorty integration and an ATL fence off is pretty short sighted for swapa. It'd be much better to fairly integrate and remove all fixes.
Why in the hell would you fence off the base that has the greatest potential for growth?
This is no different that inheritance.. Grab what's yours and grab what's not yours while you throw the family under the bus.
Good job guys.

And yet you continue with the rumors and conspiracies. If it gets voted down by either group, you'll get on here and claim that Karl Rove (aka, PCL) was able to make it happen. :rolleyes:

Mr Norton,
I'm not throwing stones in a glass house. I've indulged and written here my own thoughts on the SLI- guilty- but most have been just addressing attitudes and life/ culture/schedule/pay/etc at WN. And now it's not a conspiracy that a misinformation campaign prelude to a Vote No campaign has begun on the AT side. It's happening, friends there have told me, and Lear was posting to give a clearer picture than the torpedo artists.

I'm sincerely amazed at our management and respective NCs. It sounds like theyve come up with something that wont make anyone jump for joy- but that both sides can live with. Which is utterly amazing. The only comment I'm making now is to repeat what they're saying: give them the time to present it to us the right way, so we all make an informed decision and not a prejudicial one.
This management team is unbelievable at managing people- give them a chance to work their magic.

I like the Karl Rove line. If PCL hasn't been involved, I apologize. I have a friend there who back him militantly, and friends who don't trust him in this swa deal. One said he was involved with the leak and since I think he's proven to have an ALPA agenda more than an AT agenda and has been a SWA hater for 4+ years... It seemed to make sense. I won't be surprised if he is- from his "Dr Evil" cruise ship- but I don't know. I'm sure he won't be shy when it's time.

I will reiterate that if someone has violated non disclosure agreements and/or leaked premature, prejudicial items in the deal-- that ought to be a fireable offense.

Im not saying there isnt a price to pay for AT F.O.s but coming to SWA FO pay is the same as you upgrading to Capt at AT...you would have to work weekends when you upgrade there as well. You will get your "UPGRADE" when this deal is inked and then you will get your second "UPGRADE" when you move to the left seat here. If we look at it this way instead of worring which hand pushes the throttles up then you have to admit I have a point.

I will agree that the pay increase is similar to an upgrade. However, if you lose 3-4 years of seniority, will I hold weekends off? holidays? like I do now. I will have to wait to see the whole thing.

The sad thing about this is that my SWA neighbors in ATL are being hosed. I bet they'd give up some seniority for the ATL base...
Greedy seniorty integration and an ATL fence off is pretty short sighted for swapa. It'd be much better to fairly integrate and remove all fixes.
Why in the hell would you fence off the base that has the greatest potential for growth?
This is no different that inheritance.. Grab what's yours and grab what's not yours while you throw the family under the bus.
Good job guys.

A fence will usually protect a certain number of captain and f/o slots, in this case for the AT folks (I am still wondering how folks already know that a fence is part of this AIP?!). IF there is growth in ATL, obviously those new slots will be filled by anyone who the company displaces or who bids for the new positions. The only unknown would be how seniority would work in a fenced domicile. In the past, the fenced party would enjoy domicile seniority over a non-fenced pilot even if their system seniority was lower. In this way, the fenced group still retains the QOL they were accustomed to prior to the fence/integration.

A fence will usually protect a certain number of captain and f/o slots, in this case for the AT folks (I am still wondering how folks already know that a fence is part of this AIP?!). IF there is growth in ATL, obviously those new slots will be filled by anyone who the company displaces or who bids for the new positions. The only unknown would be how seniority would work in a fenced domicile. In the past, the fenced party would enjoy domicile seniority over a non-fenced pilot even if their system seniority was lower. In this way, the fenced group still retains the QOL they were accustomed to prior to the fence/integration.

I'm far more worried about MCO in this regard....... We've had guys playing the forced displacement game for about 4 years now. It would suck if they weren't protected too.

I will agree that the pay increase is similar to an upgrade. However, if you lose 3-4 years of seniority, will I hold weekends off? holidays? like I do now. I will have to wait to see the whole thing.

There are way too many unknowns for anyone to intelligently predict how things will end up for you. It will depend on your base and aircraft and what happens to that base and aircraft and how quickly. No matter how this is structured the "bottom guy" from this list will have 300 below him due to the new hires already on property. Thats roughly 4 percent system seniority.
Bid line quality is of course predicted more on domicile seniority. At less than 10 percent domicile seniority I have been able to hold partial or full weekends off on reserve with either Sunday starts or Wed starts. No trip or reserve block here is orginally built longer than 4 days. The only way you end up with longer is overlap. Reserve pays the greater of 6 tfp/day or what you fly during the month.

Mr Norton,
I'm not throwing stones in a glass house. I've indulged and written here my own thoughts on the SLI- guilty- but most have been just addressing attitudes and life/ culture/schedule/pay/etc at WN. And now it's not a conspiracy that a misinformation campaign prelude to a Vote No campaign has begun on the AT side. It's happening, friends there have told me, and Lear was posting to give a clearer picture than the torpedo artists.

I'm sincerely amazed at our management and respective NCs. It sounds like theyve come up with something that wont make anyone jump for joy- but that both sides can live with. Which is utterly amazing. The only comment I'm making now is to repeat what they're saying: give them the time to present it to us the right way, so we all make an informed decision and not a prejudicial one.
This management team is unbelievable at managing people- give them a chance to work their magic.

I like the Karl Rove line. If PCL hasn't been involved, I apologize. I have a friend there who back him militantly, and friends who don't trust him in this swa deal. One said he was involved with the leak and since I think he's proven to have an ALPA agenda more than an AT agenda and has been a SWA hater for 4+ years... It seemed to make sense. I won't be surprised if he is- from his "Dr Evil" cruise ship- but I don't know. I'm sure he won't be shy when it's time.

I will reiterate that if someone has violated non disclosure agreements and/or leaked premature, prejudicial items in the deal-- that ought to be a fireable offense.
Because I lead the "Vote No" campaign on T.A. 1 4+ years ago, I've been getting several emails/phone calls to see if I would be interested in joining the "Vote No" campaign they're starting for this (I'm not - we haven't even SEEN the actual language yet... hell, it hasn't even been DRAFTED, just the bulletpoints, people need to chill).

That said, PCL is not in that group, nor is Ty (although neither of them are thrilled with the seniority hit...). I mean, let's face it, no one here thought they'd lose that much relative seniority - it's a shock and it's taking time to adjust.

Please don't read this as an insult to the value of a Southwest career. It's not. It's just that the amount of seniority our Merger Committee conceded is much more than even the attorneys thought we'd ever see worst-case as well as being far worse than any seniority loss arbitration in recent history and we just weren't expecting it. People need time to adjust and to get more information when the AIP is formalized with language.

Because I lead the "Vote No" campaign on T.A. 1 4+ years ago, I've been getting several emails/phone calls to see if I would be interested in joining the "Vote No" campaign they're starting for this (I'm not - we haven't even SEEN the actual language yet... hell, it hasn't even been DRAFTED, just the bulletpoints, people need to chill).

That's the most rational thing said here yet on this...I cant believe there is a vote no campaign before the thing is even drafted.

Latest resources

Back