Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA today like the airline in the book, "Nuts!"?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The first agreement was an insult and it was rightfully rejected by the MEC.
Explain to me what was insulting about an agreement where any AirTran Captains that lost their seats due to a reduction in total Captains had the 1st choice to them for upgrade, something that Southwest pilots wouldn't have. Also how was it insulting that in the event of a furlough it would have been done out of seniority order. I guess the final insult was that AirTran pilots got Southwest pay while still flying at AirTran. If all that was insulting just what did you need to get so that you wouldn't be insulted?

How 'bout not losing 32% of their seniority?

32% from their AirTran seniority?

You were absorbed by a carrier 5 times larger. Your expectations were a little off.

Explain to me what was insulting about an agreement where any AirTran Captains that lost their seats due to a reduction in total Captains had the 1st choice to them for upgrade, something that Southwest pilots wouldn't have. Also how was it insulting that in the event of a furlough it would have been done out of seniority order. I guess the final insult was that AirTran pilots got Southwest pay while still flying at AirTran. If all that was insulting just what did you need to get so that you wouldn't be insulted?

The SLI was the insulting part, but the loose language ensured ample latitude to steal our seats, just as they have done now.

At best, we would have been itinerant gypsy captains, bouncing between the left and right seats, and reserve in OAK and LAS, for the next decade. . . . Much like the current group of SWA upgrades will be after 2015.

I actually have no problem being civil towards 99% of the SWA pilots. Hell, I'd happily buy a beer for the guys on the SWAPA MC. I have no animosity there. It's just the handful of guys who can't help but be completely arrogant a-holes. Guys like waveflyer and canyonblue. They deserve nothing but derision. As best I can remember, you've never behaved like them, so we're cool. :)

Im shaking from all the derision, pcl
:rolleyes:

you got a huge shortcut, just too greedy to realize it.

The forgotten group in all this are the FOs. I would have traded spots with you Ty. We worked for a long time with wages and work rules far below industry average. Many of the complainers were people with no children, families they don't give a s#$t about, or one with a working spouse. Or, furloughed from somewhere with a back up plan. Many FOs are the lone income in a family with young children. I just thought a union was suppose to look at the big picture and consider all of the members. My bad. Give it a F@#king rest people. Airtran wasn't horrible but it wasn't great. I mean damn.

The forgotten group in all this are the FOs. I would have traded spots with you Ty. We worked for a long time with wages and work rules far below industry average. Many of the complainers were people with no children, families they don't give a s#$t about, or one with a working spouse. Or, furloughed from somewhere with a back up plan. Many FOs are the lone income in a family with young children. I just thought a union was suppose to look at the big picture and consider all of the members. My bad. Give it a F@#king rest people. Airtran wasn't horrible but it wasn't great. I mean damn.

You seem to forget that the "senior guys" were in the same position, or perhaps worse off, then you . . . . When I was a newhire, my daughter was 13 months old, it was just after 9/11 and our rate of pay that year was $35.50/hr.

During the last Contract fight, most Captains advocated the bulk of the improvements in compensation go to the FO's . . . that's why the FO rates went up by such a large percentage; almost twice as much as the CA rates. Same with the bonus money.

Last edited:
Oh....OK. Thanks Dad. My bad. I also forgot how great the Sleep Inn in BWI was or the "Quality Inn " in DFW. Those were the days.

Man, you sure hit the nail right on the head.

Latest resources

Back