SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
canyonblue said:
That "fast taxi" rumor is another myth that has been going on for ever, and threads like this just keep it alive.
I have no interest in bad-mouthing anybody but the prevalent fast-taxiing of SW planes is no myth. Five years of seeing confirms it. In fact, when I've commuted on y'all I liked it. The only cut-off maneuvers I've ever witnessed were committed by legacy carriers.

And how do you know that the two SWA jets werent told to follow the airbus on tower freq. Ive had citrus at Bwi holding number 1 at rw 28 and we pull up 30 sec later, tower tries to clear citrus 3 times for t/o with no reply, then they clear usto t/o. A few secs later Citrus is whining like my wife and tower says you need to be on the correct freq for a clearance to t/o. **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** happens, and i really doubt that you needed to slam on your brakes, but it would make for a good story in the bar that night that we were almost hit by swa and through my great airmanship i saved your life Miss 20 year old, and then you might get laid or something to that effect. We are all not perfect, chill out and Ty give up on those anal beads for a stress reliever

When I did my intial fed ride after upgrade, the Fed told me, taxi a little faster then Delta, and a little slower then SWA, and you will be just fine!!

As for the myth about fast taxiing at SWA, look at the DOT numbers for reported taxi times per airport. You can find them at the DOT t100 forms. SWA has the lowest taxi times of any carrier. Not that that is a bad thing, it just a thing.

By the way, not everyone at FL is a whiner.

One last thing, if that story works on a 20 year old at the bar, I'm giving it a try.

Please!

If I had experienced what Ty claims happened, I think I would be spending my time on ASAP reports, phone calls and letters to the facility supervisor. I would find out what actually happened instead of posting non-substantive accusations anonymouslly on flightinfo.

Ty's post is nothing but good old-fashioned flame-bait, and not worthy of a resp........Dang too late! I've been suckered in! Come on Ty, get real. Do you really have a safety concern here? Honestly, man.

I dont care if SWA taxies fast or not,,,makes no difference to me personally. However being a student of the universe I do find it interesting that all the other carriers,,,legacy's, low cost, regionals, freighters, etc. all taxi at relatively the same speed... 15KTS is our SOP,,,and believe me we are not "waiting for the numbers" as an earlier post suggested. SWA is the only carrier (that I have seen) that consistently VISIBLY taxies faster than everyone else. Do they know somthing that the other pilots for these other carriers do not?

Last edited:
WillowRunVortex said:
SWA is the only carrier (that I have seen) that consistently VISIBLY taxies faster than everyone else. Do they know somthing that the other pilots for these other carriers do not?
Every second counts, it is that simple. Every minute (or even second) longer it takes the gate agent to get the jetway off the aircraft, the tug driver unhooked from the aircraft, the F/O to call for taxi, and Captain to get the aircraft to the runway leads to missed opportunities for departure. That one or two minutes you do not capitalize on at the beginning of the day ends up costing you an hour or more at the end. You can be highly efficient and safe at the same time.

tz800ca said:
Every second counts, it is that simple. Every minute (or even second) longer it takes the gate agent to get the jetway off the aircraft, the tug driver unhooked from the aircraft, the F/O to call for taxi, and Captain to get the aircraft to the runway leads to missed opportunities for departure. That one or two minutes you do not capitalize on at the beginning of the day ends up costing you an hour or more at the end. You can be highly efficient and safe at the same time.

Its been my experience that the best way to end up late is to show up early,,,and have to give em the "well folks it looks like we took em by surprise" riga-ma-roll,,,and sit on the holding pad or at a different gate with the door shut.

Ty,

Why not call SWA professional standards? They will look into it, launch a full investigation. Maybe Kenneth Starr will help out?

I thought about calling Delta's professional standards when one of their pilots' call me an "idiot" on the radio (Denver Center) a few months back. True Story. I decided, he was having a bad day and left it at that.

Recently I've noticed UAL taxing faster than SWA...just saw it today in SEA.

Times are changing I guess.

Pickin Pete the Booger Man, no doubt about it __________________

Man I started to call him that but then I chickened out. Thanks for a good laugh....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back