• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA tactics on the ramp and taxiways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Havn't any of you guys ever been to O'Hare? What is considered being cut off at any other airport is normal ops at ORD. Hell, even half the traffic on the same taxway is on another frequency (inbound and outbound ground frequencies).

Every airline has bad apples. But the cowboys at different airlines seem to be the worst offender for different reasons. In my experience, United would never give way to Atlantic Coast, first when we recieved the first RJs, then when we announced FLYi. United would probably still cut us off at IAD, but ground traffic moves so slow there that it is impossible for anyone to cut anyone off.

AA and Eagle seems like the worst in general at ORD, perhaps for the reasons given earlier. I've been intentionally cut off at ALB by Southwest as well. Have people at my airline done it? Absolutely, I'm sure it's happened.

"The aircraft on the other's right has the right of way". This rule applies on the ground as well, and seems to be long forgotten.

Personally I don't assume any right away unless it is clear between the controller and all the others involved.

WillowRunVortex said:
Its been my experience that the best way to end up late is to show up early,,,and have to give em the "well folks it looks like we took em by surprise" riga-ma-roll,,,and sit on the holding pad or at a different gate with the door shut.

You must work for ATA ;)

Sure it does happen, but when you have a whole company pulling in the same direction with the same attitude, it rarely does. I would luv to see more folks with that can do attitude over here on the dark side.

A not so old joke heard at ORD:

American, you got your numbers yet?

United, I don't have time to argue with you right now.

Delta, do you know where you are? I said taxi.........

Falcon Jet,

Could SW have been given clearance by tower to follow cactus. Entirely possible. But since they were on ground frequency I kind of doubt it - unless SW has a "special" procedure for calling tower as they leave the ramp (5000 feet from the departure end of the runway) and then switching back to ground for taxi out.

Secondly, yes the brakes were slammed, and needed to be to avoid ground mishap. I'm always amazed how people on this board seem to be all knowing about situations that they were not a part of. Falcon, can't you just admit that nobody and no airline is perfect. Every airline has its poor aviators (or taxiers as the case may be) and SW is no different. My comments were in no way meant to ensinuate that SW teaches its pilots to be dangerous. Fast maybe, but not dangerous and careless. I think that is pretty clear if you reread my post. But to assume that a pilot from another airline is wrong because he posts a comment about a particular SW pilot's carelessness (which is the subject of this thread) is rather ridiculous. If I had said it was two United airplanes that cut us off, I suspect you would have either agreed or not said anything at all. If you want to start a thread about AirTran pilots missing take-off clearances, then we could all talk about that on that thread, but for this thread it's SW's (or a few SW pilot's) careless taxiing that is the issue.

Nice can of worms that was opened here............ I just hope there is a little professional courtesy that gets displayed both here and on the line........ Ironically just yesterday a Mesa "e-jay" played the I don't see em game and cut us off on the ramp after being told to follow us,the female (easy! I just mention the gender so they know we knew what they were up to) FO was looking at us when she replied that we were not insight only 20 feet away) it wasn't that close , I didn't even have to really touch the brakes. More amazingly I didn't mouth my usual sarcastic verbal display on the radio, I just bit my tongue knowing what comes around goes around. We taxied out to 18L and sure enough got a departure from the bypass leaving them holding short behind one of their company at full length. I'm just blabbing all this to show that it all even s out in the end..... One day you are the cat , another day you are the litter box! (a small percentage are the pieces of $#it that are left behind in the litter box) I hope junior in the "e-jay" grows up and/or wises up so that he can enjoy his privilege to fly another day. More importantly, I hope his immature actions don't cause an accident involving any of my family, friends or co-workers! Keep in mind that some of us are trying to mke up time, catch a tight connection to commute home after being out for 6 days, or just in a hurry to get a bite to eat between flights duing a long day with no breaks.......... that may be the only reason for a fast taxi. As long as you don't have to slam on your bakes or cause anyone else to do the same I don't see a problem with someones taxi rate as long as won't affect me or others. Play nice out there because it's not smart to piss anyone off in the aviation industry, remember?
PS: i really enjoyed the SW conspiracy stuff............ I know it's true because i read it on flightinfo.com :rolleyes:
Future SW upgrade classes are being held in Roswell (ufo land) too............................

Ty,

You say "Corn Dog" like its some kind of insult. We love our flying corndogs! I hope we keep a few of or classic colors as our fleet gets repainted. Those "corn dogs" are money makers!

Give me a double helping of SW, AT,or JB! I'll fly eat drink and fly; yellow and green, purple and tan, or blue an white any day.............. just get me away from this place that embarrasses me on a daily basis!

Those of you that want to dine in the corn dog section, that's fine by me, just put the corn dog down long enough to pick up the mike and acknowlege Ground when they tell you to give way . . . . ..

That's all this whole thing was about . . . but you guys respond like the freakin' Scientologists. . . . the Church of Southwestology . . . .

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back