• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
#2. If I didn't gain 32% seniority, you didn't lose 32% seniority, simple math.

I'm no math guru...but I did hear it explained once that it had to do with the differing sizes of the pilot groups. Basically, because AirTran had a much smaller pilot group relative to the SWA pilot group. Ex..in order for the SWA group to gain X amount of seniority, the Airtran group would lose 3 times X seniority...simply due to the math.
Not trying to stir the pot, maybe someone could explain it better. And I can verify that 32% number as accurate, at least for some of the AAI guys. It varied depending on where you were on the list. Looking at my numbers, I was a 30% dude.

#2. If I didn't gain 32% seniority, you didn't lose 32% seniority, simple math.

Sorry, but I can't stand hearing that response, it makes no sense.
Canyonblue, it is a function of the fact that Southwest had about 3.5 times the number of pilots as AirTran did. The #1 pilot at SWA gained 0% relative seniority (since he is still #1). From there, the relative seniority gained line for Southwest pilots slants up to until gains are in the high single digits And pretty much stays there to the bottom of the SWA list (sorry don't have my old charts handy for exact numbers).

The #1 pilot at AirTran lost about 17% relative seniority (now about 1,350 on ISL). From there, the losses go up to the plateau with losses in the low to mid 30%'s before coming down to 0% along the staple line. If I remember right the average relative seniority loss for the AirTran pilots was just under 25%. To use real life numbers, I was 44% on the pre-merger AirTran list while I am around 75% on the ISL.

I hope that helps. If we ever get to fly a trip together, I can bore the crap out of you with more numbers if you want :)

Seems to be the point with many of us, how did this acquisition help me?
Southwest's growth prospects are better post AirTran acquisition than before. That is part of why Gary Kelly decided to buy AirTran.

The ISL is set, integrating the 2 airlines will accelerate later this year when the B717s start heading to Delta, and the DRC claim will head to a neutral arbitrator for resolution. Now, it is up to all 8,000 of us on the ISL to help Gary Kelly achieve his 15% ROIC target. Block hour growth (and thus more pilots) is the only thing that will speed up the healing process for both sides.

AT pilots look at relative seniority and SWA pilots don't. That's what is simple. What may help some AT pilots is if they look at how much seniority they lost from DOH. Based on my AT hire date I should have been right around 50% on the combined list. I ended up at 59%. That doesn't sound as horrible as the 30% relative loss I took. I never expected to get relative in arbitration. And I'm never going to get that seniority back, so why dwell on it?

Now that would be funny, sticking a bunch of Eastern scabs at the top of the SWA list.

I would have quit.This place would not have lasted .

Last edited:
There are so many different statistical ways to look at these numbers. If you look at my SLI snapshot, it shows a small gain. If you in turn look at my retirement snapshot, I will lose all that gain by the time I retire. When I analyze my numbers and my QOL going forward, I did not get anything from this deal. That said, we all have numbers and spreadsheets that tell our story.

Guess what, it is what it is and I cannot change a thing. All I can do is have a positive attitude going forward.

AT pilots look at relative seniority and SWA pilots don't. That's what is simple. What may help some AT pilots is if they look at how much seniority they lost from DOH. Based on my AT hire date I should have been right around 50% on the combined list. I ended up at 59%. That doesn't sound as horrible as the 30% relative loss I took. I never expected to get relative in arbitration. And I'm never going to get that seniority back, so why dwell on it?

Guys, I understand relative seniority, I just don't understand your point in using it in an argument. Since relative seniority would have never happened, why would anyone use that percentage to base an argument on? That was the only point I was making. I wish my relative seniority went up 32%, it didn't, far from it. I agree that the best way to view it is to look at seniority lost from DOH.

Latest resources

Back