• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA plan for 15% ROIC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
.15 is pretty big. Alaska's goal is .10 and they are raking the cash in getting .11-.12.
SWA generated 15% ROIC in Q2 2012 (when annualized). Of course it didn't hurt that Jet A dropped about $0.60/gallon between the start and finish of the quarter (before climbing again substantially in Q3 and Q4). If fuel stays in the $3.30/range and Gary Kelly acheives his $1 billion extra revenue target from the connection of the two systems, the extra 6 seats with the Evolve interiors, and the replacement of B717s with B737-800s, Southwest will be flirting if not hitting 15% ROIC in 2013.

In today's crazy world with Bernanke and the ECB running the printing presses on premium unleaded, I don't think running the airline conservatively is a horrible thing. Gary Kelly wants to grow but isn't going to overleverage the company just for the sake of growth.

PCL128, if Gary Kelly ever leaves, I will write you a recommendation letter to replace him. It seems like you have it all figured out. Remind me what school you got your MBA at so I can include that in my letter of recommendation.

Last edited:
PCL128, if Gary Kelly ever leaves, I will write you a recommendation letter to replace him. It seems like you have it all figured out. Remind me what school you got your MBA at so I can include that in my letter of recommendation.

It was Atlanta High School. His MBA is a gold medallion he made in art class ( he is to much of a sissy for shop).

He keeps it on his night stand next to the one that says( fat people rock)

Mr. ALPA got his diploma at the Gulfstream School for PFT clowns

Says the guy who acts like the CEO, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, the Secretary of the Treasury, and a merger attorney, all at the same time? :rolleyes:

SWA is no longer the low cost carrier. Market pressures are making it harder to be profitable. Great airline, great place to work, but can their product of free bags, no changes fees, and highest wages survive in the present market? Management's job is to work to ensure survial and saving of everyone's job. Union's job is to find ways to increase productivity and reduce CSM. That is the reality of today's airline market.

Uh, no, that's not the union's job.
So what is the role of the union when it moves to destroy a company, do they then become known as "Company Busters". I am sure you have an answer right?;)

So what is the role of the union when it moves to destroy a company, do they then become known as "Company Busters". I am sure you have an answer right?;)

I'm really not sure what you're talking about. I've never seen a union "move to destroy a company."

Says the guy who acts like the CEO, the Chairman of the Federal Reserve, the Secretary of the Treasury, and a merger attorney, all at the same time? :rolleyes:
Where have I ever posted and told Gary Kelly how to run his airline? I do think I could have done a better job than Greenspan or Bernanke as Fed chief. Boy can those guys blow bubbles.

With respect to merger attorney, I guess this DFR lawsuit might prove who the better merger attorney is, Maxblast72 or PCL128 :)

Latest resources

Back