• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot union gives away flying!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That thing has more holes than prairie dog town. No RJ's unless you buy someone that already has them? Are you kidding me? You can buy a company right now that flys RJ's at a blue light special. You dont see that as the nose of the camel? Cuts are cuts and giving away scope is death by a thousand cuts.

That thing has more holes than prairie dog town. No RJ's unless you buy someone that already has them? Are you kidding me? You can buy a company right now that flys RJ's at a blue light special. You dont see that as the nose of the camel? Cuts are cuts and giving away scope is death by a thousand cuts.
There is only one reason language like that is included.

That means they are looking at buying a RJ lift provider for $0.10 on the $1.00. Mesa is about $0.001 on the $1.00.

There are, without question, negatives in this TA. However, the pro column is much bigger than the con column.
  • Pay raises; Retro; 2% 401k bump (while others are decreasing); Scope language that actually defines all of our flying and that only we can do it; NO RJs unless we purchase a carrier that already operates them and then it remains status quo; prohibition on domestic codeshare; and some other gains.
  • Reduction (by half and Lances get hosed, but there's an increase in Captain positions) in the Lance Captain program; allowance of trans-border codeshare and little restrictions on that; ELITT restrictions (this one sux); first year pay potential reduced; and a few other negatives.
The point being that there is NO perfect agreement. What good is a perfect contract when a company can be noncompliant at will with the support of an arbitrator? Just ask the APA how good their language is to them when a judge gets a hold of it. If any company wants to participate in any activity-they will. Labor cannot stop it when judges won't even uphold agreements.

We locked out domestic codeshare, wetleases, alter-ego flying, far-international codeshare, Hawaii, Alaska, and RJ's. Everyone is getting spooled up over the "duration of the agreement" language. This agreement is amendable, it doesn't expire. When the contract is amendable, we remain status quo and we keep trucking as if the contract went on forever.

News Flash: We are back at the table in 2011 and it would take a job action to get codehsare off the property. If you don't like codeshare, call Ike and Hugo. They are the ones that wanted it instead of a merger with ATA. They were asked and went the codeshare route. Tell Ike and Hugo how you feel and thank them for codeshare because they brought it to you.

Dude,
We got housed here plain and simple. The ELITT changes are SEVERE...there will be NO real ELITT or flexibility now...that is a huge QOL concession. Probably the one thing that makes life so good here is flexibility and that is GONE with this TA. Our retirement is subpar to ALL other majors. Even JetBlue gets a 5% match and a GUARANTEED 5% profitsharing (that's 10% and more than ours). Our pay rates have to be higher to make up for the lack of retirement. The outsourcing protections still have no teeth despite all the concessions. We got our asses handed to us by a skillful and smarter SWA negotiating team. Pilots are just so dumb...it may still pass even now.

ACL,

Ok, so they ride on Westjet.

What you have to look at is the total package.

No domestic code share. Limits on trans-border code sharing.

Raises, retro, new holiday pay, new premium pay to include some 1.5x ($270/hr) and 2x pay rates (over $400/hr)at 2010 rates, improvements in 401K including a Roth 401K option, mandated # of a/c by certain dates, the list goes on. No pilot group is going to get every little thing they want. The pluses far exceed the minuses. So...they ride Westjet from MDW to YYZ. Ok - a minus but there are more pluses. In the meantime, no domestic code share plus everything else I mentioned. Very acceptable., including the $187 trip at the end of 2010 ($215/hour to fly a 737).

Mach 80, you can forget about premium pay...it aint gonna happen anymore! Why? Because we just gave away the farm on the ELITT/scheduling changes...did you read the TA? There will be NO trading off weekends AT ALL...this is a huge win for the company. 2 weekends a month EVERY month with no real trading off weekends and no real lance program anymore. you think you are going to get any real premium pay now? No chance...guess what...it aint gonna happen but for the very top of the list. Reread the actual language and you will see what a bone job this thing is. Dont skip the new open time system either. This is all a scheduler's wet dream...they could not have played us better.

Just curious as to what the 401K or Bfund is bumping to. In addition, do you get an automatic profit sharing or stock purchase/issuance program?

Thanks from a JB guy surrounded by guys who don't understand the difference between profit sharing and retirement.

Good Luck,
Murk

Profit sharing is the same in this TA as the last. 401K is as follows.
2009=100% up to 7.8%
2010=100% up to 8.8%
2011=100% up to 9.3%

While these numbers are ok for the most part, the scheduling changes will have a huge impact on a lot of people here, including me.

Still reading, but still a "NO" vote mainly because of Section 1 (Scope) and scheduling changes.

Dude,

Pull up open time for Captains in any base on any given day. What do you see? Nothing? One trip? Now pull up ELITT. In most bases there are less than 10 trips and net zero is over 20 - for the entire month. If you think cutting lances by half will increase captain positions you are wrong. It will simply be shown as an increase in ELITT and DOT.

Gup

Guys and gals,
Any thoughts on limiting this discussion to our SWAPA forum? This I think would be a more appropriate venue.

i heard that this new TA reduces first year pay. Does anyone have the specifics?

Thanks from a poolie in waiting...

Pay raises; Retro; 2% 401k bump (while others are decreasing); Scope language that actually defines all of our flying and that only we can do it; NO RJs unless we purchase a carrier that already operates them and then it remains status quo; prohibition on domestic codeshare; and some other gains.
Looks like this will be the only way I'll ever fly a plane with "Southwest" on the side of it. :mad:

i heard that this new TA reduces first year pay. Does anyone have the specifics?

Thanks from a poolie in waiting...

No, it's not reduced. Goes up to 49 and change I think per trip. I'm to disgusted to look at the document anymore.

Latest resources

Back