• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Pilot union gives away flying!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys got no RJs, a raise and are bitching? Seriously?

I need to introduce you to some of my friends over at US Air.

They have every right to be "bitching." Scope is everything. Giving away the flying that is their one true opportunity at significant growth over the coming years would be a very bad move. What good is $220/hr if your job is outsourced to a Mexican pilot?

What you have to look at is the total package.

Sounds very reminiscent of DAL and UAL pilots who were looking at $320/hr and "only" had to give up some scope. "It's only 57 70-seaters. What can it hurt?" Over 50% of DAL block hours are now flown by replacement jets piloted by pilots not on their seniority list. Don't fall for the same trap. Scope is everything.

Voting absolutely freakin'....NO!!!!

There is no reason why we can't do the flying. And the company/union are saying that the Canadians are loyal to their airlines???!!! Give me a break, where do a lot of our passengers come from in Buffalo!!! A cheaper ticket is a cheaper ticket...doesn't matter what country you're from.

Codeshare language sucks. 2% raise is b.s. FO's will be sold out like the age 65 thing. Oh, and if your a lance captain and aren't going to be in the new cut off margin by the end of the year....you're out of luck. What happened to THAT protection?

NO VOTE all the way for me.:angryfire

Ah...hubris. Bitching about making $400/hour.

I really, truly want to bring some of you SWA guys over to my furloughed friend's house.

RJs and stupid management cost them their jobs and you guys don't even recognize how good you have it, if you actually killed RJs dead.

You're starting to look like United in 2000, or Pan Am in 1984.

This is a perfect example of why we pilots are our own worst enemies! Here we are trying to 'raise the bar' and now suddenly we're all full of hubris. What ever happened to 'Defending The Profession?" Yes, I know things suck for a lot of people in this crazy business right now, but SWA is still a healthy company. We pilots finally have an opportunity to overhaul the contract we've been working under for 14 years, plus the company has rasied the ugly specter of codesharing. Forgive me if some of us aren't willing to readily accept the company's first offer.:angryfire

What you have to look at is the total package.

Yep, spoken like a true four-digit type. :rolleyes: Actually, for those of us with a lot of years left with this company, you don't need to look past Section 1. Afterall, that's what Carl always said: If we don't have controls on codeshare, nothing else matters. From what I've read in Section 1 so far, our 'controls' have no teeth. Very disappointing.

P.S. Mach 80, did you happen to see that our Flight Attendants got 3% raises in their TA?

For what its worth I think Im voting no.

I didnt think I would but I have to. I luv this place but I want to do the flying for it! Ive been thru this before and have been on strike for 89 days before. It sucked but It had to be done. I dont think that will happen here but we have to stand up for keeping our flying ours.

First of all....as for the pay raises I honestly dont think we can do much better. Look around us. IF we go to arbitration we will get pay cuts.

With that being said.....I dont like the elitt changes and other QOL changes. We gave up to much here! There are some positive changes in other things, but the negatives out weigh the positives.

As for scope......I cant agree to outsource all of our intl flying. There are to many places we can go in our planes to connect to other airlines.

I didnt think I would do it, but im going to vote no. I got screwed with age 65 so im sure as hell not going to get screwed by codeshare. I dont want to be a fo for 14 years......im already pissing captains off now!

Guys and gals,
Any thoughts on limiting this discussion to our SWAPA forum? This I think would be a more appropriate venue.

NO. What you guys do here, effects all of us....

In the realm of the profession.... your TA is a "public" issue....

pardon my ignorance...

but, isn't QOL with scheduling, and NO codeshare the 2 most distinguishable attributes about SWA..(besides the culture)? SWA was never really the industry leader in pay (until recently), but they were always the leader in QOL and only having SWA guys fly SWA tails...

i'd hate to see that change....especially over a 2% raise and some increase in 401k matching...

just my $0.02....i don't have a vote in this fight....yet.

It does affect first year pay but not the basic rate.

It severely limits the ability of a first year pilot to give away/dump his line and pick up extra flying at 2nd year rates. Right now, if a guy is able to get rid of his trips (through ELITT or TTGA) any flying he picks up from the company through open time is paid at 2nd year rates. This contract says that only flying above his original line total (let's call it 90 trips) will be paid at 2nd year rates. A big hit, especially for military guys that drop a trip a month and then might try to pick up a turn or two day at 2nd year rates, no more (if this TA passes).

It does affect first year pay but not the basic rate.

It severely limits the ability of a first year pilot to give away/dump his line and pick up extra flying at 2nd year rates. Right now, if a guy is able to get rid of his trips (through ELITT or TTGA) any flying he picks up from the company through open time is paid at 2nd year rates. This contract says that only flying above his original line total (let's call it 90 trips) will be paid at 2nd year rates. A big hit, especially for military guys that drop a trip a month and then might try to pick up a turn or two day at 2nd year rates, no more (if this TA passes).

i bet a mgmt accounting nerd already calculated that by doing this....they will actually be paying less in pilot salaries under the new "pay increased" contract, then they are now...

Latest resources

Back