• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/FL Codeshare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You have not addressed my question. Why in SIA1 and 2 were ANY guys stapled? Fodder so others can gain is the only answer I can come up with. And the 400 of us did not even get a simple Thank you.

SAI 1. Was the same... STAPLE the junior guys.
I don't mind sacrificing, if asked, but to just be thrown under the bus. Not cool what is even more insulting is that I still have to pay dues. Didn't I give enough? I got nothing, 0, nada out of EITHER deal. I got no representation from ALPA
I WAS SOLD OUT, and I still have to pay dues. How insulting is that.

Just curious, what do you think ALPA could have done differently? SWA and SWAPA obviously was not your friend, but what could ALPA do to counteract their duplicity?

Simple... do not agree to pilot stapling. JUST SAY NO.

But it's just too easy to give up the junior guys. They sold out 20% of the pilot group!

Which brings it right back around, if it was so bad, you should have left it and gone to arbitration. Instead, 80 plus percent voted in favor, a new record vote margin by the way.:beer:

Oh come on! What NEW info did the AT guys get before the 2nd vote? Do you care to guess? I don't think it was "Hi guys, you smell terrific. Hey, please vote Yes on the second vote, and we'll all have cookies...." WRONG. I bet I know why the 2nd vote was at 80%, and you do too. Gimmmmmmeeeee a break..... Your post is now the FI post of 2012, and the most ridiculous. Yeah, everyone was so joyous, they voted 80% in favor....yeah.

Did you once work as campaign manager for Hugo Chavez? Just askin?

Bye Bye----General Lee

Last edited:
You have not addressed my question. Why in SIA1 and 2 were ANY guys stapled? Fodder so others can gain is the only answer I can come up with. And the 400 of us did not even get a simple Thank you.

I don't mind sacrificing, if asked, but to just be thrown under the bus. Not cool what is even more insulting is that I still have to pay dues. Didn't I give enough? I got nothing, 0, nada out of EITHER deal. I got no representation from ALPA
Go do the math, the whole list was designed for one reason, and passed SWA leadership for one reason, that was: end game retirement position.

The list ensures SWA guys, down to lowest person pre SLI will retire at exactly the same seniority number as Pre SLI. Yes, some win, up wards of 7%, most however, as the list slides to the bottom, end up at exactly where they where pre merger. This was done for one reason, the AT pilots are a younger group, will be around longer, and will move up the list faster as time progresses. Yes, some will not due to their age being above the norm.

I hit the middle, about a 3-4% gain now, but by my retirement date, I end up within .001% of where I started. I think that makes the list pretty damn fair, no matter what ********************head GL says.

Last edited:
Go do the math, the whole list was designed for one reason, and passed SWA leadership for one reason, that was: end game retirement position.

The list ensures SWA guys, down to lowest person pre SLI will retire at exactly the same seniority number as Pre SLI. Yes, some win, up wards of 7%, most however, as the list slides to the bottom, end up at exactly where they where pre merger. This was done for one reason, the AT pilots are a younger group, will be around longer, and will move up the list faster as time progresses. Yes, some will not due to their age being above the norm.

I hit the middle, about a 3-4% gain now, but by my retirement date, I end up within .001% of where I started. I think that makes the list pretty damn fair, no matter what ********************head GL says.

When you craft the list without a neutral watching, it doesn't always make it FAIR. Hmmmmm. A Neutral has NOTHING to gain, and can look at it from an outside view. But, you disagree..... You, BUBBA, and RED...... don't worry, everyone else can see it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Again, you're asking the wrong people.

Ask Southwest management, not your union. Southwest management created the list and refused to budge off it. First time in the history of aviation that a management team has done the work of one of the unions during an Allegheny-Mohawk seniority integration.

You weren't sold out by ALPA, unless you were advocating that we turn it down and take our chances with arbitration and the threat of non-integration. A position that was NOT supported by the pilot group at large after the GK letter post-SIA 1 vote.

IS that what you are saying here? You wanted us to take it to arbitration? Because that was the ONLY way you were going to get better seniority. Why? Not because of ALPA, but because of SWA management.

So would you have asked us to turn down SIA 2? Is that what you wanted?

Fair for Southwest pilots? I'd say more than fair. No pilot group expects to be EXACTLY where they were pre-merger when the dust settles when integrating two profitable, non-bankrupt carriers. Your non-movement cost AAI pilots 60-70% or more of their seniority from a relative position.

I was going to retire in the top 20% of CAPTAINS at AAI (top 10% of the total list), and that's assuming flat fleet, never buying another airplane except to replace what we have retiring. At SWA I won't even break the 50% mark of the CA ranks before I retire, assuming a modest 2% yearly growth.

My loss is about average for our senior and mid-level F/O's. Our pilot group isn't THAT much younger than yours. Our CA's are, due to a bunch of them getting hired young in the 1999-2001 era. But our F/O's are about the same age bracket as yours, give or take 1.5 years of age either way.

Your neutral list position in retirement came at our expense, plain and simple. "Fair" for one group and "blatantly unfair" to another group isn't a "fair" OVERALL deal. That's what I think gets missed in all this talk of a "fair" integration.

Again, it is what it is, and I won't be surprised to see at least 15-20% of our F/O's bail for Delta if they can get hired in the next 3 years of hiring. Probably some to CAL and FDX, too. The rest of us who are too old to make that kind of a jump to make the $$$ math work are just stuck with it and will make the best of the situation.

Is it great to work for a company with such stability in a shaky industry? Sure. But I'd have upgraded here by the time I transition to SWA, so I'm going to make the same thing at roughly the same bidding position (reserve somewhere) as an F/O at SWA as I would have as a CA at AAI. I get no additional money for the most part until I upgrade in 14-15 years but then never get into the top of the list to get a great QoL to go with that upgrade.

It's a trade-off, by and large, for a lot of our pilots. Not bitter, just realistic. I'll make the best of it, as will everyone else, and won't blame anyone that I'll fly with... unless I run across Steve Chase and a few other negotiating people who pushed certain agendas during negotiations. Then I'll simply bid/drop/trade around them. ;)

That was TiC for those who missed it. :D

OldManPilot, I think what they were looking at...just a guess...is who was losing more relative seniority maybe?? From what I know, the senior Airtran pilots took a much greater relative seniority hit than the junior guys. Most captains lost 30-35% relative. Many of the stapled junior guys I've talked with lost much less than that, percentage wise. Most 10-15%. So even though the some junior guys have been here 5 years...they haven't seen much seniority increase on the Airtran side.

I think we've all got scars from the new list. I went down 32% relative from where I was....it will take me minimum 8 years to "re-upgrade" again, and I have been a captain here almost 6 years on the 737. Not saying what ALPA did was right, just giving you another angle.

The General has a right to say what ever he wants to say on this forum as long as he stays within the rules. Everyone who responds to his "opinions" is equally as responsible to encourage his continued "opinions". It is obviously apparent that he has some kind of issue with SWA and/or AT pilots. Giving him any attention to his "opinions" empowers him to continue with him sharing his "opinions". And he has that right as we all do. If you don't like what he has to say, don't respond! He knows how to touch a nerve and most all of us are staunchly loyal to our companies and feel the need to defend them. Loyalty is one common trait with many pilots I am proud to be a part. I have observed that if you don't respond to his "opinions", he leaves it alone. So those who get into a back and forth with General Lee are equally as guilty of this interesting process. Just leave it alone.

In my time on this, or any other anonymous forum for that matter, I found not one thing would or will change if these forums didn't exist. It basically exists for those that feel the need to be heard without fear of being known. Very few of these posts would be said looking into the eyes of those involved.

After seven airlines I found my family at SWA. I wish the SWA/AT integration could have made everyone happy but that was impossible. I don't know if it could have been any better but I know it could have been much worse. One company bought another company and that complicated the integration process immensely. It is far from a USair/AWA situation but that could have been a possibility because of the differences in longevity. I have no doubt that if the NWA/DAL merger had those same longevity issues their integration would have been littered with disenchanted pilots. General Lee would would be singing a different tune.

Latest resources

Back