• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Apps require type, 1 Nov start date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is amazing. You mean SWA doesn't require a four year degree?? No wonder they get so many apps that they have to require a 737 type. Is this really true??

If you look close none of the majors REQUIRE a 4 year degree they all just RECOMMEND having a four year degree. I have met pilots from AA, UAL, SWA, JetBlue, US Airways and Continental all without 4 year degrees.

Personally I think they should all require it. (I bet that gets some replies)

Perhaps a test to determine if you’re a fawking tool would be more appropriate

xXpress1 - No, I don't think ATA requires a four year degree. And I don't even know the percentage of those at ATA who have it although in today's market I doubt there are many airlines hiring people who do not have one. I guess I just got roped in by SWA Guy's post about most majors requiring one. It's true that most actually do NOT require a degree but prefer it. Obviously, I really don't think a college degree in Political Science, for instance, means that you are a better pilot than someone without a degree. My guess is that the majors look at this thinking that maybe you are more likely to do well in their training program, at least the book part of it, if you have been through four years of college. Probably also why they like to hire people that have had prior Part 121 training or military training which is very similar. Just a guess, and I'm not sure if I buy it, but I guess they have figures to back it up.

Never applied at any of them, but JB seems more attractive. Better looking planes, uniforms and most important cheaper to get in.....................I did think that Southwest was finally becoming a real proffesional airline, but their going back to PFT. Back to the 60's!!( SW, move forward not backwards).

Hmmmmm

Last I recall, when I went to training at SWA, they paid ME.

Did your airline pay for your training up to ATP? Cuz, last time I checked - most airlines require that too.

Thank God I was smart enough to invest in that type rating.

You're right though, better looking planes and uniforms are probably the best measure of a great airline. Not market cap, or stock performance or continued growth and steady profitability for 30 years.

JB and SW are both great airlines, but IMHO - I'd go with the proven track record.

Way more experience than flying your little metroliner, but that's not the point. Anyways, both of you, get a life and stop trying to justify Southwest's cost cutting tactics. Southwest is a customer first airline, pilot's get this:

*Underpaid ( unless you work that overtime )
*4-8 landings a day (sometimes even 9)
*15-20 min turns
*Minus $7,000 (yes, in addition to all we had to spend already)

*Too many 4 day trips

These things are just unheard off at the airline I work for and this being a "third world country".

Radiofly er

Imagine that. A business where the customer comes first. What a concept. An airline that people like, making money, and NO pilots out of a job. Man, you're right. That sucks!

So I guess you CAN log Microsoft time egh?

Man, I'm glad I logged on tonight. Like I said once before....It's better than "Hannity and Colmes."

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back