SWA Apps require type, 1 Nov start date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chase

This came off the Flight Ops bulletin board for Southwest Airilnes for Friday, 4 Oct.

Beginning November 1st we will only accept applications from pilots who have a B-737 Type Rating. This was our practice until 1999 when all of the airlines were in a large hiring phase. Obviously the market has changed and this will assist is in keeping the number of applications to a manageable level. All applicants who apply prior to November 1st without a B-737 Type Rating will be interviewed at some time in the future.

For those wishing to go to the Southwest.com website to check what it says there, here goes:

*Southwest Airlines requirement on the B-737 Type Rating: Although preferred, a candidate may apply without a B-737 Type Rating. If a candidate interviews and successfully completes the entire selection process they have 6 months from that date to successfully complete a B-737 Type Rating course and obtain a B-737 Type Rating to be eligible for hire.

At the bottom of the page the following caveat is listed:

Depending on applicant flow, these minimums may be changed at anytime.

Is there a conflict, yes. Do I expect it to be fixed shortly? Yes. Please give them time to get everything aligned.
This announcement will obviously generate a lot of phone calls to the PD by some of you. I would simply ask you to refrain from doing so if possible. I would expect them to update the southwest.com website shortly & would wait for them to do that before one panics with phone calls.

If you haven't gotten a type by now the deadline is obviously approaching. It is real simple, get your application in NOW or before 1 NOV or plan on getting a type after 1 Nov. I will call them on Monday to confirm this but since it has come through the Flight Ops hotline I expect this to be accurate info.

Also, be aware that those with types (when they start interviewing again) will be called for interviews before those w/o types. I don't have a good number on how many apps they do have.

This was the standard required when I applied. When I get further word I will post the info.

Updated SWA website

This posted on the Southwest.com site with updated requirements as of 7 Oct 02.

Southwest Airlines Flight Operations Department
Information for Prospective Pilots

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you’re a highly motivated, people oriented, outgoing, energetic individual who wants to become part of a winning team – you’ve come to the right place!

The following items must be included in each package:

Resume
Fully completed Southwest Airlines Supplemental Pilot Information form. (PDF file format)
Copy of Airman Certificate (U.S. FAA Airline Transport Pilot Certificate. U.S. Type.)
U.S. TypeRating on a B-737 required for interview effective 11/1/2002
Copy of current First Class Medical Certificate.
At least three (3) letters of recommendation. The letters need to be from any individuals who can attest to the pilot’s flying skills, by having observed them over a sustained period of time.
Completed Affirmative Action Survey. (PDF file format)
Please submit your information to:
Southwest Airlines
People Department
Attn: Pilot Recruitment
P O Box 36644
Dallas, TX 75235

SWA Apps require 737 Type Rating

According to Bobbie at Higher Power Aviation, this is correct.

I understand it might be a factor of SWA not liking to pay for 737 ratings, only to have pilots leave 6-12 months later. Good business sense for them, tough on the applicants

I understand it might be a factor of SWA not liking to pay for 737 ratings, only to have pilots leave 6-12 months later.

I never thought of SW as a stepping stone or heard of anyone jumping ship. Were people leaving SW for the other majors?

At one point there was at times a small percentage of folks leaving for the "majors".Most of those folks are now wishing they had made a different choice..There was never a mad rush to leave for any reason 6-12 months later..

The market is tighter than ever and with SWA being almost the only game in town that small number is even smaller than ever if any at all..

The process will become more competitive the longer the market for hiring is flat...

Thoth

SWA has never paid for type ratings as far as I know. Up until around 2 years ago a type was required just for the interview and after they changed that policy if a person interviewed without the type and was hired, they had to get a type on their own prior to starting class at SWA. So, whatever the reason, it isn't that "SWA not liking to pay for 737 ratings" since they don't and haven't in the past. I suspect this is more of a way to cut down on the number of applicants.

When SWA had the policy that one could apply without the type, the rule was a fairly strict first in - first out, meaning that (as long as they met the minimum requirements) applicants got called to interview in the order that their app was received, with typed applicants going to the front of the line. Two years ago, there were few enough typed applicants that if you applied with the type, you interviewed within a month or two, and everybody else got called within 6-12 months (roughly). Now, however, there are so many typed applicants waiting for interviews (along with 360 or so guys in the pool) that the guys in the non-typed queue have a wait of probably 2-3 years at a minimum before they get a call. Clearly, no point in calling anybody to interview until there's some end in sight for the current poolies.

Easy answer for SWA: stop accepting apps that are going to sit uncalled for many, many years.

Not only does it save the People Department a lot of paperwork, it's also a more honest assessment of an applicant's chances of getting called. If you don't have the type, let's just give you an up front "no" rather than giving you (almost) false hope that you're in the queue to be interviewed (albeit several years from now). This also makes it perfectly clear to prospective applicants what the effect of having the type rating is, instead of giving a false sense of hope to somebody who applied without it that he's about to get called to interview "just as soon as SWA starts hiring again."

Snoopy

It is my understanding that having new-hires already typed in equipment allows an accelerated syllabus in training. I may have heard this incorrectly, but it makes sense to me nonetheless.

I'm just guessing here. I don't work for Southwest, and don't know their curriculum. (Hopefully I'll interview soon and find out firsthand!)

Cheers!

The you may be right about the accelerated program.

However, as I understand it, having applicants to have the rating first does two things. One, it's a discrimator. That is, it helps to prove to the company that applicants are in for the long haul and not just to build hours. And two, that's less training the company has to do, saving SWA $$. It makes good business sense, but sucks for the applicants.

Duh

How long is it going to take for the other airlines to figure this out?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back