• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Apps require type, 1 Nov start date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes, we did agree along with the union that a percentage of our paycheck was going to aid. Depending on your months earnings it varies. Lately it has been around $17.00 a month of my paycheck. But hey anything to help our companions I don't mine.
If you read my thread carefully i never bragged about the company, just some insight, second of all I'm sure your American airlines friend never thought that one of their planes was going to go slamming into a building full of terrorists. It's a good thing it wasn't, but Im sure that if it had been a SW airlines plane we would'nt be having this conversation. The fact is that they went after airlines that symbolized what america is about, they problably never heard of SW and if they did they knew it wouldnt make as much impact as American or United. Now let's not kid ourselves if 9/11 had not happened no one would be furloughed, These military guys(with all due respect) would be asking DIRECT, first to: United, because it had the best contract, Second Delta, wich was matching United and third American, then your guess is as good as mine. Before 9/11 I managed to jumpseat in SW, rode in the cockpit, third year F.O. showed me his paycheck then went on to tell me how he went about on updating his application at United. So, in conclusion, yes Southwest is a good airline it is just a misfurtune that such a crisis had to arise for it to be the best right now.

Last edited:
Not completely true

Now let's not kid ourselves if 9/11 had not happened no one would be furloughed, These military guys(with all due respect) would be asking DIRECT, first to: United, because it had the best contract, Second Delta, wich was matching United and third American, then your guess is as good as mine.

Not true, my friend. I'm one of those military guys who decided last June/July that SWA was the place for me. Note that I decided that in the face of "industry leading" contracts all over the place. I just realized money wasn't the only thing. I'll sacrifice a few dollars (maybe even a lot of dollars) to enjoy work and hear positive things about my company every time I pick up a paper, turn on the news, etc.

In retrospect, I'm fortunate. My decision allowed me to go, as you say, pay for my accursed PFT (type rating) and join the pool before they closed it to all newcomers (for the time being.)

Just a reality check...

Indian Proverb

"Those who complain about the color of someone's mocassin probably has a hole in his" (jealousy maybe?)

Every airline, just as every human values things differently. There is no "best" airline. They all have different strengths and weaknesses.

I think it's good we can point out those differences, but at the expense of bashing each other? Gees guys.....

I think there are bigger things in this world right now to get all worked up about.

Take care you all.

Backtaxi

Go back to one of my threads "Southwest is a customer airline, this is what pilots get'" and read a couple more after that and then come back.

radioflyer said:
Now let's not kid ourselves if 9/11 had not happened no one would be furloughed, These military guys(with all due respect) would be asking DIRECT, first to: United, because it had the best contract, Second Delta, which was matching United and third American, then your guess is as good as mine.

Pardon me, but I don't see any respect in your comments to military pilots, so please don't use the "with all due respect" disclaimer. That in itself shows your lack of respect.

And, don't lump all military pilots into a pot of individuals that are looking for the best contract and $$. While that may be true of some military pilots (and some civilian ones), I hold heartedly take issue with your opinion. There are plenty of ex-military pilots who have chosen SWA over UAL, DAL, NWA, AA, FedEx, and UPS. I can name a ex-USAF pilot every year from 1997 through 2001 who picked SWA in the face of multiple offers from carriers.

I'm not at any carrier, and I'm getting out of the USAF in a few months with no offers from any carriers. If it was about money, why would anyone be getting out of the military right now if they could just take another three year assignment and make about $75K a year to do so. ($90K a year if you sign a three year bonus.) I'll be thankful to make half of that next year, but it's my choice.

It's not about the money. It's about life. The sad thing is so many people including too many pilots can't figure this out.

Like Adam Sandler said so creatively in "Happy Gilmer", "The price is wrong %^*$#!"

radioflyer said:
Go back to one of my threads "Southwest is a customer airline, this is what pilots get'" and read a couple more after that and then come back.

I've read your posts and discovered a common theme in all of them. Hopefully, one day you and your fellow "I Hate SWA" gang will get a clue, and quit bagging them about how much they are mistreating there poor pilots. Maybe one day the sky will be Carolina Blue in your little world. For those with a bigger picture, I hope they find their sky colored Canyon Blue.

SWA isn't bringing you down. You're doing it to yourself.

Yahtz

xXpress1 said:
/

Youre the one kidding yourself. 9/11 was nothing but a scapegoat for the management of airlines that had been hemoraging money like a civ for over a year prior. The three airlines you mentioned had been operating deep in the red for over a year befor 9/11. Delta and United had suspended hiring indefinitely months before 9/11. Profits would have most certainly continued the down trend that they were in even if 9/11 had not happened and layoffs would have likely followed. 9/11 was a tragedy like no other, but the aviation industry like most carriers know it was falling fast on its own.

Yeah, maybe you're right , but i guess well never know. That theory is just one in many. Im sure Delta and United suspending hiring upset many pilots, including current SW pilots as well as pilots currently on their pool, at that time. That's more in the line as to what we were writting about.

And I don't hate SW, yes it's the best airline right now I'm just simply dictating opinions and facts as to what one hears, reads and talks to others. In other words it's not that big of a deal, but some aviation g@#ks thrive, live and I don't know what else they would do if Shamu were not on it's period. It's just funny......................the obssesion with "you're now free to move about the country", the "LUV" thing, etc..................................................................Anyhow, whatever works. Right?
And yes I didn't mean to generalize, perhaps my wording should have been: EVERYBODY would be asking for DIRECT to:

Last edited:
radio-whatever,
How does a gringo get a job in the land of thousands of unemployed beaners, or are you a Mexican-American?

Radio Flyer every time you open your trap you sound foolish. Maybe you should keep your unsubstantiated opinions to yourself. You must be young, 'cause only the young are fool enough to think they know everything. The only one more foolish than yourself are the people (like me) who keep bothering to reply to your foolishness.

The unfortunate rap we have to bear at SWA. Everybody hates a winner. They hate the Yankees, they hate the Red Wings, they hate the Miami Hurricanes and they hate the Lakers. Everybody wants to see them lose, why? Because they kick the crap out of "their" favorite team, and year after year they feel humiliated by the fact that they can't root for a winner. It is just the way some people are in life and they can't live with the fact that other people are happy. That is why you will find that all SWA pilots, and poolies, will defend their great airline to the end, but do not START threads blasting another.

Too Hard.

falcon1 said:
radio-whatever,
How does a gringo get a job in the land of thousands of unemployed beaners, or are you a Mexican-American?

Well, you can't, and this will problably be my last thread on the topic being how I have struck several nerves, and the fact that the racist side of some of you is coming out. In addition, I believe the ones unemployed in the aviation industry are you guys, not to mention the thousands of lazy people living on food stamps and walefare, but that's another story. Also, to get in here you would actually have to do some work, I know i'ts not SW method, but theoretical, phsycological, and simulators exams are a must in all of the airlines here. So even though you joke about it, you would not make it here. Besides that you got to get into a union that has a history of disputing to the company all of the pilot's needs, that's problably not for you. If you know anything about aviation here you will find out that these "beaners"(that's funny) demand safety, excellent service and a hot meal ( first class gets a menu with caviar included). See we still consider aviation to be "romantic" and the captain actually has authority and the respect he deserves by everyone, and that makes it even more gratifying. Excellent crews, never been on strike and never had a pilot furloughed. Once again, I don't hate SW, just that theres a couple of things that need to be improved, that's all. Luck to all, and hope you all get back to flying and a strong economy.

Someone asked
Not Mexican-american all 100% Mexican

Latest resources

Back