• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA Apps require type, 1 Nov start date

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dude, I have to get back to the Steelers game. But I can't stop laughing at your postings, you are quite a character, specially how you use the word moron..............That's got to be your favorite word. Anyways, I fly an A-320 at Mexicana a great company, with a great UNION . I was captain at commuter like yours for 4 years. No need for southwest or JB. All of my opinions are based mostly on what I hear about the two companies. Southwest is a great numbers airline with no competition at this time , problably the reason why everybody wants to go to Southwest NOW.
Now if people with your attitude are in SW at this time, than SW is not hiring what they so often preach on hiring. See ya!

Oh, I forgot! All the great jobs with the best unions are in Mexico.

So what are the requirements and pay?

I want to send my resume as soon as i'm done sending them to all the great jobs in Africa.

Race pilot, 4 things?

1. i have never heard of a Lt. Col who had the option to stay in after being bypassed.

2. you forgot space shuttle driver on you unwanted life history.

3. People who are on this board work for JB. So don't act like a jacka$$.

4. What the hell is Roush Air?

Radiofly er,

This place sucks (SWA) your right

Radiofly er,

This place sucks (SWA) your right. Can you get me on with Mexicana? They (SWA) just made me fly for three days straight! I even had two landings yesterday (well actually one was mine). I thought that was too much work for my under paid job.

I hate the fact that they are going to give me a profit sharing check. That sucks, but the worst thing is all these stock options that they are sticking me with. Oh, the 18 days I have off this month suck too. They expect me to upgrade in another 3 years - I want industry standard! I want to wait my 10-15 years!!!!

Sounds like you had a very good day, nevertheless, there are many airlines that offer their pilots if not better benefits, similar benefits around the world. The reason I answer to SW is because I have some friends there and I've heard stories and too much bragging about it by others. Now, one reading this, will naturally compare this to his or her company. I am not stating that we have the only union just the fact that many of the things SW allows its's pilots our union does'nt. We do not have more than 12 hr duty days, no 4th,5th,6th landing withouth getting paid $36.00 for every landing after the 4th. Per Deim is tax free and given in cash before each flight. $12.00 breakfast $23.00 lunch $32.00 dinner ( add that up to your salary and get average $4,200.00 mo first year, take home) No plane switching with a time span greater than an hour and a half. No sitting in reserve your first, second year. First year start on a 8 day "on" 7 "off" system. During those eight, usually fly 5-6. First year 30 day paid vacation, 45 days after your 3rd year. Get company incentives every December of every year, last year got $8,327.00, so in Dec you make average $12,000.00(salary+co.incentive). (Guys averge on retirement around a mil plus what they have saved). This year I was getting 17 days off a month. Theres a couple of more .................anyways someone asked. Our lifestyle is just like many................finish a flight, commute to Cancun, get on my Audi TT and go see my kids. Nuff said guys.

"Flying is all tha same at FL370, if you can get up there."

New Guy Thoughts,

Just read about this site in PPRUNE and thought I might check it out. I am sad to see that there are so many pilots talking bad about any aviation job.

I have been in the airline business for a while and am glad just to be working. Over the past few decades I realized there is an airline to fit most every personality. To consider one over the other is a matter of personal choice.

Southwest is a great airline and it is difficult to argue with success. One reason for their requirement for a type rating is a reduction in insurance by their carrier. Two qualified captains aboard the aircraft results in a reduction in their premium. To pass the expense onto potential prospective employees makes good management sense.

Jet Blue is a great Airline and I am confident will be very successful in the future. They are paying for their aircraft and worked the normal deal with Airbus with regards to maintenance and training. Selecting the Airbus for an upcoming Airline was a great move on management’s part.

To say one Airline is superior to another, especially for those not working at either one, is not a wise practice. I had the opportunity to jump off-line with Alaska Airlines yesterday. After introducing myself to the Captain, he responded that he was more than glad to offer a fellow pilot a ride. Before I could thank him, he thanked me, and my Airline for “saving his butt a number of times” and wished me luck.

Management might be involved in competition but I, and a number of pilots from a variety of Airlines, are not. We are glad for each other’s success and most cockpit discussions center around the poor souls furloughed out there, and the hope that all are working soon.

If a pilot is willing to pay for a type rating to get the job he or she wants and it works to the Airline and their mutual benefit…..great. If an upcoming Airline requires a certain amount of experience because of short upgrade time, what’s wrong with that?

If you have a chance, you might consider reading Monday’s Wall Street Journal. There are a number of articles reflecting the attitude towards current paradigms in the aviation community with respect to pay and benefits. I don’t think anyone can honestly predict what “industry average pay and benefits” will be in the next five years. Something to think about. Some us are old enough to remember the Eastern / Pan Am when everyone was comparing themselves to these two giants. Interesting how short memories can be.

RADIOFLY ER

WOW, you ARE a lucky guy! You DO have a great union. New airplanes, great hours, almost too good to believe in todays economy. The US economy that is.

I was just wondering, how big is your company? How long have they been in business? Any profit info available? What is bottled water going for?

I wish you continued success at your current employer.

I;ll take my chances up here in the good old USA. You can even drink the water................right out of the tap!

That water thing shows just how ignorant you are, but if thats going to be your question Ill answer it it's going for about 50 cents (12oz bottle). About a dollar cheaper than any 7 eleven, but, then again almost any commodity is at a lower price. Which makes that paycheck last even a bit longer and this is Cancun.
Anyways guy, mexicana has been around for about 25 years, it has a fleet of F100's B727's A-320's and 757's which I'm looking forward to flying in a year. One final thing there are 120 pilots that belong to our union, not from Mexicana but two other National airlines that are on furlough. These pilots have been out for 9 months allready. The only difference is that these pilots are getting paid by the union $2,200 a month, until they come back, they have kept all benefits from their airlines which unclude seniority,medical, and travel benefits(except pay).
No comparison, but a little insight on pilots around the world.

Last edited:
Sounds like the needs of the few...

That is a great deal to get paid to not work. How on Earth do they swing that?

Either the company is mortgaging (sp?) its future or it is being proped up by the govt their.

I have a friend who used to brag to me about all the ways his union at American paid him not to work. Unfortunately all it got him was furloughed and back in the military. Nothing in life is free. Someone is bearing the cost of those furloughees.

Personnally I wish you and your company well. I also hope they all get back to flying too. But I don't see how those kind of work rules will work to everyones benefit.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back