• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You need to listen to the SWA earning call from yesterday and see what Gary Kelly had to say. He answered a question about AirTran and said he knows much more about AirTran costs and options today than he did on September 27th and he said that "where they were with their labor deals wasn't sustainable."

You need to go back and read the transcripts. This statement had nothing to do with if AirTran could continue to make money or pay for their labor it had everything to do with the lower pay the pilots had on their last contract which made costs look drastically lower than SWA.

Last edited:
Ihe said that "where they were with their labor deals wasn't sustainable."

I afraid you badly misinterpreted his remark.

You do realize that he was talking about the open contracts on two major employee groups ? One of which had been open for over 5 years, had a strike vote and the NMB was considering for release.

That was not sustainable. That was "where they were with their labor deals".

To put it simply, FL's CASM was not sustaintable when paying pilots closer to WN payrates. CASM would increase closer to WN's.

Gary Kelly was alluding to the fact that AirTran's labor costs were not going to stay at the low level they were. Basically their lower labor costs were unsustainable because of the pending negotiations going on with the pilots and FAs on September 26th.

The likely hood of an arbitrator ruling on an SLI less than DOH is extremely unlikely. I understand that many SW pilots feel that DOH would be a huge gain for an Airtran pilot. That is not the reality of fair and history of arbitrated SLI's show that less than DOH is not a possibility. If DOH was awarded the SW pilots would experience a significant bump on the combined list and Airtran pilots would take up to a 25% hit on the list. DOH should be the SW pilots hope....Find me an arbitrator whom gave an airline (non-bankrupt) less than DOH. You wont find it and it very most likely will not happen.

Last edited:
The likely hood of an arbitrator ruling on an SLI less than DOH is extremely unlikely. I understand that many SW pilots feel that DOH would be a huge gain for an Airtran pilot. That is not the reality of fair and history of arbitrated SLI's show that less than DOH is not a possibility. If DOH was awarded the SW pilots would experience a significant bump on the combined list and Airtran pilots would take up to a 25% hit on the list. DOH should be the SW pilots hope....Find me an arbitrator whom gave an airline (non-bankrupt) less than DOH. You wont find it and it very most likely will not happen.

Is that because it is illegal like a staple? Did you ever find the part that said a staple was illegal according to MB? I would like to read that part.

Is that because it is illegal like a staple? Did you ever find the part that said a staple was illegal according to MB? I would like to read that part.

Cometman-

Do you really need this piece of information? Illegal or not IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If you are hoping and praying for a staple you should "have a come to jesus meeting" and come to peace with yourself that a staple will not happen. I am not saying what will (bc I do not have a crystal ball) but history would show that a staple is not likely.

Good luck to you and that meeting.

Cometman-

Do you really need this piece of information? Illegal or not IT IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. If you are hoping and praying for a staple you should "have a come to jesus meeting" and come to peace with yourself that a staple will not happen. I am not saying what will (bc I do not have a crystal ball) but history would show that a staple is not likely.

Good luck to you and that meeting.

I am not a SWA pilot. He wrote that it was illegal and I just want to read it. Don't get upset. I don't believe in Jesus.

I am not a SWA pilot. He wrote that it was illegal and I just want to read it. Don't get upset. I don't believe in Jesus.

Look at that we have 2 things in common. I am sure you know their is not a document to read. Which could be a bad thing since 1 day either of our airlines could be acquired and we could be sitting in the trannies spot. I hope this SLI will be fair--it could set a precedents (that you might be thankful for 1 day) for the next group of guys.

Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back