SWA/Airtran Process Agreement??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FYI,

Our current CBA does protect CPs from being displaced from a base by more senior pilots (CPs) unless there is a vacancy bid. For instance if the vacancy bid for a future SWA ATL base is 0 on the CP side, a more senior CP cannot bump a more junior ATL based CP.

To over simplify my opinion is there are four possibilities an arbitrator could rule.......1. Staple (never has happened/not legal),

I missed something when I read the rule. Where did it say it is illegal? If the arbitrator thinks it would be fair is he prevented from stapling because it is against the law?

To over simplify my opinion is there are four possibilities an arbitrator could rule.......1. Staple (never has happened/not legal),

I missed something when I read the rule. Where did it say it is illegal? If the arbitrator thinks it would be fair is he prevented from stapling because it is against the law?

Bond/McKaskil bill doesn't allow a staple job I think.(or the extent of what AA (APA) did to TWA)

OYS

Last edited:
OYS,

I agree there is no way of predicting what an arbitrator will do...with that said a negotiated settlement would be a MUCH more desirable outcome for both parties and the ultimate combined group. It is also what management wants to happen. I suppose the logic is that a negotiated solution will help preserve the SWA culture whereas an arbitrated result will be more contentious if one party is viewed as getting a "better" deal.

The flip side of our CBA is that we have and will continue to downgrade our own CPs based on the manning requirements the company determines.

In other words the concept that a seat is protected does not even apply to the current SWA seniority list.

Our NC and SWAPA organization does not fear arbitration. Many pilots I have talked to on the line feel that arbitration would probably result in a better outcome for the current SWA pilots.

I assume that discussions with management and study of recent arbitration awards (notably the differences in the companies involved) has given our NC confidence. We also have an agreement (SL8) with the company that reopens negotiations if SWAPA/SWA view any award as unacceptable.

Bond/McKaskil bill doesn't allow a staple job I think.

Nothing in B/M keeps a stapler away. Any solution is fair game so long as it is fair and equitable.

Nothing in B/M keeps a stapler away. Any solution is fair game so long as it is fair and equitable.

How about it is tougher to just staple? Fair and equitable is different if SWA was acquiring a BK carrier or one that had a different business plan. Instead, AT is a profitable LCC that flies more INTL routes, with the same type of planes. AT's main hub, slots at DCA and more at LGA, make it a valuable pick up for SWA, which any arbitrator would pick up on. So Bill, don't get too excited about any possibility of something similar to a staple.

OYS

Our NC and SWAPA organization does not fear arbitration. Many pilots I have talked to on the line feel that arbitration would probably result in a better outcome for the current SWA pilots.

I ran into a SWAPA guy yesterday afternoon in the lounge. He was very pleased at the Bob Jordan announcement.

I'm slow so it took me a few minutes and a lot of explaining before I understood what he was talking about. If this goes to arbitration, which SWA does not want, there will be 4 parties allowed in the Arbitration. SWA. AirTran (with our very own Bob Jordan running the show), SWAPA and ALPA.

Basically 3 parties representing 40,000 employees are on one side and ALPA representing 1500 on the other. SWAPA says the company is fully behind its pilots and that AirTran will be behind SWAPA too because they know ALPA will be off the property soon enough.

He was very excited about the new found confidence in a negotiated deal. He didn't figure even ALPA would be dumb enough to go to arbitration armed with only a spoon and face SWA, SWAPA, and AirTran while they are all holding Nukes.

I slept good last night.

Last edited:
Honestly, I really think that OYS is doing more damage to the Airtran pilots with his Dumbass comments than he is helping. It is going to be really fun kicking OYS's ass out of ATL when we are one airline. Here to seeing my Airtran brothers online!

I ran into a SWAPA guy yesterday afternoon in the lounge. He was very pleased at the Bob Jordan announcement.

I'm slow so it took me a few minutes and a lot of explaining before I understood what he was talking about. If this goes to arbitration, which SWA does not want, their will be 4 parties allowed in the Arbitration. SWA. AirTran (with our very own Bob Jordan), SWAPA and ALPA.

Basically 3 parties representing 40,000 employees are on one side and ALPA representing 1500 on the other. SWAPA says the company is fully behind its pilots and that AirTran will be behind SWAPA too because they know ALPA will be off the property soon enough.

He was very excited about the new found confidence in a negotiated deal. He didn't figure even ALPA would be dumb enough to go to arbitration with a
spoon and face SWA, SWAPA, and AirTran while they are holding Nukes.

I slept good last night.

In arbitration, SWA, SWAPA, and AirTran are at the mercy of the judges. They are paid to be fair and neutral, with no intimidation. If they want a fair deal, ALPA will go for arbitration, which most AT pilots will want if your SWAPA deal isn't completely fair.

OYS

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back