• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI SLI agreement in principle.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I fly on Air Tran every week. They have always treated me great and I think they do a great job on the ground and in the air.

As a SWA pilot I don't think their acquisition brings much to the plate for us other than some increase on the SLI and another base (Atl). There are some of us that want to look at Atlanta but a 10 fence is too long. I guess it will all depend on the language. I have a good friend that is a junior 737 Capt.... he said me might just be happy to fly as a FO if it means he can have weekends, holidays and more pay. So, I would not be surprised if there are some Capts in ATL that would rather live close to home (if one of our bases is home) rather than commute, fly on weekends and holiday....we will see. I just don't want ATL fenced forever unless we get the same for our bases.

I don't think AT captains will be relegated to reserve positions all across the system for the following reason. All AT 737s will be in ATL which is fenced. The 717 is also fenced, even if the fence comes down, there will probably be no movement to force people out of seat or even lineholder status. Sure the 717 could be split 3 ways, ATL, MCO, and BWI. But after they are in place there will "probably" be very little shuffling.

I don't think AT captains will be relegated to reserve positions all across the system for the following reason. All AT 737s will be in ATL which is fenced.
I don't know where you're getting that idea.

There are only going to be 175 737 crews in Atlanta, that's only about half our 737 crews. The 737's once repainted will likely go all over the system, the crews along with them. Once on the SWA side of the fence (after training), those junior former-AAI crews will be competing for their monthly line alongside SWA crews in whatever base they find themselves in.

The 717 is also fenced, even if the fence comes down, there will probably be no movement to force people out of seat or even lineholder status. Sure the 717 could be split 3 ways, ATL, MCO, and BWI. But after they are in place there will "probably" be very little shuffling.
The 717 certainly won't be as much of an issue as the 737. The crews, being locked in the aircraft, no matter where they go, will still bid against each other in their own relative seniority as they are now. Some mid-level crews might find themselves junior in other bases if few people senior to them bid over as the aircraft are re-tasked to other bases, but the junior people will still be junior.

The 737 is a different ball of wax entirely.

Last edited:
Only 175 737 crews, 350 total pilots remain in ATL after the dust settles.

250 717 crews, 500 total pilots.

850 total AAI pilots remain in the A-T-L. The other 900 pilots get displaced (or voluntarily bid) somewhere else, wherever their seniority can hold.

Only 175 737 crews, 350 total pilots remain in ATL after the dust settles.

250 717 crews, 500 total pilots.

850 total AAI pilots remain in the A-T-L. The other 900 pilots get displaced (or voluntarily bid) somewhere else, wherever their seniority can hold.

I agree with the above as stated but I'm wondering if that is only considering current state or if it figures in any growth. I would hope that we could grow to increase those requirements. Also, what about having a SW base side by side in ATL? Thoughts.

Why not? Keeps most of the trash in the dumpster, right?

Nice post. This is exactly what I was talking about. I think there is a fair number of "Lovely Folks" on each side that will make this a real chore for the rest of us. What a darn shame. Both groups should check their egos at the door and get the job done fairly. I was really excited about all this until recently. All you negative folks really make it hard to look forward to this.

Anyone have the number to that truck driving school?

Also isn't the 850 number a minimum? It could be more as we work through this merger. If I heard correctly, SWA planning models would call for less than 850 - this is a negotiated minimum number to offer some protection to AAI crews for the expected drop in senority.
The numbers needed in ATL could change to a higher number.

Latest resources

Back