• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA/AAI SLI agreement in principle.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Could you explain how and why this happens ? Me no habla. A full description of life at the bottom is also welcomed.

Cheers

A Tuesday-Thursday reserve block in September, for example, might go more senior. People don't generally call in sick much during the week, so chances are you won't get used. Then you can scoop up extra flying on the weekend, or just enjoy your time off. Weekend reserve will always go to the bottom most guys.

First of all, there are ALWAYS open time trips at SWA....a LOT less in Feb than July, but still there are open time trips. Lots of guys bid reserve and pickup from open time on their off days. This limits what the company can give you on reserve due to legality. Thus, after you've picked up on your off days....when a trip pops in open time, no one picks it up, and it eventually goes to a reserve, they have to give it to the next guy on reserve since you are not legal. This only works if you are willing to be on call 2 hours from checkin, but it is a strategy for many here. Usually it is the group that wants steady months of 130-140 trips for pay per month. The other strategy is when guys go balls to the wall all the time and try to hit 200 every month...these are the "tournament level" players and they have no problem "risking" their monthly income by dumping everything they have and then relying on the system to produce high paying, low blocking trips...they are constantly on the computer trying to get rid of stuff and move stuff around and bid and rebid, etc. I am neither so I am not talking from vast experience, although I have had my months of each strategy.

Air Trannies have NO CLUE how much money they're gonna make. It's amazing, you can tell them all you want, and they still don't get it.

If this has been answered already I apologize for asking. How long do people spend on reserve? Most grateful if you happen to have hire dates.

I live and own a place in Atlanta. And own a sailboat in the carribean. I hold all weekends and holidays off. I credited 119 hours this month. My girlfriend is a doctor who has a practice in Atlanta.
Now after 5 years here I won't be able to hold Atlanta - even on reserve. So now i will get laid less and sail less, and will now have to commute to sit reserve all for some higher hourly pay.. Sorry I'm not jumping for joy. I'd gladly trade the raise for my seniority back.

Serious question, along the lines of what you just posted.

I bid #7 in MCO. I hold weekends off and all holidays. I get my choice of long overnights at an international destination or west coast city, get my choice of vacation, and my choice of sim times, etc.

With the seniority loss after this, I lose my base, I'll be bidding in the BOTTOM 14% of the COMBINED seniority list and in the bottom 23% of ATL's 737 F/O list, and I'm not sure how your work rules will give me that Quality of Life back (weekends and holidays off consistently every month to spend with my family).

According to the retirement schedule at SWA and AAI combined I get my current system seniority back when my son turns 18... that's 13 years from now. I'll be 53. I'll upgrade 2-3 years after that, and will get off reserve 3-4 years after that. In other words, I'll be about 60 when I'm a line-holding CA with 5 years left to climb any higher on the list.

So where, as an F/O in percentage of a list in any given domicile, can I hold weekends and holidays off again to get my current Quality of Life back based on what you were saying about Southwest's work rules? Can I really hold that quality of life at 86% of the way down the list, just 6% above the reserve level? Then how senior do you have to be as a CA to hold that same QoL? Do I even have time left in my career for that to happen just upgrading when I'm 55-56?

Thanks for the answers, this kind of stuff is what every senior AAI F/O wants and needs to know.

Lear,
Welcome to your CAPT upgrade. Your quality of life would go to crap if you upgraded at AT right now....so with your new "capt pay" at SWA take your seniority hit and then get another capt upgrade when you move to the left seat here. I see this as you getting 2 upgrades...I only get one!

P.S still looking forward to the interline and have a swa pilot and Fa on my boat. Looking forward to meeting up with rest of the swa/at boats going.

I credited 119 hours this month. My girlfriend is a doctor who has a practice in Atlanta. Now after 5 years here I won't be able to hold Atlanta - even on reserve. .

On the bright side. You will now receive unlimited prescriptions and pharmaceutical salves to sooth the recklesness of your early years ....

Hehe :D

I live and own a place in Atlanta. And own a sailboat in the carribean. I hold all weekends and holidays off. I credited 119 hours this month. My girlfriend is a doctor who has a practice in Atlanta.
Now after 5 years here I won't be able to hold Atlanta - even on reserve. So now i will get laid less and sail less, and will now have to commute to sit reserve all for some higher hourly pay.. Sorry I'm not jumping for joy. I'd gladly trade the raise for my seniority back.

Dude, don't you get it...you got BOUGHT! (roll eyes) Maybe you can charter out your sloop to native (real) SWA pilots that like to sail whilst sporting cowboy boots.

Latest resources

Back