• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

SWA-AAI Going Rogue

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Gen it's all good, this is not two government bail out carriers. Yes I understand your point about arbitration. We can't do anything about it, that's if it does go to arbitration. Yes, after the Acquisition is complete SWA will be carrying alot of AT debt. What people don't understand is the share holders of both sides see this as a opportunity to make a lot of cash. The Rioc will hit 25% which will create explosive growth to 2000-07 levels. What I would be worried about gen is your own turf in ATL, and MSP. Remember the little airline that could in Texas. Well our mgt still feels the need to grow and not be the little guy.

Worry about our turf? You mean like SLC? How much has SWA grown there lately? Not much. And ATL and MSP are restricted with the amount of growth available. AT has had about the same number of gates in ATL for the last 10 years, and even though SWA says it can allow an extra 4 flights a day per gate (from 6 to 10), there will be a lot of normal airport constraints. ATL isn't a place you can just do a classic SWA short approach or the cool MDW circle to land. Nope, it's more like a short approach is less than a 20 mile straight in final. If you get one of those, then it is considered a short approach. And in MSP you are located in the Hubert Humphrey LCC terminal on the South side of the field. Are there a lot more gates available there? Maybe if you buy Sun Country you can get more gates, but that merger would involve another SLI, and I am sure all of those guys have better DOH than 80% of the SWA pilots. You know what they would be WISHING for.......

So, don't expect too much out of your new ATL stuff or additional MSP movements, I don't think we will. Our CEO has already stated that he isn't particularly worried at all. AT giving up their business class product will help us out in ATL, giving us more lucrative corporate contracts anyway.

And, I like the civility of your post. I no doubt like to throw in a dig here and there, but overall I am just stating that this fighting on FI is UNNECESSARY about SLI stuff. There is nothing any of you can do about it. An arbitrator will review everything, and then decide, as a NEUTRAL. I know you guys think you have this and this, and AT doesn't bring this or that, but an Arbitrator will review the facts and then decide on what is MOST FAIR. That is what everyone should want anyway. Regardless, you will have a stronger company in the end, and not even close to "little airline that could" in Texas. I don't think anyone thinks that anymore. Have a good one.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Union says you can't discuss SLI! Moderator from AAI will shut down this thread in two minutes.

I'm going rogue!
I stopped moderating AAI/SWA threads several days ago. Didn't you get the memo?

The arbitrator(s) will make that decision. I hope everyone on this thread copies what is written, and sends it to the lawyers, since they will be arguing it with the neutrals.
I've mentioned a couple times that several of our Merger Committee members read these threads (and one has responded once or twice). Last week he got on the private message board and told people to STFU over here, that he was certainly copying things "alleged" SWA pilots were saying on here for use in SLI discussions and was certain that his counterparts on SWAPA's MC were doing the same.

Your choice whether to listen to him or not.

good attempt.. care to post your employee number.. at SWA.
AMFTeamster works at AirTran, hired pretty close to the same time I was and similar backgrounds.

As far as "explosive growth", I'm flying with our Scheduling Chair this trip and we were discussing staffing, whereby some people were thinking we were overstaffed compared to how SWA flies. Not so. We are dramatically understaffed considering how many BLOCK HOURS SWA operates on a per-airframe basis (which is how an airline figures out required staffing).

Take the block hours SWA flies their aircraft and apply it to ours, and you INSTANTLY have an increase of 13,600 block hours per month (A little over 2 extra hours per day per aircraft SWA flies their planes more than ours). Assuming an average 75 block hour month for a pilot, and that's an additional 180 or so pilots needed right off the bat.

Then you add in the rumors from SWA's training department saying they want to grow to 10,000 pilots by 2015 (4 years away) means 2,200 new-hires in the next 4 years, plus 200 retirements per year on average = 800 MORE pilots, for a grand total of almost 3,200 pilots in 4 years. A little under 800 per year, about the max Southwest can hire and train.

In other words, no matter how it shakes out, if growth is ANYTHING like planned, NO ONE is going to be in a bad position in a few years.

Looking forward to buying the first round, Happy New Year everyone... :)

AMF, you complain about your Union and then go around them and try to negotiate in public . . . Are you kidding me?

You are a ******************************bag of the highest magnitude. I doubt the SWA pilot group will appreciate your efforts anymore than we do. No one likes a groveling, bootlicker. During the next conflict, you'll be selling your fellow pilots out again, just to someone else.

Last edited:
You are a ******************************bag of the highest magnitude

I understand you are willing to fight for relative seniority because you have nothing to lose. If it doesn't work out you will just stay out on medical. Where does that leave me and the rest of the somewhat junior F/O's? All we want is a rewarding career and a happy place to spend the rest of our working lives. Why are you so bent on getting it your way be damned anyone else? You may not like my tact and approach but I speak for the majority and you obviously speak for you. Don't ruin this for me and my family. It isn't about just you.

Nice plan, 10,000 pilots.

Right up until oil hits $100 plus per barrel.

Sorry, my "realism machine" just restarted.

Is that called outing someone. So who do the rules apply to?
Don't ask me, I don't moderate SWA/AAI threads anymore by popular request.

You can report the post and when CLR or OWW gets around to it, they'll address it.

btw, most AAI peeps would probably take it as an inside joke. There's a recall for an F/O rep named Matt going on right now at AirTran and one of the basis of the recall is him allegedly consistently giving things away to management (distance training LOA, managing pilots expectations prior to the final meeting where a T.A. was reached, etc). Basically an accusation of "giving away the store" despite the wishes of the pilot group. I don't really think AMFTeamster is Matt... as far as I know, Matt never worked for Ameriflight.

I understand you are willing to fight for relative seniority because you have nothing to lose.

I'm going to be just fine, no matter what method is used; I am here looking out for my fellow AAI pilots by trying to keep things real around here, just the exact opposite of what you are doing. Nowhere do I say what I am personally willing to accept, I simply steer folks to past precedent.

Where does that leave me and the rest of the somewhat junior F/O's?
I don't know, you're the one circumventing your merger committee and your 1800 fellow pilots, why don't you tell us what you have accomplished here, except to make a name for yourself?

You may not like my tact and approach but I speak for the majority and you obviously speak for you. Don't ruin this for me and my family. It isn't about just you.
You don't speak for anyone except for your miserable, groveling, self-serving, boot-licking self. Your "family" would do much better if you'd have a nice warm cup of STFU. If you think you know me and have something to say further, PM me or send me a message through the union forum. Be a man and put your own name on it this time.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back