• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stupid questions asked at airshows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was doing the static display in the hangar deck of USS Independence in Kuala Lumpur (actually Port Kelang but close enough) when some woman came up and asked what this plane did. Having been through endless questions about the drop tanks (bombs) and the buddy store (bomb with a prop on it!) I thought I could handle anything. I told her that we looked for submarines and she got a really confused look on her face. Then suddenly the light came on and she said "Oh, you can fly underwater?" I was so shocked that I couldn't think of any better answer than "no." That was definitely the stupidest question I've ever been asked even if it wasn't technically at an airshow.

deleted

I hate to be this guy, but here goes. How many people have ever had to do a pullup in a cockpit or on a flight deck? I remember a squadron CC I had in Kadena who was always making fun of me for having sore knees, sore shoulders, sore elbows, etc. I looked great, sure, but his point was that the entire DO shop of the squadron had trouble passing the test but they were all great pilots and great leaders. They drank their fair share of beers, had their fare share of smokes and Whoppers, but it didn't affect their ability to fly and lead. I admire all of those who stay in shape and look good in a flight suit, but I admire those who stuck around and can fly, lead, and instruct more. If a guy is a fat as*, fine. If he's a fat as* who can fly and lead, then leave him alone and let him do his job. The only thing worse than a fitness freak is a fitness freak who forces his attitude on others. We're not the Army. Get over it.

Before you attack me, I benched 345 lbs at 175 lbs when I was younger. I can't do that anymore, and I'm not 175 lbs, but I feel qualified to be an ADO (which I'm not, but would be had I stayed AD) in a flying squadron and not take shi* from anyone who thinks just b/c they run a mile and a half in under 8 minutes they're better prepared to represent the AF or a combat squadron.
AAawww Shaddap Fatty!

I was a crewchief/rescue swimmer in the H-46, we were always asked if we could fly on one rotor.
Another was, "Which engine drives which rotor?"
Or,the best one, "Have you ever crashed?" (Hey, we were in a helo).
Our squadron drew SAR duty for the 1989 Airshow at NAS Norfolk, our name tags were: Peter Aiken, Richard Hertz, Richard Hed and Michael Hunt. We saw a few blushes, but most never noticed.
For those of you still in uniform, enjoy your time in the military, I have some great memories and met some great people.

[/quote]
And then out of nowhere at the South Padre Island airshow I'm talking to the nicest old guy who asks all sorts of good questions. He asks if he can sit in the left seat, and as we climb inside he tells me that getting into airplanes has gotten easier since he flew. I ask him when he flew and he casually mentions that he was the AC on aircraft #4 on the Doolittle Raid on Tokyo.

Holy Crap! A genuine Air Force legend is sitting in my cockpit telling me how neat all this new-fangled stuff is.

I'll put up with a lifetime of dumb questions to get one experience like that.[/quote]

Awesome. Makes me think of this painting...

airplanepictures_1987_46828933

Latest resources

Back