• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Stupid questions asked at airshows

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was with my mighty P-3 Orion at an airshow in Oklahoma in the mid-nineties and during that one airshow I got asked:

Which war did this one fight in? (umm, not WW2 it isn't a B24, although they did fly P-3s in Vietnam but I didn't know that at the time)

How did you get this plane here, tow it? (no, we flew it, really)

Can't the Navy afford paint? (umm, that's our tactical paint scheme, with the 'spot corrosion' look)

The best part was the day we left and a C-5, the left wing of which we were parked more or less under and 100 feet back or so, went to some seriously high power to get out of the ruts and practically cooked us in the cockpit, not to mention we were probably close to rotate with the relative wind. Tents and trash cans flying everywhere.

Standing static display with a KC-10, had someone ask if the two nosewheel steering struts pointing forward from the nosegear were guns.

Atlantic crossing in a KC-10 westbound, my engineer had out his 8.5x11.5 wal-mart geography map on his desk when a very cute blonde came up (sts) into the cockpit to check things out. Her first comment was to express surprise that we use maps to fly. As we were over Iceland at the time (and it was covered with snow) and Iceland was white on the map, we told her that is how we knew where we were. We were now busy looking out the windows for that pink landmass (the color of Canada on the map) so we would know when we were over Canada. When she started to express doubt in our theory because she had been to Canada and it wasn't all pink, we came up with the idea that it was actually the Canadian trees that made it pink - they look green from the ground - but something about the top of them reflect the sunlight pink. She bought it. That exchange in itself was funny. Even funnier was how the engineer was trying to pick her up with a very technical discussion about the electric and hydraulic panel and how he was solely responsible for the heart of the machine. In the end, it was the boom operator who got her - he took her to the AR compartment to show her the view from the picture window in the back of the jet - and showed back up in the front of the jet about a half-hour or so later a pretty happy dude. We considered ringing the claxon after 15 minutes, but we didn't.

Actually, it can be rather amusing to go to airshows and ask really stupid questions. Talk about cheap entertainment. I need to work on keeping a straight face, though.:laugh:

Standing in front of my E-2C Hawkeye, the guy looks up at the radar dome and asks "Is that a helicopter in-flight refueling pad?"

Oh, and that question has been asked many times since.......

So...you gonna let me see if those t1ts are real? Looking for a husband? I'M A HUSBAND....

Oh geez...you mean questions the public asks US...:blush: ..oh...never mind.

CatfishVT9 said:
Standing in front of my E-2C Hawkeye, the guy looks up at the radar dome and asks "Is that a helicopter in-flight refueling pad?"

Oh, and that question has been asked many times since.......

No kidding, I had someone tell me once they were standing duty (years back) and got a phone call. Some woman reporting a UFO stealing an airplane from the Navy base.

I used to get these a lot when I was flying the T-38 from Holloman (F-117 support). The black paint job used to throw everyone off.

What kind of jet is that?
It's a T-38.
Does the Air Force still fly those?
Uh, yeah, we still have a few hundred of them.
I thought maybe it was your private jet.
I wish...

Also, there was always some guy, always too smart for his own good, who would walk up, point to my airplane, and declare, with much importance,
"That's an F-5!"
Me: "Well, no, it's actually a T-38."
Him: "Are you sure, it looks just like an F-5?"
Me: "I flew it in here yesterday, but I guess you know better than I do"

Cheers

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back