Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is such an odd thread. I'm not at SWA but I am a 85% slam-click captain. I didn't realize I could be so missed. Actually, on most overnights I'm usually not holed up in my room. Mostly, I roam the cities alone. Flight crews these days are a drag. It's all chain restaurants, schedule talk, and gossip about the same group of disliked coworkers. Once in a blue moon I'll fly with an open minded FO and we rip it up. Otherwise, airline culture stopped being worth my time 10 years ago.

right on!

What he meant to say was airline culture stopped being low threat and turned into a PC high threat bet your job because of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. That and cell phone cameras.

If you can't keep yourself entertained on an overnight without having to spend the entire time with the crew, then you're the problem.

PCL - Every crew has an a-hole, if you aren't sure who, it's likely YOU!

PS. If you think everyone else is an ass, really its just you.

I believe this is a byproduct of zero-to-hero pilots. They have never had any fun in it. Ever. From the moment they were student pilots, it was strictly business. They achieved all of their ratings under the safety blanket of a 141 school and immediately went to their next "job."

No joyriding. No hundred dollar hamburgers. No enthusiam for the spectacle of aviation. To them the fomula is simple: Fly the plane. Go to hotel. Post about it on Facebook. Repeat.

It's sad really. There are great stories to be made in this industry.

I meant to say it earlier -This is a really good post.
(can be the type A mil types too who went to the "zoo", right into uber achievements...and on- but have definitely seen it firsthand on the civilian side.)

You also see the flip side of that in the overcompensaters who try too hard at the bar. Wierd to see pilots pushing 30 acting like frat boys

We're all adults- if you're worried about the PC police, maybe you ought to work on that inner d-bag that comes out after a few? Maybe? Just be cool and be you

Last edited:
I meant to say it earlier -This is a really good post.
(can be the type A mil types too who went to the "zoo", right into uber achievements...and on- but have definitely seen it firsthand on the civilian side.)

You also see the flip side of that in the overcompensaters who try too hard at the bar. Wierd to see pilots pushing 30 acting like frat boys

We're all adults- if you're worried about the PC police, maybe you ought to work on that inner d-bag that comes out after a few? Maybe? Just be cool and be you
You know, I've never done or said anything on an overnight that I would feel uncomfortable explaining to the Chief Pilot if ever questioned about it.

I go downstairs to meet crew members probably 85% of the time and it is not completely out of the ordinary to meet up with "most" of the crew members that I came in with. Maybe I am naive, but I judge the audience and keep my behavior equally or less baudy than those that I am conversing with and I have never once fealt like I stepped over the imaginary line that might have me explaining my behavior to my superiors.

I won't lie and say I haven't heard stories from others where they were unfairly targeted as being "inappropriate" and then doing the carpet dance, but I ussually feel like there must be more to the story than I'm being told or that individual wouldn't be asked to explain the situation. Again, maybe that is a naive view but it is solely based on my own experience. I will add that I'm very happily married and am never trying to get laid on overnights, which is where I think most folks get themselves in trouble.

Well said Howard.

But I'll illuminate the getting laid crowd as well. "Trying" to get laid is what gets guys in trouble. You're not a frat boy. Work on yourself outside the bar. Physically. Socially. Get on an internet dating site and go on lots of dates (the world is full of women who just want a decent guy with a job who's not a leech). If you don't spend enough time with women, it will make you weird around them. Make yourself more interesting. Live in ways that make you more confident.
You get far more women, and much better quality of interactions when you stop TRYING so hard and just be a human being.
I always let the woman drive the getting laid train. You still got to be a man- know the signs and make your move- but learn to feel it out. Guys get into trouble when they pressure a situation to close the deal. (Dumb too, bc usually, if it's going to happen at all, a little more patience and better timing and it will happen. If not, let it go)
You never want either of you to wake up regretting. That's when it's really not cool anytime, but especially mixing it with work. This idea though, that you have to avoid the bar bc you might do something... C'mon. Grow up and live a little.
If you fear that, you need to get to work on yourself and stop pretending the problem isn't in the mirror.

Well said Howard.

But I'll illuminate the getting laid crowd as well. "Trying" to get laid is what gets guys in trouble. You're not a frat boy. Work on yourself outside the bar. Physically. Socially. Get on an internet dating site and go on lots of dates (the world is full of women who just want a decent guy with a job who's not a leech). If you don't spend enough time with women, it will make you weird around them. Make yourself more interesting. Live in ways that make you more confident.
You get far more women, and much better quality of interactions when you stop TRYING so hard and just be a human being.
I always let the woman drive the getting laid train. You still got to be a man- know the signs and make your move- but learn to feel it out. Guys get into trouble when they pressure a situation to close the deal. (Dumb too, bc usually, if it's going to happen at all, a little more patience and better timing and it will happen. If not, let it go)
You never want either of you to wake up regretting. That's when it's really not cool anytime, but especially mixing it with work. This idea though, that you have to avoid the bar bc you might do something... C'mon. Grow up and live a little.
If you fear that, you need to get to work on yourself and stop pretending the problem isn't in the mirror.

This is literally the strangest diatribe I have ever read on any forum.

Latest resources

Back