Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Geez, people, relax. Wave is just trying to encourage folks to be sociable. Like many messages, it was lost on those who seem to need to hear it most.

I consider it a privelege to be able to treat my crew to a drink or two . . . . sometimes, I get to treat the whole crew to dinner, when we have a decent layover together (pretty rare on the AirTran 737 side, since Pilots and F/A's have different pairings). f you have something else going on, that's cool, too, but it's enjoyable when we can make it happen.

Geez, people, relax. Wave is just trying to encourage folks to be sociable. Like many messages, it was lost on those who seem to need to hear it most.

I consider it a privelege to be able to treat my crew to a drink or two . . . . sometimes, I get to treat the whole crew to dinner, when we have a decent layover together (pretty rare on the AirTran 737 side, since Pilots and F/A's have different pairings). f you have something else going on, that's cool, too, but it's enjoyable when we can make it happen.

Universal acceptance of the value of mandatory fun is just around the corner, but first there will be universal acceptance of the fact that military pilots are better. :D

Sorry, but I've never seen the appeal of hanging out with the people I've just been locked in an aluminum tube with for 8 hours. If that's considered mandatory at SWA, just one more reason I'm glad to get out.

This is another reason why the culture at Pinnacle sucked so bad. 10 hour overnights and thousands that think just like this.

This is a bit of an internal thing, but there are a lot of lurkers from SWA on FI, so here goes.
We all know the culture has taken it on the chin through stagnation, older crew, lots of change, and a CEO with an accountant mentality following one of the most dynamic and personal ceo's in airline history.

BUT!
If you're flying with a probation crew, IT IS NOT OPTIONAL TO COME DOWN AND BUY A BEER OR TWO, AND MAYBE SOME FOOD.
IT WAS DONE FOR YOU.

That part of the culture is on us. Step up

Hey Wave, just saw this post, and thanks for posting it. I was treated to many drinks and meals during my probationary period, and I always try to pay it forward. The only time I slam click is if we finish so late that everything is closed.

If my FO is on probation, I buy drinks and dinner. If not? I still buy his drinks. I just had an Austin overnight and bought dinner and drinks for a brand new flight attendant. The rest of the crew slammed.

One of my favorite things about this job is the opportunity to socialize after a day of team work. Besides, my wife hates it when I drink at home, so I have to do it somewhere.

Last edited:
Whatever... ostracizing people for not spending THEIR own money in ways that YOU think they should... that is what is hurting us. I agree that it is cool when people spend THEIR money to benefit other folks on their crew. I do it myself... my last trip in fact, but I hate people trying to shame others about their overnight habits.

Haha
AND ... That's why The usair culture dominates instead of Piedmont and PSA.
Which were you? Bc those guys are freaking great.

Let me tell you something that is getting somewhat lost but not gone at SWA-
We do encourage pilots to spend their money on the culture. Every new hire class donates $1,737, or more to the charity of their choosing. Ultimately we do want to breed the "it's all about me" OUT of the company. It's voluntary- but except for the snags who are dicks and take advantage and expect it (FAs sometimes- rarely pilots), you really should want to do it. And we get paid enough to do it.
It's kinda like when your parents first made you spend your own money on Christmas and bday presents- but you were a selfish 9 year old and didn't want to. But after they made you for a year or two, you learned how satisfying it is.

It's kinda like that. Except we aren't 9. And this thread shouldn't have to be had.

Do your part to keep your airline a good place to work

Last edited:
Ok guys we get it....! Now go set up a tent with several hot rocks in the middle, pour water over them and chant away until a few pass out.

This is another reason why the culture at Pinnacle sucked so bad. 10 hour overnights and thousands that think just like this.

If you can't keep yourself entertained on an overnight without having to spend the entire time with the crew, then you're the problem.

Latest resources

Back