Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southwest slam clicks- c'mon captains....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Oh, I do too, but it's far from universal. There are plenty of times I'm flying with some guy I have no desire to spend any additional time with, and I feel no obligation to do so because of some idiotic CULTure. If I want to go to the bar, I will. If I don't, I won't. "Culture" be damned.

There are times that I don't care for the guy I'm paired up with and most likely will not go down for dinner/drinks. I get it.

The cool thing about SW is that most of the guys/girls are awesome, and you WANT to hang out. Hell, one overnight we had a Delta FO that could stand her CA and hung out with us all night. It was a great evening.

Go, don't go. It's not so much about the culture, rather a lot of the crew members are fun to be around.

This is a bit of an internal thing, but there are a lot of lurkers from SWA on FI, so here goes.
We all know the culture has taken it on the chin through stagnation, older crew, lots of change, and a CEO with an accountant mentality following one of the most dynamic and personal ceo's in airline history.

BUT!
If you're flying with a probation crew, IT IS NOT OPTIONAL TO COME DOWN AND BUY A BEER OR TWO, AND MAYBE SOME FOOD.
IT WAS DONE FOR YOU.

That part of the culture is on us. Step up

Wow! Sounds like you have a chronic problem and not just a few instances.

The childish sense of entitlement in your original post seems to indicate that the problem is you.

It's just a different world now. It's not 1995 anymore, things have changed...

Time and scale effect.

The bigger the outfit gets, the more difficult it is to keep that "small airline" feel and resulting camaraderie born from the early struggle to survive as an airline. But change doesn't have to generate animosity.

Your well intended, polite efforts to keep that feeling going are worthwhile but may not be successful. I suppose it's not the end of the world but perhaps the end of an era.

Maybe it's just natural.

I've done it both ways and will admit smaller is better, at least in the "cultural" aspects.

Don't sweat it. I wish your company the best.

Last edited:
Wow! Sounds like you have a chronic problem and not just a few instances.

The childish sense of entitlement in your original post seems to indicate that the problem is you.

You'd have to work here to understand. It's not about entitlement at all..

You'd have to work here to understand. It's not about entitlement at all..

Eh, he's just shooting the messenger. Got to expect that when I've been a troll on FI for so long:)

But no. It can't happen to me. I'm not a captain and I'm not on probation. It's not common even- just at SWA I want to remind pilots that you do stick out like a sore thumb when other crews end up buying for the probation FO or FA that you were flying with.

I'm sure it is somewhat natural.
You may connect with people now and not see them for a year
But it's also just energy. Priorities change, esp when people get families- but it doesn't have to be a false choice. Family or coming down on overnights/ -

Notice it. There's a fine line between lazy and pacing yourself:)
I've never felt like an hour would make or break how much rest I get.
Then again, I don't tend to overdo it and have honed my Houdini skills;)

Time and scale effect.

The bigger the outfit gets, the more difficult it is to keep that "small airline" feel and resulting camaraderie born from the early struggle to survive as an airline. But change doesn't have to generate animosity.

Your well intended, polite efforts to keep that feeling going are worthwhile but may not be successful. I suppose it's not the end of the world but perhaps the end of an era.

Maybe it's just natural.

I've done it both ways and will admit smaller is better, at least in the "cultural" aspects.

Don't sweat it. I wish your company the best.

Eh, he's just shooting the messenger. Got to expect that when I've been a troll on FI for so long:)

But no. It can't happen to me. I'm not a captain and I'm not on probation. It's not common even- just at SWA I want to remind pilots that you do stick out like a sore thumb when other crews end up buying for the probation FO or FA that you were flying with.

Sounds very "cultish". "You will eat our food, you will drink our drinks, you will be around us even more, you will pay us back when you upgrade. You will be an outcast if you dont participate. You will be assimilated."

Does it now?
:)
That's pretty funny - and which legacy do you work for?
No matter which one you name, I'll find you 5 retired from there that are annoyed that this generation doesn't have the good living ability to show up and have a cold one at the end of a day.
It's so popular to say "this career isn't half what it used to be" while ignoring that it's often our own attitude, laziness, and dbag-ness that makes it that way.

It's not a cult to not want to suck at living.

No, I rarely let my captains get a tab- I have it, so I get it- and I like doing that too- Some captains have been buying rounds for 2 decades, so it's a cool thing to get one for them. We just have a lot of probies flying around and guys in the habit lately of slam clicking. I don't think they're usually trying to shun people- I think that we've had a couple rounds of stagnation, a lot of internal hires who are new but not necessarily new, so pilots just got in the habit of not making the effort.
Ultimately that hurts us
Whatever... ostracizing people for not spending THEIR own money in ways that YOU think they should... that is what is hurting us. I agree that it is cool when people spend THEIR money to benefit other folks on their crew. I do it myself... my last trip in fact, but I hate people trying to shame others about their overnight habits.

Latest resources

Back