Southwest off the runway in Spokane..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
tie1on,

Is that the best you can come up with? Seriously, what was that? I guess your next post will have some reference to the lack of clothing worn by the crew or they were in a hurry to get to the bar.....please.

Dude, I am not going to defend tieon, because until we know the facts we should not comment .... BUT I know it is the 1st thing that enters my mind about any SWA incident.

I have been a pax on several SWA flights during a rather, how shall we say, swift taxi's. I sat at LAX one day and watched SWA airplanes taxi by at speeds in excess. All while giving my old flight instuctor (now an SWA captain) crap about their taxi speeds. Even he laughed it off , but would not deny my observations.

Until the few SWA guys that still taxi at excessive speeds slow down we will still continue to jump to conclusions.

Last edited:
Not good but maybe not as bad as 1st reported...

SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) - A Southwest Airlines plane with 118 passengers on board skidded off a snow-covered taxiway Sunday afteroon after safely landing at Spokane International Airport, the airline said.

No one was injured.

The pilot of Southwest Flight 485, bound from Portland, Ore., was slowly taxiing to the gate when the front wheels of the plane slid off the taxiway around 1:40 p.m., said Brandy King, a spokeswoman for the Dallas-based carrier.

Heavy snow had been falling on Spokane and the surrounding region since Saturday.

The airport had to shut down operations until crews could move the Boeing 737, which was obstructing a taxiway, King said.

Southwest used three buses to shuttle the plane's passengers and five crew members to the terminal.

The plane will be removed from service for routine inspection to make sure it wasn't damaged and that mechanical failure did not play a role in the incident, King said.

At least they made it off the runway ok. But how does this Spokesperson in Dallas know at what speed the plane was taxiing at. Just my guess, and all of us are guessing by SWA traditional taxi standards, that they were NOT taxiing at a slow speed.

...Funny how one article says that went off the Runway, then another article says they went off the taxiway. Which one is it? I guess the runway makes for a better Breaking News story.

Last edited:
Good thing alaska Airlines didn't crash into them if they went off the taxiway. They might have had to go around if they were landing on the taxiway.

Why does this happen every week?

It doesn't happen every week. Rather, my guess is you WISH it happened every week.

There are a few other airlines out there who have a reputation for taxiing with all the speed of a glacier, yet they still manage to put one off a taxiway somewhere most every winter. Big airlines=lots of flights (>3600/day for us)=more frequent chance of rolling snakeyes.

So what was your point, again?

...Funny how one article says that went off the Runway, then another article says they went off the taxiway. Which one is it? I guess the runway makes for a better Breaking News story.

Because a taxiway and a runway are one in the same to media and pax--and if it ain't a runway, it's a friggin' TARMAC.

C'mon guys, I can't believe this made it in the news. Southwest puts one off in PHX at least once a year and it rarely makes the news. Their spin doctors must be taking a nap. Everyone in aviation knows how the majority of Southwest pilots fly. Heck, of the guys that left my commuter for Southwest one went off the runway twice, one landed on a taxiway, and another blew up three engines.

Latest resources

Back