Southwest off the runway in Spokane..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
was the CA over 60?

Cuz' this might be one of the first of an eventual many instances where the slower reaction times and more susceptibility to stress and fatigue make many question why this country decided to screw over the majority of the pilot population by passing age 65 :)

(thought someone else would beat me to saying that)
More likely some new (thirty-something) Captain that, like, sorta forgot, somewhere inside the marker, that the runway was--ya know, covered with ice and snow...

I wouldn't want to presume anything. The conditions looked extreme on the video. It could have happened to anyone who is in the habit of taxiing too fast and making 2g turns off the runway.

That was a really novel post there Ultra. Thanks for posting it twice. I watch for you on the 6 O'clock news.

That was a really novel post there Ultra. Thanks for posting it twice. I watch for you on the 6 O'clock news.
Thank you for pointing out that the system posted the message a second time. I have deleted the second posting.

Good luck on the 6 o'clock news.

It was definetly a rough day for all airlines in spokane yesterday. My company could not move a plane until mid-morning. Braking action was poor. The ILS 21 was out. The only carriers I saw move were Republic, Skywest, and Expressjet.

There was about 6 inches of accumulation on the ramps with a few bigger burms in some places.

Watching the Expressjet ERJ's taxi was like watching someone out 4 wheelin'. Lest I forget. . .their nosewheels were completely submerged in snow at some points.

Still nothing from Gen Lee?

Either The General has done this himself, or he is upset that this didnt happen in Lubbock.

This Lawyer in the story wasn't as nice to the SWA crew as others. Of course, he is a Lawyer.
[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif]Southwest Airlines 737 Skids on Snow at Washington's Spokane International Airport[/FONT]

2008-01-29 00:11:31 - Contact: Karen Bertoli, Public Affairs Director, Kreindler & Kreindler LLP [email protected] 312.399.7878

For Immediate Release:
Southwest Safety Incident Not the First Time
Southwest Airlines 737 Skids on Snow at Washington's Spokane International Airport

New York, NY January 28, 2008 . . .Southwest Airlines Flight 485 slides off a snow covered taxiway after landing at Washington's Spokane International Airport (GEG) Sunday afternoon. The
737, inbound from Portland, Oregon, was taxiing to the gate at around 1:40 pm when the plane's nosegear departed the snow-covered taxiway. The passengers and crew were fortunate not to be seriously injured. Southwest flight crews have a history of undertaking similarly risky aircraft operations.

'This is at least the fourth instance where a Southwest jet has overrun a runway or ran off a taxiway in just the past few years. It continues to raise serious safety concerns about Southwest's operations and culture,- says Dan Rose, partner at Kreindler & Kreindler LLP who has and is currently handling cases stemming from two separate Southwest Airlines runway overrun incidents.

One overrun occurred on Dec. 8, 2005 when Southwest Airlines Flight 1248 was landing in a snowstorm at Midway Airport and skidded off the runway killing Joshua Woods, 6, in front of his family. Similar weather conditions to the ones in Spokane prevailed at time of this incident.

Kreindler & Kreindler LLP are the worst batch of CFR Truck chasing dirtbag lawyers on Earth. Their bread and butter is screwing pilots. They are always the first ones at any accident site blaming the crew and soliciting people to sue.

Regardless of politics, I'm happy to have ALPA on my side knowing these guys are out there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back