Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Best of luck to all those who apply!

For those of you who decide to come over, a word of caution: we're entering contract negotiations now, and you'll be hearing a lot of BS being thrown around by various members of management, including a threat to "get rid of" home basing. This is likely to coincide with a mention of CASS.

Do not let this get to you. Home basing IS NOT on the table, and it will never be. We WILL get CASS, it's just a matter of time.

Things are getting better, and our pilot group is getting stronger. It used to be that we were "300+ independent contractors" but 1224 is working hard to solidify the group.

When you come on board, register for the SACG website. Even if you don't feel like participating, keep abreast of what's going on. It's impossible to get the entire group in one place at one time to pass information, so it's up to you to follow along.

I think you'll be happy over here, overall. It's a lot more fun than flying cattle in a light twin, and more satisfying as well. With the new airframes coming on board, and the new duty regs coming down from the FAA, those of you who get onboard at the beginning of the wave will see rapid movement.

Best of luck to all involved, and please, DO post your interview experiences here for the new guys!

Gringo

I am curious to know: Are the schedules better at Atlas or World vs Southern and why? If so, what in their contracts makes them better?

I am curious to know: Are the schedules better at Atlas or World vs Southern and why? If so, what in their contracts makes them better?

I have no knowledge of the Southern contract, but I know a few FE's that went to Southern last year while furloughed from Atlas. They say their schedules are a lot worst at Southern. A lot more sitting around, messed up schedules, travel messed up and hotels not reserved. They got a recall to Atlas right after starting at Southern and regret not taking it.

Disclaimer, things may be getting better if Gringo is right. But, if your thinking things will get better just because your in negotiations, don't count on it. I bet you have at least three years to go before a new contract is signed.

I have no knowledge of the Southern contract, but I know a few FE's that went to Southern last year while furloughed from Atlas. They say their schedules are a lot worst at Southern. A lot more sitting around, messed up schedules, travel messed up and hotels not reserved. They got a recall to Atlas right after starting at Southern and regret not taking it.

Disclaimer, things may be getting better if Gringo is right. But, if your thinking things will get better just because your in negotiations, don't count on it. I bet you have at least three years to go before a new contract is signed.

^^^^Everything said above true, southern travel and scheduling is so jacked up, heard this from one of our top manager last month; and i quote " If the company can't get scheduling and travel under control we will be out of business in the next 6 months". But the good new is the company is aware of how F-Up they are.

We will totally be all out on the street within the next six months. With the new long-term DHL contract we just signed, the new long term Saudia contract we just signed, the new 777 CMI contract we've signed (I'm not going to say with whom until the Company comes out with a press release, but they were recently mentioned in other cargo newsletters. Like I said before, it's a dynamite client)... totally. We're losing money like it's going out of style.

Plus we're hiring what, 130 pilots? Because everybody knows that's exactly what one does right before they go out of business. Increase the pilot group by 33%.

It just makes sense that inefficient travel and scheduling is what's going to sink us. Totally.

Anyone got that number to that truck driving school?

Ros, our schedules depend on the contract. The Malaysian contract has you sitting a lot on your @$$. The Ethiopian or adhoc contracts have you flying a lot. Korean has a good amount of flying.

What you need to realize is that that there really is no such thing as a "schedule" in the ACMI world, regardless of whether you're at Atlas, Omni, Southern or Kalitta. When you leave your home, your butt basically belongs to the company, and you can end up anywhere. Most of the time, you'll fly whatever routes you bid for, but as an example, a few months ago I was awarded the Korean line. I started in Anchorage, and ended up in Dubai. It's just the way it is.

Like I said, the amount of flying you do more or less rests on whatever contract you're flying. If you like to sit, bid Malaysian. I haven't broken 30 hours there in well over 6 months. If you want to get closer to 40-50 hours, adhoc or Ethiopian have been good to me.

Ultimately, however, the question you posed is a moot point. Our schedules are what they are; if you're trying to compare to Atlas, you'll be disappointed. But unless you have a job offer from Atlas, what difference does it make? And if you DO have an offer from Atlas, you should take it.

The bottom line is the schedules are what they are, some better than others, all of them nothing like what you're used to flying where you're at. Welcome to the world of ACMI. We're working to make scheduling more efficient, but it's a Sisyphean task. But until that happens, relax and enjoy the ride.

Latest resources

Back