• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought Southern had a pool with guys in it from last year? Alot of guys.

I believe there was a pool of roughly 20 folks from last year. Some have opted to moved on to other things since then but not all. I also believe there will still be several slots available after going through the existing pool so don't let that discourage you. Good luck in your endeavours.

Gringo,

What's the deal with all of the recent pilot movement to the 777? Is it because of new incoming 777 airframes or due to pilots leaving the 777 (i.e., attrition)? Does the 777 pay better than the 747s? Is flying the Whale just unattractive vs. the 777 these days???? I still remember the days when everyone was dying to someday fly a Whale... I guess too many buttons, switches and knobs. :confused::rolleyes::laugh:

The recent "big movement" to the 777 last month can be mostly attributed to the CMI deal that was being worked on. It's my understanding that Boeing has super limited slots available to perform training, so the company had to get the 777 pilot pool spooled up before the deal was signed.

The same thing applies to the 400. We're going to have pilots fully trained and ready for it before we get one on property (although the rumor is that we now actually do have an N number), due to Boeing's lack of training capacity.

The 777 pays the same as the Classic and 400; poorly. But we're gonna fight like hell to improve that with the new contract.

As for why people are leaving the 200 to go to the 777, well, there's many reasons. I'd like to say it's SJS, but in reality, it's a supremely marketable type rating. It's also a NextGen aircraft, and lots of guys are simply tired of flying steam gauge, trying to calculate descent points, flying non-FMS aircraft, etc etc. I'm looking forward to moving over there as well, when I can hold the left seat.

As far as QOL goes, however, my money is on the Classic. The current plan is to have the 200's strictly flying the AMC contracts in the near future. The missions are rewarding, the catering is beyond excellent, as as former military, I enjoy this type of flying the most. Not to say that the QOL on the 777 or the 400 is bad either, but I prefer AMC flying over anything else that we do.

Hoping for a call too. Flying AMC missions and flying to all these countries seems like an enjoyable challenge.....Fingers crossed...

What is the outlook on the AMC flying for the near future? Is this going to be reduced alot with Iraq and Afghanistan winding down? Also, why does the upgrade on the 747 Classic go so junior? I keep hearing that if hired on in this next round that the 747 Classic left seat could come in a year to a year and a half. How could this happen and why does nobody want that seat?

What is the outlook on the AMC flying for the near future? Is this going to be reduced alot with Iraq and Afghanistan winding down? Also, why does the upgrade on the 747 Classic go so junior? I keep hearing that if hired on in this next round that the 747 Classic left seat could come in a year to a year and a half. How could this happen and why does nobody want that seat?

The senior 200 Captains are moving over to the 777 and 400. Upgrade in under 18 months, at current rates, is completely possible. So it's not that nobody wants the seat, its simply that the senior guys are moving upwards in aircraft sophistication. Same thing happens just about everywhere else, too.

Like I said before, the 777 (and 400) type rating is supremely marketable, whereas the 200 isn't anymore. I think the 200 will have the better flying, but the 777 type will future-proof your career.

As far as the outlook for AMC flying, I don't have any specific numbers, but I would imagine that the winding down of Iraq and Afghanistan will take quite some time. Plus we have ongoing military operations worldwide. I believe our plan is to have up to 5 birds dedicated to the AMC, so there's still plenty of flying to be done in them!

Some follow on questions: What airframe do you anticipate newhires will be assigned to? Is there any seatlock for switching between airframes or for upgrade? Could a 777 F/O bid 747 Classic Capt once seniority allows? For the guys leaving Southern, where are they going? Do most guys on property plan on staying long term from your experience? Do most guys hang out alot when on the road or do you typically find yourself spending much time alone?

Some follow on questions: What airframe do you anticipate newhires will be assigned to? Is there any seatlock for switching between airframes or for upgrade? Could a 777 F/O bid 747 Classic Capt once seniority allows? For the guys leaving Southern, where are they going? Do most guys on property plan on staying long term from your experience? Do most guys hang out alot when on the road or do you typically find yourself spending much time alone?

Roz, neither I nor just about anyone else right now knows which airframe the new hires are going to go; I'm thinking the 200, due to the equipment lock expiring on many of our current guys flying the Classic. There is no seat lock, but that can change in the future. I'm not expecting it to, just saying that it's a possibility.

Once your equipment lock is up, you can bid for any seat you want. 777FO to 742 Captain? No prob. 742 Captain to 777FO? You betcha. Seniority will determine whether you get the bid or not.

As for on the road, most of the guys (and girls, we do have a few flying here) like to go out of the hotel when sitting on their butts for days at a time. It really depends; I've been with crews who couldn't be bothered to leave their rooms, and I've been with crews who were desperately trying to re-live their drunken fratboy days. But for the most part, the crews here are probably like the crews at any other ACMI carrier; they tend to hang out as one unit while on the road. Just like at Atlas, Polar or Kalitta, you'll get some guys who are excellent road warriors, some not so much.

I don't know if most guys plan on staying here long term, but a lot of them (that I talk to, anyway) seem to want to. A lot of them, especially the more senior guys, really don't see any point in leaving here to start at the bottom of another list somewhere, especially with contract negotiations coming up. You see, because "as bad" as things are over here, a lot of guys realize that a) it's not really that bad, and b) there's really no place to go but up. 24 months ago I would have thought differently, but today no. The guys who do leave (and there has been a significant amount these past few months) tend to go to "career" airlines; Atlas, JetBlue, Southwest. At least one went to the 777 at Emirates. A bunch have taken their recall to AA. Some engineers have left for Kalitta; I'm told a Captain left to go right seat there, but I don't buy it, and my friends there haven't been able to confirm it.

Hope this helps.

How long is the equipment lock? How would you rate the training and maintenance at Southern? Do newhires receive full PIC types in the 777 and 744 but not in the 747 Classic? What is a 'typical' trip like? Is it usually one leg, then two or three days in the hotel followed by one leg, etc? Do you guys get any travel benefits on any carriers (ZED agreements, cabin jumpseat agreements, etc)? Thanks again!

How long is the equipment lock? How would you rate the training and maintenance at Southern? Do newhires receive full PIC types in the 777 and 744 but not in the 747 Classic? What is a 'typical' trip like? Is it usually one leg, then two or three days in the hotel followed by one leg, etc? Do you guys get any travel benefits on any carriers (ZED agreements, cabin jumpseat agreements, etc)? Thanks again!

2 year equipment lock. Maintenance is getting better. They no longer consider the APU to be a deferable "crew comfort" item. Training is about average for ACMI. Getting better, it seems, but still more of a "home study DIY fire-hose" type of environment. Also, training goes for 6 days a week, which is bull$#it, but there you have it.FO's get PIC types in the 777 and 400, SIC type in the Classic. No such thing as a "typical" leg. You might fly one or two legs in a day then sit for a whole week, or you might be flying a lot. Or a little. Or somewhere in between. Lots of guys use this down time to learn another language, trade the markets, finish school, catch up on sleep, etc etc. No travel benefits. You get to keep your miles, but currently, that's about it. If you live in Daytona, you'll rack up those Delta miles fast. If you live in New York, you'll rack up a few points on a lot of airlines spread about. I'm told we can jumpseat on JetBlue, and maybe a few others, but I haven't tried it myself.

And as far as the 777 CMI deal, nothing official yet, but I hear it's a dynamite customer...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back