Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

swordfish

11-0095 Post Date 6/28/2011 Title Pilot City Home Based Description Job Title: Captain – First Officer – International Relief Officer
Position Type: Full Time
Travel Required: International and Domestic
__________________________________________________________________________________
Join the Industry Pioneer
Launch an exciting career at Southern Air, the premier global air cargo service provider! We operate a fleet of B747-200F’s and are the only ACMI operator of B777F’s, providing a wide range of air cargo services for the World’s Flag Carriers, Charter Brokers, Shippers and Governments.
Great talent is the key to our success, and we strive to create an environment where employees are enabled to contribute to their full potential by leveraging their unique experiences, perspective, and viewpoints. We take pride in delivering exceptional service to our customers, and providing our employees the experience of a lifetime… being part of a multi-cultural, global community which is shaping the future of our organization and touches the lives of people all over the world.

General Description:

Provide safe and efficient operation of aircraft in accordance with FAA and Southern Air requirements. Crewmembers will be required to travel worldwide.

Responsibilities:

The crews are responsible for the safe conduct of the flight crew, cargo and flight. The crew will insure compliance with FAA regulations, ETOPS, RVSM and company policies. The crew will maintain a thorough knowledge and adherence to the GOM, Operational Bulletins, FARs flight Procedures and other instructions pertinent to the crewmembers duties.
Requirements Captain/ First Officer/ International Relief Officer (IRO):
• BA/ BS degree - preferred
• Current US passport
• ATP MEL - preferred. Captain/ IRO must complete ATP during new hire training
• Commercial MEL INST Airplane
• FCC Radiotelephone Operator’s permit
• DOT/ TSA and FAA required pre-employment checks must be completed
• ATP written – to be completed within the first year of employment
• Current FAA First Class Medical – required
• Crewmembers will be required to work 20 consecutive days a month

Flight Time:

First Officer/ IRO:
• 3,000 total time
• 500 MEL
• 500 hours in a large MEL airplane, over 41,000 pounds - preferred
• International experience - preferred
• IRO - 1500 hours

Captain:
• 2,500 hours total time on Large Group II Transport Category aircraft (turbojet aircraft of more than 41,000 pounds, maximum certificated takeoff weight), and
• 1,000 hours of Pilot-in-Command in Large Group II Transport Category aircraft (turbojet aircraft of more than 41,000 pounds, maximum certificated take-off weight)

Or:

o 1,000 hours Second-in-Command in Large Group II Transport Category aircraft (turbojet aircraft of more than 41,000 pounds, maximum certificated take-off weight), and
o 500 hours as Second-in-Command in either the B747 or 777F aircraft with Southern Air

Southern Air is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, religion, citizenship, national origin/ancestry, physical/mental disabilities, military status or any other basis prohibited by law. AA/EOE, M/F/D/V

When do the 400s arrive? Are they still planning on 400s and a few more 777s?

Also, is it likely that newhires will start on the 747-200/300 vs. the 777?

When do the 400s arrive? Are they still planning on 400s and a few more 777s?

Also, is it likely that newhires will start on the 747-200/300 vs. the 777?

Dunno the answer to your second question, but currently as it stands we're expecting 777 #'s 3&4 next year, in addition to the CMI contract with crews already in training.

The first two -400's are expected within the next 6 months. We were told this same thing exactly a year ago, only to see those two vanish, but this time it looks a bit more promising. I'll truly believe it when I see them painted in our colors and marked "AOG", but so far fairly promising...

Have they announced who the CMI deal is with?

No, not yet.

Also, from an internal company email, looks like you have to apply online.

I am pleased to announce that we have posted the Pilot positions on our career website at www.southernair.com/careers.**********
For consideration, all candidates will need to apply via this posting.*****
Crew member referrals that apply will have the opportunity to indicate who referred them to Southern Air.
Resumes will only be reviewed for candidates that have applied on-line.***** Resumes should not be forwarded via email.*****

Dunno the answer to your second question, but currently as it stands we're expecting 777 #'s 3&4 next year, in addition to the CMI contract with crews already in training.

The first two -400's are expected within the next 6 months. We were told this same thing exactly a year ago, only to see those two vanish, but this time it looks a bit more promising. I'll truly believe it when I see them painted in our colors and marked "AOG", but so far fairly promising...

I just Had a Line check by RC ( RC in upper management) and he told us that SA has NOT bought any 400's- We can only hope they will come sometime soon.

I just Had a Line check by RC ( RC in upper management) and he told us that SA has NOT bought any 400's- We can only hope they will come sometime soon.

Could also be that we'll start off providing CMI services, possibly with the existing Malaysian 400's. I've heard that scenario played out a few times as well. Regardless, looks like the company is still moving forward with their 400 plans, whether or not we actually own any N numbers yet...

Here's the updated link to the hiring website. My iPhone cut'n'paste goofed up the previous link posted...

https://www6.ultirecruit.com/SOU1027/JobBoard/JobDetails.aspx?__ID=*02106FA12449ED75

This is a bit interesting. They interviewed and hired several of us into a pool last October. I have not heard anything from them yet.

Latest resources

Back