• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Southern Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So would the two year equipment lock prevent an FO from upgrading to Classic Capt from say 777 FO even if seniority could hold it at 18 mos?

So would the two year equipment lock prevent an FO from upgrading to Classic Capt from say 777 FO even if seniority could hold it at 18 mos?

Technically, yes, although the company could waive the seat lock when it suits them, as they just did last month with the 777 bid.

That being said, however, spending a few more months in the right seat would not be a bad idea, especially if all you've flown was domestic daytime passenger ops. This is a whole different ballgame, and you're out here pretty much all alone. Nobody's holding your hand down in Africa, and you certainly don't want to be put in a position where the first time you experience something outside your comfort zone is when you're sitting in the left seat. If you've never flown widebody ACMI before, it's a steep learning curve. You'll be in non-radar environments, or radar environments where the controllers haven't been trained (Africa). Or dodging thunderstorms over the Indian Ocean talking to Mumbai on the HF, asking "did you understand what he just said???" to the rest of your crews. Or landing at airports that set QFE instead of QNH, while trying to convert their metric to standard. Or doing an arrival to an airport with 6 runways, but 34 different STARS. (Germans and their love of procedures!) The list goes on and on...

You're not flying in Kansas anymore Toto, but it's a HELL of a lot of fun!

Last edited:

just talk to two B777 FO last months that wanted to go back to the Classics as Captain but the company won;t let them because there aircraft locked ( there lock expires in Jan), the company removed the lock just to help the company out. spoke with our CP the other day he told me all new hires will be hired into the 400 and 777, there won't be any street captain hired! there retiring all the classic except 4. and he said we have 6- 400's, all will be on property by 2nd quarter of 2012, next/ last two b777 will be here by quarter 1. the company is presenting the 400 to the FAA on the 20th of Aug's with the hope of the first two 400's by Dec. Also told the CMI deal is not going to happen, since the company got the 777 off thai early they want to make sure that they perform well for DHL.

Sword

Last edited:
So essentially that would mean a net loss in airframes if that is the case? That's pretty different from what other people are saying. If so, I may have to rethink this whole thing as joining a shrinking company can be pretty risky.

Upcoming Interview with Southern Air

Folks; I have an upcoming Interview next week with Southern in Miami, any input, advise and inside info as for what they are looking for will be grately appreciated. Once I come out of the interview, I shall put the latest info. For NOW I have none , so reaching out there!!!!

Thanks in advance folks.

Cliff, I certainly hope you're not trying to compare SAI with the propaganda machine of Nazi Germany. Or even that of our own War Department. (God, do I miss that term- "Department of Defense" just dosen't convey the same awesomeness, does it?)

SAI certainly has its share of issues, but things are getting better. I remember a time not too long ago where Atlas's future looked just as bad as ours. They managed to turn themselves around and are now considered to be the premiere ACMI hauler in the industry.

That IS good for the Southern crews. Last I heard was about 1.5 years ago, and I was told it was bad. The captain telling me this said EVERY crewmember at Southern had been out on the road for over 30 days at that point. The capt said they were VERY short of crews and pilots and were worked like dogs.

It sounds like mgmt decided that was not the best way to run an airline...good for them!

cliff
HNL

That IS good for the Southern crews. Last I heard was about 1.5 years ago, and I was told it was bad. The captain telling me this said EVERY crewmember at Southern had been out on the road for over 30 days at that point. The capt said they were VERY short of crews and pilots and were worked like dogs.

It sounds like mgmt decided that was not the best way to run an airline...good for them!

cliff
HNL

About a year ago, we were extremely short staffed on the Classic. And the 777 guys did get royally screwed; a lot of them I'm told didn't go home for over two months. I personally was out for almost 60 days myself, but I was able to volunteer for it. Made some good money, too. Not as much as if we were Atlas or even Kalitta, but more than the norm.

There has been a lot of changes here in the last 12-18 months, and most of it for the better. The next 12-18 months look to be even more promising...
But things are much better now

Hey Gringo:
would you be able to pass any info/gouge regarding the interview. i have mine next week any input would be great please.
thanks

Hey Gringo:
would you be able to pass any info/gouge regarding the interview. i have mine next week any input would be great please.
thanks

Hi, I'm not Gringo but thought this post from Wayunderated was helpful.
I have an interview after yours (in 3 1/2 weeks) and wondered if you would post about your interview?
Thanks and good luck.

"The interview was very low key and comfortable. It started out with a group meet and greet followed by an overall discussion of "where are we now, where are we planning to go and what are we all about". Then, they wrapped it up with a question & answer session.

Afterwards, there are two face to face interviews (one with the 777 Chief Pilot and the new DO, the other with two ladies from HR) and a ride in a 737-200 sim.

The face to face interviews were very relaxed so don't get uptight. They really didn't ask any technical or "tell me about a time" questions. It felt like they just wanted to see if they liked you as an individual and they said the main purpose behind the interview was the sim evaluation.

For the sim, they usually took two interviewees at a time. One would sit in the back and watch while the other is evaluated, then you'd switch places. In the right seat, helping you out a LOT, was a Check Airman. No briefings, no checklists, just a straight forward evaluation of your flying ability. He would tell you where to bug your speeds, when to lower the flaps and the new airspeed to maintain for that configuration. You manipulate the flight controls and the thrust levers, however, you can ask him to make the final tweaks to your power settings for take off. Runway heading, a couple vectors, "turn direct to the VOR and hold X on the XXX radial". What they're looking for here is; can you enter a hold correctly, do you know what the max holding speed is for your altitude and did you think to make the required calls (i.e time entering the hold). It wouldn't hurt to brief your FO on your holding intentions and ask for confirmation. Shows good CRM and keeps you from blowing the hold because you're nervous and maybe missed the fact that he said "left turns". Then, it's vectors to the ILS for landing. On the way, they may ask "Where are you? Where's the airport in relation to us?". Then, a normal ILS to landing. The things to watch for in the sim are: Be easy on the controls! As with any plane, if you hamfist this thing, you're altitude, airspeed and heading control will be horrible! Scan constantly and be real careful of the sink as you roll into turns and the balloon as you roll out. It took surprisingly large thrust lever adjustments to maintain a level, constant airspeed turn so be prepared for that. After every flap position change, count 5 - 7 seconds and be prepared for it to balloon! Make small corrections and she'll fly beautiful. Make large corrections and you'll be all over the place. This may sound obvious but you'd be surprised how many comments there were about how hard this sim was to fly. Don't get freaked out, just use finesse and make small pitch corrections."

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Venator. It was very helpful. I will let you know how it went. Keep ur fingers crossed for me
Regards

Latest resources

Back